The online racing simulator
Player unfairly banned? No chance to explain himself?
Player jetstream01 appears to have been banned for making an AutoX layout while he was a demo user. (Post can be found here: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=21010) Is it possible that this user was actually using a 3rd party AutoX program such as LyTe and never actually hacked the game, or that he merely made the layout for other's enjoyment? While I'm not suggesting either scenario, I just think it's a little unfair that he was banned without even getting a chance to explain himself. Perhaps I'm wrong, in which case you may correct me. What's your take?
Well it was me who banned him, so I suppose it should be me who answers.

The way I look at it, if a user can come back to us and explain it was unfair (I mean, if you had been unfairly banned, you'd probably make a point about it) with a convincing reason, then we can easily revoke the ban. Additionally, we only ban by username, it's not difficult to create another demo account.

Quote from jetstream01 :I just started using the autocross editor and this is my first track. I think its fun. The fastest car i would recommend is the xrgt. May want to raise ride height and soften suspension.

However, IMO, the text in bold above makes it clear to me he had driven that layout. Hence the ban.
#3 - SamH
I fully concur with Bob on this. I'm sure there are a million what-ifs that you could propose but, being sensible and realistic, they're just what-ifs. Nothing more. Ya rly.
Quote :
Originally Posted by jetstream01
I just started using the autocross editor and this is my first track. I think its fun. The fastest car i would recommend is the xrgt. May want to raise ride height and soften suspension.

Must've missed that while I was scanning the post. Guess that clears things up, eh?
#5 - aoun
"The fastest car i would recommend is the xrgt. May want to raise ride height and soften suspension." could be from just pure judgement.. doesnt mean he actually drove it and played with the setups..

I think its fun., is where i reckon he blew it.. if he thinks its fun, that means hes been on the track..
Yeah, i agree to that
The moderators here are too nice! At another board I moderate, if someone questions me, I lock the thread and send them a PM telling them to sod off. Only not in such polite terms.

But seriously all of you, the moderators, do an exceptional job.
maybe when we ban people it should disable all fourm functions exept private messaging. it would give them a chance for appeal. we could give them 7 days to convince the mods to let them have full access the the fourm again. and if they don't respond or a mod denies their appeal then they will have no fourm access at all. I think this is a fair way for an appeal for the "questonable" crackers.
jayhawk - I was tempted to do that. I do feel that as a mod here, I am working for the community, so the community should agree with my actions. If somebody wants to question my or any other mods actions in a polite manner, then I don't see why I shouldn't answer.
On the whole I would prefer such communication by PM, it's usually not needed to let everyone read our explanations, but then generally people question actions that affect them, rather than other community members.

Zachary Zoomy - I'm not sure if that could work. As it is they can either register for another account (not ideal, as it's seen as circumventing the ban), providing they have another email address, or use the contact us form on the LFS website, but then that puts them in touch with the devs, which again, isn't ideal. So there are certainly benefits to be able to contact the mods. If a system allowed them to only PM a mod, ideally the one that banned them (so they don't get 6 potentially conflicting responses), it could be handy I suppose. Perhaps I should flag that up to Victor.

Anyway, storytime over, run along kids...
#10 - SamH
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :maybe when we ban people it should disable all fourm functions exept private messaging. it would give them a chance for appeal.

It would be nice in a sense if this were possible, but it's not as things stand right now.

Quite honestly, though, the moderators really DON'T ban unless they're convinced someone's up to no good. There have been occasions, but they're really rare, where things haven't been the way they've appeared. On those rare occasions, we've rescinded the bans as you'd expect we would. They ARE rare occasions, though. We don't just stumble about, acting on suspicion alone. If it's touch and go, we'll have discussed it among ourselves and decided on a course of action. All that good stuff.

[edit] Morning Bob! You're up late!
#11 - CSU1
Quote from jayhawk :The moderators here are too nice! At another board I moderate, if someone questions me, I lock the thread and send them a PM telling them to sod off. Only not in such polite terms.

But seriously all of you, the moderators, do an exceptional job.

Dont expect your community to grow at all so! If you dealt with me like that being all unquestionable and all I WOULD just sod off, and wouldnt look back either, as I'd imagine countless have already done.
#12 - SamH
Quote from CSU1 :Dont expect your community to grow at all so! If you dealt with me like that being all unquestionable and all I WOULD just sod off, and wouldnt look back either, as I'd imagine countless have already done.

"Do I stay or do I go?".. good song. It's Jayhawk's shout, though, at the end of the day. He's the mod because he thinks the way that the board owners think, they trust his judgement and made him a mod.. it comes full-circle. One thing's for sure, it'll be a clean and orderly forum!
Quote from CSU1 :Dont expect your community to grow at all so! If you dealt with me like that being all unquestionable and all I WOULD just sod off, and wouldnt look back either, as I'd imagine countless have already done.

Oh, the problem makers are .0001% of the total board population.

Like you!

...just taking the piss out...
#14 - CSU1
Quote from SamH :"Do I stay or do I go?".. good song. It's Jayhawk's shout, though, at the end of the day. He's the mod because he thinks the way that the board owners think, they trust his judgement and made him a mod.. it comes full-circle. One thing's for sure, it'll be a clean and orderly forum!

Yeah.whooopdydo.orderly
Quote from SamH :It would be nice in a sense if this were possible, but it's not as things stand right now.

Quite honestly, though, the moderators really DON'T ban unless they're convinced someone's up to no good. There have been occasions, but they're really rare, where things haven't been the way they've appeared. On those rare occasions, we've rescinded the bans as you'd expect we would. They ARE rare occasions, though. We don't just stumble about, acting on suspicion alone. If it's touch and go, we'll have discussed it among ourselves and decided on a course of action. All that good stuff.

[edit] Morning Bob! You're up late!

i see. it was just a thought.
#16 - SamH

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG