The online racing simulator
engine returning to idle
(11 posts, started )
engine returning to idle
Don't get up me as i no experience at all with racing or engines. I do however drive a car every day.
A very small improvement which probably take 15 mins is when you lift off the throttle with the clutch in the revs die until they hit idle and stay there. It's like they revs hit a wall and stop.
In my car, when i do they same, the revs seems to die below idle at first before bouncing up and stabilizing at idle speed.
Like I said a small thing I noticed today, but it spoils the sense of illusion i am driving a real car...
That completely depends on the computer setting, for example Accord tourer 2005, which I have some experience of, handles lowering revs so that when you release throttle it will apply some throttle to keep revs at a bit over 1k for a second or two before letting it drop to 750rpm.

I'd say LFS is perfectly ok in that aspect, the cars just have perfect computer setting.
It's just i didn't think the uf1000 had a computer in it's engine
I think it has, it's very similar to the new daihatsu trevis:

and that is a recent car, so obviously it has engine computers.
Sorry for OT, but: When Scavier should pay licenses for real cars - daihatsu should pay a license for using the UF bodywork, shouldn't they?
Quote from chrislow :It's just i didn't think the uf1000 had a computer in it's engine

Even in fiat uno from '97 is computer. It gets the data (to know how much fuel he should drink) from throttle position, throttle opening speed, lambda, intake air temp, water temp, engine revs...
If some sensors fail, computer gets the default data for certain situation from his 'data tables'.
I think cars got computers in engines with single point injection, but not sure.
I think it would be good to add characteristics like these to a few of the cars. If/when we get engine temperatures, I hope the idle behaviour of the cold engines is different from a fully warmed one (for example). Oh, I think the engines tick-over too perfectly also.
This does happen in some cars, but generally only older cars with rougher-running engines. The choke also affects it, be it manual or automatically adjusted. Just about every single car of this millenium has an engine control unit (ECU), which monitors the engine conditions pasibrzuch describes.

In LFS, the engine does dip below standard idle if it is damaged or worn out - rather like in real life, don't you think?

DE
#9 - Woz
Quote from pasibrzuch :Even in fiat uno from '97 is computer. It gets the data (to know how much fuel he should drink) from throttle position, throttle opening speed, lambda, intake air temp, water temp, engine revs...
If some sensors fail, computer gets the default data for certain situation from his 'data tables'.
I think cars got computers in engines with single point injection, but not sure.

I would just like to clear some things up on the Mini IRL, apart from the later ones before production stopped there was NO ECU, in fact there are no digital electronics in the car at all. You are connected to the raw machine when you drive it.

On idle the revs bounce and seek etc.

A real drivers machine that lets you feel when brake pads connect with the disks/drums. Where you feel the tension on the clutch change while you press the clutch pedal in etc.
computer or not though, my car irl has a (ECU) yet still doesn't control the engine idle as well as it does in the uf1000 in lfs.
Please don't see my post as a criticism, I firmly believe lfs is the best racing experience i have ever had, But we all allways want more, it is merely a suggestion to increase the realism and suspension of disbelief we are racing real cars.
I'd much rather have suspension of disbelief than suspension of belief.

I think that we might see something more like this when LFS gets better engine/drivetrain simulation. At the moment the engines are very simple, and the idle revs or pitlane limiter are just throttle overrides. In time we'll see this improve.

But as we are racing, I'm not fussed about idle behaviour...

engine returning to idle
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG