The online racing simulator
mp3 player in car
(14 posts, started )
mp3 player in car
i want to listen to my mp3 player through my car's radio. i know its possible to do this if the radio has a cassette player but mine only has CD, and no aux in.

when i bought the car i was told that if i change the radio i loose the audio controls on the steering wheel (and i use them all the time so i cant loose them )

does anyone have any idea how i can get my iriver working with my car? heres a pic of the radio...
Attached images
P1010106.JPG
Bah, iRiver
If you have a cigarette lighter in the car, buy a FM Transmitter.

Basically you just get a good transmitter that can set itself to a FM radio frequency that is not used by any radio station... then, it should hook up with an audio jack to your MP3 player and violla, you hear your audio through the radio .

Here is what they look like: http://shopping.yahoo.com/sear ... bGU-?p=mp3+fm+transmitter

I use one in my car with my MP3 player, and it works great. But don't buy a cheap one, because you may get unwanted fuziness or background noise. As long as you can edit the frequency, you should be set.
#4 - Bean0
This was recommended on another forum.

Its meant to work better than the type that transmit over FM (and aren't exactly legal in the UK).
thanks, i heard about the fm transmitters and heard the quality was crap.

bean0, did you mean the transmitters arent legal or the thing you posted?
I would imagine that big contraption he posted isn't legal . But maybe he is mistaken for something the intercepts radio channels, like for police?

Either way... the FM Transmitters are not bad. You just shouldn't buy a cheap one, or else the quality will be poop. Also, it does depend a lot on your antenna or something... because I once tried it in an old Jeep of mine, and that sounded horrible. But in my new car now, it sounds fine, just a tad fuzzy. But hey, what can you do when you can't replace the stereo

The good thing is, it is a very cheap alternative, and won't set you back loads of cash . And you can use it in other people's cars
#7 - Bean0
Quote from dUmAsS :thanks, i heard about the fm transmitters and heard the quality was crap.

bean0, did you mean the transmitters arent legal or the thing you posted?

The things that actually transmit wirelessly aren't exactly legal in the UK, to transmit over FM you need to buy a license for the frequencies.

The thing I linked to doesn't actually transmit as such, just feeds it down a wire. This way you can't interfere with any radio stations or emergency services equipment, and other people can't tune in to your music.
That's odd, I don't see how it could be illegal, they transmit at a max of 10 feet probably. I think you are thinking of the much larger FM transmitters... ones that actually act as a radio station for tons of people

These little ones are sold all over, never heard anything about them being 'banned'. Maybe they are... but that seems strange. How would they catch you anyways
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Tip: Check out Ebay for cheap FM modulators.

Alternatively build an In-Car PC (running linux ofc)! My next project
Quote from dUmAsS :when i bought the car i was told that if i change the radio i loose the audio controls on the steering wheel (and i use them all the time so i cant loose them )

You were told correctly... However... There's plenty of cheap radios that A) have steering wheel mounted controls out-of-the-box. B) have an MP3 CD playback function. and C) have line-in.

Most likely, there's a special connector on the back of your radio for the SW controls... Look around, and you might find that it's something other radios of the same brand have, also those with line-in or MP3 playback.

(I just made a CD with the NFSU, NFSU2, and NFS:MW soundtracks on it, put it in my car, turn the volume up to 75% and never touch it again)

Quote from the_angry_angel :
Alternatively build an In-Car PC (running linux ofc)! My next project

And hook it up to the radio without a line-in... And lose the steering wheel controls?
hmm, it looks as though ill have to go to the citroen dealership and moan at them for a bit to see how i can do it

if i change the radio it looks really out of place (all after market radios ive seen do) because they dont fit in the hole properly, or can you buy facias so it looks nice?
Yea the iTrip is illegal in this country because it runs on the BBC R2 frequency, well so I've heard

Keiran
Quote from dUmAsS :hmm, it looks as though ill have to go to the citroen dealership and moan at them for a bit to see how i can do it

if i change the radio it looks really out of place (all after market radios ive seen do) because they dont fit in the hole properly, or can you buy facias so it looks nice?

You know they have these coverboxes that make the radio panel fit any radio and look good, right? Otherwise you can make one yourself if you know your poly-works. But you probably don't need to, because there's bound to be radios made for that car that have everything you ever dreamed of. Go to the dealership and just see what they have, they should be able to help you out.

mp3 player in car
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG