The online racing simulator
Setup menu enhancing
(95 posts, started )
I thought that the F1s had 3rd spring on the front... damn things have suspension parts everywhere

But would it add anything to LFS if the F1 car had that "3rd spring"? That's why I haven't put it in, at least yet
Quote from Jamexing :4 way dampers, asymetric spring setups, active electronic diffs and customizable brake ducts. A racer's/setup engineer's dream. And the F-1 car should use a third spring in the rear. It's standard practice in current F-1 cars.

I would recommend the addition of non-linear springs and helper springs too, which would both comply with current racing practice and allow LFS to simulate modern rallycars properly. The active diff would be a major boon especially for the 4WDs.

Another step towards realism.

I guess non-linear springs would require some extra work too to be implemented but the reason I didn't add those was the simple reason that I need to grab some books and look how they could be easily set up in LFS. But imho active diffs shouldn't be too hard to implement in F1. If they are all about having certain locking-% at per certain factors (throttle, speed and braking) then active diffs should be more simpler than, say, clutchpacks. If the active diffs are something like RBR's one in real life, that is...
Th 3rd spring I'm talking about for the rear suspension is the one that links left and right sides of the rear suspension. The rear suspension is basically a torsion bar system. Basically, the upper "wishbones" have protusions perpendicular to the compnent that provides a moment arm to which a coilover system cross links left and right suspension arms. The purposes include heave control and all the technical stuff that's better explained in lectures than forums.

Well, I thought everyone was familiar about curent F-1 suspension design practice. Guess not.
F1 uses a torsion spring and damper system at the rear, often with no antiroll bar. Some teams have experiemented with third springs at the rear, but I'm not sure if they use them.

In the mid 90's some teams had a third spring on the front, so that bump/rebound were controlled with two dampers (one on each side), whilst a third damper controlled roll.

Whether or not teams still use it is a different matter, and one I'd personally have to research before commenting on.
Where on earth do you guys get all this technical knowledge from. I suppose over time you just pick it up, but it just flows from your mouths (fingers).
Quote from tristancliffe :F1 uses a torsion spring and damper system at the rear, often with no antiroll bar. Some teams have experiemented with third springs at the rear, but I'm not sure if they use them.

In the mid 90's some teams had a third spring on the front, so that bump/rebound were controlled with two dampers (one on each side), whilst a third damper controlled roll.

Whether or not teams still use it is a different matter, and one I'd personally have to research before commenting on.

Ferrari definitely uses the 3rd spring/damper setup, and they happen to use rotary dampers too. Last time I checked, so did Sauber, which got the technology off Ferrari when it was using it's engines. The dampers provide the moment arms to mount the 3rd spring/damper. Anything that helps even out contact pressures of the rear contact patches helps put that immense power onto the ground.
An advanced and a basic menu configuration would be nice.

I would use the basic one of course... But I would try to impress my girlfriend with the advanced menu, in the hope of pointing out to her that LFS is infact a sim, and not just a game...

"look honey, a graph!"

PS,

"Weather:

Air: +15 degrees C"
Road: +18 degrees C"
Cloudy

Forecast:

No change."

LOL! Classic!
Another nice touch could be a button which gives a descriptive rundown of each car, revealing it's history, the why of it's design, its cababilities (strengths/weaknesses), quirks, setup advice (like in the last chapter of Bob's setup guide) recommended or fun track configs, trivia, and the like. Doesn't matter if the car's real or not, if it is- use real history/data. If not, I'm sure you guys could write up a good bit of fiction that brings out the personality of each car.

Something which is fun/educational for the noobs, and helps add a bit of extra depth/background to the cars. (?)
Quote from Electrik Kar :Another nice touch could be a button which gives a descriptive rundown of each car, revealing it's history, the why of it's design, its cababilities (strengths/weaknesses), quirks, setup advice (like in the last chapter of Bob's setup guide) recommended or fun track configs, trivia, and the like. Doesn't matter if the car's real or not, if it is- use real history/data. If not, I'm sure you guys could write up a good bit of fiction that brings out the personality of each car.

Something which is fun/educational for the noobs, and helps add a bit of extra depth/background to the cars. (?)

Sounds good, I see into it

(And at least I didn't put anything like tornadoes or acid rains on the wheather forecast )
The description thingy... One of the things I lvoed in Gran Turismo 1&2... Would love to the a fake history for XR GTs (and all the others)
One thing that I am not satisfied with is that side "Options" menu (Liveried, views, Colors, Event info). And that is because it has the viewing options, car skinning options and event info under one menu and they have nothing in common, except for the car color and skins. I need to remake it, but I'm kinda running out of ideas with them...

Anyone got any suggestions? Maybe place some buttons elsewhere or combine more items into one place...?
Update:

* Improved car info:
3 tabs; Specs, Info, Tips. (Written in fast engrish)
Added redline on the power&torque graph
(attachments 1,2,3)

* Improved "Options" -side menu:
Just two buttons; Views, Car:
Two "tabs" under the "car" menu; Colors, Skins.
Added On/Off buttons for the Setup filter and Event info.
Event info is now separated into its own menu on top of the screen.

* Slightly edited tyre setup sub menu.

In the fourth attachment I have just shown that suspension view works almost as it has been since it was introduced. Although the car models on the left need to be placed little higher on the screen because of the Options menu is taking more space.
Attached images
LFS_setup_menu_options1.jpg
LFS_setup_menu_options2.jpg
LFS_setup_menu_options3.jpg
LFS_setup_menu_options4.jpg
Sorry for digging up graves here, but this thread was just linked to =-p

Quote from jtr99 :While I'm at it, one feature I would love to see on the setup menu -- which would mean squeezing even more info on to the screen -- is to highlight the differences between two setups. I often want to look at where a recently donated or downloaded setup differs from my old one. Wouldn't it be convenient if there was a way to show both setups side-by-side, and even use colour-coding to indicate options on which they differed to a greater or lesser extent?

+1

Quote from thisnameistaken :*head explodes*

All I want is - when I select a setup - it says "This is the one you picked last time"

+1

Quote from Elektrik Kar :Another nice touch could be a button which gives a descriptive rundown of each car, revealing it's history, the why of it's design, its cababilities (strengths/weaknesses), quirks, setup advice (like in the last chapter of Bob's setup guide) recommended or fun track configs, trivia, and the like. Doesn't matter if the car's real or not, if it is- use real history/data. If not, I'm sure you guys could write up a good bit of fiction that brings out the personality of each car.

+1 - Next: track biographies on the track selection screen!

In the top left corner where it says "LX6" or what have you, I think it should say "LX6 @ BL1." Or am I the only one who forgets what track I have loaded/have been racing Or when I've just joined a server, I'll go to the garage and think "Bah wtf track is this again?"

Personally, the addition of more options is intimidating. Making a setup from scratch is difficult enough for me. I fully support the addition of more information though! Torque curves, spring frequencies, critical damping values, etc would all be extremely helpful I think.

Great work Hyper.
Quote from Dumpy :I fully support the addition of more information though! Torque curves, spring frequencies, critical damping values, etc would all be extremely helpful I think.

I know it's not in-game, and I try not to blow my own trumpet too much, but if you hadn't seen it already, look here.
A gear ratio overlay on power curves?
Care to post the other half of that sentence?
LOL
Quote :Anyone got any suggestions?

Hyperactive, do you think that an overlay of the gear ratios onto the power curves would be worth including?
This was very convienient in GranTurismo.. It made the gear ratios easier to accurately judge and modify.

The last time I asked this, if I remember correctly, someone said tractive effort curves were preferable.
Bob?
On power curves? Power doesn't change depending on what gear you are in.
Torque curves is another matter - do you mean something like this:
Attached images
this.PNG
+10000

both the menus and the options!
To be honest, I don't remember what it was.. It did look a bit like that, but I'm pretty sure the ratios were straight lines, with the power curve(s) also displayed, with ground speed and RPM on the X axis.

I only remember looking at engine output curves, and matching the gear ratios to them.
I was racing longer-legged cars in one of the racing Impreza cars, and had to make the ratios as efficient as possible. Using that overlay, I could get the ratios to start and top out at just the right spots on the curve, as well as at the right ground speeds.
I could adjust the ratios both for the corners and for the straights, all in one display.
I have both Gran turismo 1 and 2 here but my playstation is somewhere on the shelves and I don't bother to mess with it now. But imho GT1 had the "car speed versus engine rotation" (v/n, velocity of the car / rotation velocity of the engine) graph and it was very useful. When I was making this thread those few months ago I tried to google pics from GT1 setup menu to see what kind of graphs there were but didn' find any. But I'm pretty sure there was only one graph about this in GT1, the v/n graph
If somebody could find a screeny of that, or rougly sketch it by hand in paint or something (so long as everything is legible and labelled), I'd be interested in seeing it.

Would it be similiar to this?
+1000
I have no idea...

What Breizh wrote makes no sense to me really :s

"I could adjust the ratios both for the corners and for the straights, all in one display"

EDIT: http://www.mitsubishi-fuso.com ... ology/qanda/06_05.html?a6
Just a good read for anyone who wants to know what those graphs mean...

Setup menu enhancing
(95 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG