The online racing simulator
good old netcode ?
(13 posts, started )
good old netcode ?
hi,

i dont know if i'm the only one troubling about the current "netcode" in LFS, but i think in the last time it was getting very bad. just a little contact between the cars mostly results in a hard crash, in which the cars are really catapulted in any direction.
I think in earlier versions of LFS, there wouldnt have benn such a crash after such a little contact...
But maybe i'm only fancying.

maybe there's a way to fix this in the next patch ?

regards, Johannes 'zockmachine' Scheuerle
ure not the only one experiencing this mate!

even when the pings are alright in some races...there still random laggs in it for some reason...and like u mentioned...those lagg explosions when cars contact
It's fine for me...
I do get some weird lag crashes with people who lag but it's fine with most people for me.
I saw a good lag crash in STCC2 the other day,
2 cars were infront when one lagged and dissapeared, 5 seconds later the said car popped back onscreen litrally in the same place as the other car infront BOOM! 1 car went one way the other car in the other , all you could hear is BEEP BEEP and a a few WTF's! in the chat menu,

Once the sorrys and explanations were said they got back to racing,
#5 - nihil
I'm not sure if the OP was actually talking about a lag crash. Its something I've noticed a few times - brushing another car can result in highly exagerated reactions. Someone lightly tapped my rear the other night and it sent me spinning - we were both sat looking at each other by the side of the road thinking "What went on there?!" Not a disappearing car thing at all...
i have the feeling it's happening more often also.

sometimes you just slightly graze someone while overtaking and the car in the outside of the turn gets shot off the track.
very annoying, because the guy in the gravel often thinks you pushed him off on purpose or just cant drive.

would be great if it could be improved a bit.
Aside from actual lag I dont see these erratic crashes at all. Certainly no big crashes that resulted from a gentle brush with another car, because whenever I check the replay it always turns out to have been lag.

I dont know if LFS can fix that.
Quote from nihil :I'm not sure if the OP was actually talking about a lag crash. Its something I've noticed a few times - brushing another car can result in highly exagerated reactions. Someone lightly tapped my rear the other night and it sent me spinning - we were both sat looking at each other by the side of the road thinking "What went on there?!" Not a disappearing car thing at all...

You don't need completely disappearing cars for lag to be present. Have you ever watched another car shoot straight through a turn in to the grass only to have him disappear for a second, then reappear down the track? That is lag and it's starting when the car appears to continue straight through the turn. At that moment, there is lag and LFS is trying to "guess" where the car is suppose to be, then the reconnection updates where he actually is. If the lag is small enough that the car doesn't disappear, it is still enough for two of you to get together and try to impossibly occupy the same space when the lag is over.
yeah its partly what i meant...

i meant if you're fighting with an opponent and you're door to door (real close) sometimes the other car just "jumps" only some centimeters left or right, and there's the crash...

another situation: if you want to warm up your tires, you're sterring left and right very fast. and if i spectate someone doing this on a server, online, he also just "jumps" around. its as if i would have low fps or sth... hard to describe

all in all the motion of the cars has to be a lot smoother, and i think in earlier patches it was smoother.
#10 - Davo
Post a multiplayer replay, it sounds like your internet connection that's lagging. Do you use wireless maybe?
Quote from zockmachine :yeah its partly what i meant...

i meant if you're fighting with an opponent and you're door to door (real close) sometimes the other car just "jumps" only some centimeters left or right, and there's the crash...

another situation: if you want to warm up your tires, you're sterring left and right very fast. and if i spectate someone doing this on a server, online, he also just "jumps" around. its as if i would have low fps or sth... hard to describe

results of a bad connection, high pin and/or low upload speed. (not u, the person u spectate).
i rarely see ppl lagging also i can touch others cars without having a crash or something wierd.
95% of these issues are just result of a bad connection.
lag is something that you can't really fix. in some areas it is bad and some it is good. it depends on what type of internet connection they have. I remember playing with some australians on DSL in TRD3 and there was hardly any lag. yet when I played againced other Vancouverites there was lots of lag. I found GTR2 online had the second least amount of lag. LFS is first. natrally. Nascar Racing 2003 had a ing amount of lag.
I don't think wireless would make a differnece in connection lag. look at cell phones.
True wireless even has faster ping than a land line, the problem with wireless though is that it is generally much worse in the lost packet department (i.e. creates lag)

good old netcode ?
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG