The online racing simulator
Plusnet customers/ STCC server users:PLS READ
As from today any Plusnet customers that were having problems with huge peak time pings and slow loading of the list of games in the lobby should see a considerable improvement.

If you are still seeing huge peak time pings please let me know in this thread and i'll get back to them.
#2 - SamH
Don't tell me PlusNet have bought some bandwidth!?

The decision by PN to buy less bandwidth than is actually required, and offset that by throttling users who consume >= average bandwidth is fundamental to PN's profiteering business model. If it were true that they HAD changed their core business practice, I'd be more than just a little bit surprised, in all honesty. Delighted, but surprised.
Is it a specific IP and/or port range they've unthrottled? Because we're opening a second server soon which will have a new IP address.

It's good news anyway
As much as i hate them, they do slowly seem to be getting their shit together.

Since the BT takeover and the sacking of the two top Plusnet bods they have twice increased the bandwidth since Feb. Still not enough to avoid having to use traffic shaping, but they do seem to be making an effort now to help gamers as much as possible.
They have been quick and communicative in (hopefully)sorting things out concerning the high pings in LFS. (tonight will tell if they have actually managed it)
They apparently already had the ports open that STCC uses, but after i sent them a Wireshark capture they seem to have spotted something and are confident they have solved the problem

Compared to a couple of months ago when they just said "there's no proof that the servers use these ports, we cant do anything" i think progress is being made.

TBH, they were getting such a mauling in their own forums, and customers were leaving in droves, that they had to start doing something, and it really seems that they may be getting somewhere at last.
Quote from Becky Rose :Is it a specific IP and/or port range they've unthrottled? Because we're opening a second server soon which will have a new IP address.

It's good news anyway

They didn't give me the technicality's Becky... but when you open the new server I'll let them know straight away if there's a problem, and I'm confident they will make sure it's accessible.
They really appear to want to help I don't know what got into them
Perhaps the amount of bandwidth they have purchased is suiteable for the new, smaller, Plusnet customer base ?

Anyway i'll happily furnish them with all rellevent IP's of all 4 STCC servers and public service ports.
Quote from Becky Rose :Perhaps the amount of bandwidth they have purchased is suiteable for the new, smaller, Plusnet customer base ?

Hehe..your probably right there.

Whatever they have done it's working well. My connection has be superb recently, and their forums have become a virtual ghost town. (probably because i haven't felt the need to post 50 times a day giving them a right good slagging off )
Still don't regret jumping off and heading for pastures new.

It's nice to see they seem to be doing something, after prompting and proving basic stuff to them.
-
(The Moose) DELETED by The Moose

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG