The online racing simulator
Training the AI
(78 posts, started )
Training the AI
This weekend I was messing around with the AI for the first time. I set 12 AIs running round Blackwood GP in the FOX. I let them do a 48 lap race and they got down into the low 1:12s. I then set them up in a 15 minute qualifying session. This improved their times slightly again. I then kept restarting the Qualifying session and each time I did they improved a little more.

I've now got my FOX Blackwood GP AIs doing 1:10s. I wonder how much faster I can make them. Anyone else experimented like this?

GF
I tried to train UF1s at SO Long Rev. but after close to 100 laps they were still rolling the car on the same corner practically every lap.

I also tried training LX6s at KY3, but after 50+ laps I could still beat them in an LX4...
Yep, I've played around a bit with this. Tell me, do you find any improvements based on getting them to use different setups?
Quote from al heeley :Yep, I've played around a bit with this. Tell me, do you find any improvements based on getting them to use different setups?

Don't know - I gave them my setup straight away so don't have any reference point unfortunately.

Now they are doing 1:10s they are hard to beat. Sure I can run high 1:08s round there but they are so consistent that one mistake and you've lost the race! They are hard to overtake too cos they NEVER give any racing room. You have to pass them clean down into T1 under brakes else they just take you out lol. Good practice actually.
Try loading in a different setup for them, see if that alters their laptimes much.
Quote from al heeley :Try loading in a different setup for them, see if that alters their laptimes much.

I might just do that.
I had a go at this on Saturday. got a pack of FZ5's running around Westhill reverse for 50 laps. Got them down to 1.57's. Then i restarted the race and they all drove like Stevie Wonder, going off at every bend..absolute mayhem.
Have to say i was disappointed...i expected to be able to do some good training runs with them, but it seems they forgot everything they learned.
#8 - wien
Quote from The Moose :Have to say i was disappointed...i expected to be able to do some good training runs with them, but it seems they forgot everything they learned.

That's most likely because they aren't aware of tire temperatures yet. When starting a new race after having done a long training session, they will drive into T1 on cold tires like they did the last time when their tires were warm and sticky. Cue understeer and T1 madness.
#9 - CSU1
Quote from Gentlefoot :I might just do that.

You could also get your hands on one of those electric-fence transformers and get Becky to to design some sort of reversed in-sim app to electrocute the AI lol! that would teach them to go faster.....Buzzzz...Ouch! Go faster you stupid AI!!!!! lmao
Quote from wien :That's most likely because they aren't aware of tire temperatures yet. When starting a new race after having done a long training session, they will drive into T1 on cold tires like they did the last time when their tires were warm and sticky. Cue understeer and T1 madness.

That'll explain it...Thanks
Quote from Gentlefoot :Anyone else experimented like this?

A little bit. In fact I'm glad you posted this because they seem to vary. On some combinations they are just retarded, but on others... I have some UFRs on KY2 that I can hardly get close to. I thought I was just crap at that combination, but this gives me hope
So do the AI learn about stuff like tyre temperatures? I thought they were oblivious to it, like pitstops and tyre wear.
#13 - Vain
@Passing:
Set the AIs up with your 11 driving heros and one bad-setup-FXR on Fe Club and let them do some passing-practice.
They'll learn that "My position = his position => bad" and that "My position = his position + 0.5*FXRwidth + 0.5*FOXwidth = good". Fiddle with the FXR's gearbox to make it slow so it gets passed a lot. Use the FXR or any other wide car as the obstacle. If they practice passing the UF1 they'll be caught by surprise when they notice that other cars aren't as slim. Use a small track to practice passing so there's lots of lapping going on.

The AI drives a very strange line on some tracks. They need a setup that suits that line. My attempt at LX4/BL1 utterly failed because with my set they always oversteer out of the chicane, hitting the curbs and losing several seconds on the straight.
Also:
- The AIs always use the same line, even for reversed configs. So those won't ever work.
- The AIs aren't aware of downforce-issues and drafting. So don't ever expect the AIs to battle for positions in DF-cars.
- The AIs don't know about tyre heat. Try using cars that are easy on the tyres for best results. -> RB4
- Practicing passing on AIs is great for your driving style. You learn to keep your distance and to stay behind the AI-obstacle for several corners without touching it. It generally teaches you good manners. :go:

@al heeley: Each lap the AIs learn "This was too quick!" or "I can still go quicker there!". So after some laps with well heated tyres they find the limit and stay there. After a restart they try to go just as quick as with heated tyres because they don't realize that the good speeds were just down to tyre heat, which obviously causes havoc.

Vain
From what I have seen and I have played this alot they will drive the cars in to the ground ignoring tire temps, wear, damage to a degree and fuel.

Your best bet for the AI and their ability to race is to give them a setup that is forgiving and easy on tires. Also having them use different sets, and running in different cars will help them improve. And yes the AI can be great at drifting as well.

They also have to be taught to pass, overtake and draft but they will learn. They also learn much faster when driving with other people or AI. They learn from thier own experance and the other cars on the track. If you run with them and constanty drive a different line then they do they will eventualy alter their line to be closer to yours, if its faster. Thier ability to adapt and learn is rather suprising.
Omg, I believed that the AI wasn't really learning but that it was an 'imitation' of learning.

I'm really surprised. Amazing AI. Too bad it's not fast enough to follow a good racer.
The way you guys talk about it reminds me of the simpson episode where homer clones himself Great read
Its still a rather simplistic AI, Whats makes them interesting is that unlike most AI in racing sims/games they only have the same controls as a human does. They also only know where the racing surface is not an optimal line. So they have to learn the tracks just like a human does.

They are no match for a fast racer. But they can be a great way to practice some race craft skills such as overtaking, close racing and learning less then ideal lines while trying to pass on the outside or searching for a new line.
having slept over the idea for a while now ... i honestly do think that some kind of ai training interface to speed the learning process up a little bit or steer it in a certain direction to make the ai an individual would be amazing to have
I think the way the LFS AI learns and improves is amazing.

I'm wondering, how long does the AI learn more, there must be some lap limit where they just cant improve anymore?
Could this test for the fastest setup?
Yeah, you could work out what the fastest set for the AI is, with mucho patience. Unless you drive like the AI though (and I'd hope not ) then it's unlikely to be the best set for you.
My AI always seem to end up drifting
Quote from Gentlefoot :They are hard to overtake too cos they NEVER give any racing room. You have to pass them clean down into T1 under brakes else they just take you out lol. Good practice actually.

Thats why I never race against the AI after I had a mess around back in S1 days, they're all a bunch of dirty buggers. Theres a reason why LFS is called "Online Racing Simulator" . I'm still up for racing against AI but won't do till devs make a HUGE improvement in how they act.
I found a way to change their line on FE Green;

My AIs never stopped to get on the grass and spin out on curve (3 I think), so I first added bales. Then they started getting a little more on the road, but still going on the grass, so I added barriers. No they just get the right line and they don't need the barriers to stop them
when i a was a demo i just trained blgp they realised how to correct my crazy drift setup and somhow became pros +1

Training the AI
(78 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG