The online racing simulator
How to get insim working?
(7 posts, started )
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I have had problems getting insim going, I cant get any of the add on programs working with insim, doesn't matter what version of LFS I have had, it never seems to have worked.

I have followed the instructions and still it never seems to connect to LFS.

Anybody have the patience to explain it to me?

Maybe its just me being thick and not seeing something
I was having the same problem but here's what I did. On lfsworld/insim or w.e, i put the I.P. as 127.0.0.1 I doubt i even need that part but w/e. For the port, i put 29999 and the password mike. I wanted to use lfs tv director, so i set that to use port 29998. Then, I went to start, settings, control panel, Security, and clicked the firewall tab. Then advanced or w/e, and Add port. I named it 29999 and the # was 29999, and click the UDP tab, or w/e it's called. Not the Tcs one. Then I opened another port, same way, except 29998. Then In game, i typed, /insim 29998 and it worked. /insim 29999 gave me some bind fail, but w/e. I'm sure half the stuff I did was unneccesary, but that's step by step what I did, because I spent two days trying to figure it out and nothing worked.
I am still having no success, I have Mcafee firewall, and am sure I used to get it all working, but don't ever remember opening any ports.

I've even tried disabling the firewall (no idea if that would make any difference) but it didn't work either.

I would be great to get sorted as I would like to use lfs tv director.

There must be a way to sort it, and I'm getting fed up scratching my head, its starting to hurt now lol.
Quote from GkillaC :I was having the same problem but here's what I did. On lfsworld/insim or w.e, i put the I.P. as 127.0.0.1

You don't need the insim relay to use an insim mod.
#5 - Davo
To get tv director working all you need to do is set the port in tv director e.g 29999. Then open lfs and type /insim 29999. You should get a welcome message that tv director has connected. If you get nothing something is wrong, but you should atleast get some kind of error.
Quote from Davo :To get tv director working all you need to do is set the port in tv director e.g 29999. Then open lfs and type /insim 29999. You should get a welcome message that tv director has connected. If you get nothing something is wrong, but you should atleast get some kind of error.

Yeah, I know that there should be a message, but nothing comes up! I've re-downloaded it, just in case there was a corruption in the file, but still no dice.

Are you sure I don't need to open ports on my firewall, as this happens with all the insim add-ons that I have downloaded? And, does it long for the welcome message to appear, cos I have left for about a half hour and still nothing?
The INSIM connection message should be instant after loading an INSIM application, or at worse a few seconds. If you have a software firewall this can indeed cause problems for INSIM programs, your software should ask you permissions to let the INSIM program work over the network and you need to agree (because connection to LFS is via a network connection, even though it is local).

Hardware firewalls (router) should not be a problem, because they worry about data in a very different way and have no effect on local traffic.

Every INSIM program has a minimum of TWO UDP ports, and if the config lets you set both then it is the UDP out or send port that needs to match the number typed in lfs with the "/insim 29999" command.

ie: If my program has an insim send of 30000 and an insim get of 29999 I would need to type /insim 30000 in LFS so that the send port of my program matches the listening port of LFS.

That's really the key, matching the port that you are sending data to the port that is receiving it.

Some programs will let you set the IP address of the machine to connect to. Usually you would set this to "127.0.0.1" which is the machine the software is running on. If you are running the software on a second machine you need to enter the local area network address for the other machine, this should start with "192.168.x.x" but could be 10.0.0.x or even 128.0.x.x. You can get exact details from the network connections panel.

Oh one last point, if you have ever hosted a game locally and you gave it a password then your INSIM will be protected by the same password. Either type the password into the INSIM application so that the password is sent, or clear the password in LFS by hosting a new multiplayer game.

(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG