The online racing simulator
Question about 3g_cfg_xxxx
(16 posts, started )
Question about 3g_cfg_xxxx
Quote :3g_cfg_nort North
3g_cfg_sout South
3g_cfg_east East
3g_cfg_west West

Since the four of them start with 3g_cfg_ and they're in the same list as Grand Touring, Green, Gold and etc. I took it, they're only used for displaying track config names.

My question is, am I right, or are North East, South and West also used in other places?
I'm asking because in a track name they shouldn't be translated (for the Dutch) but if they're also used in other places (for wind direction, or something) it'll look silly if they're not translated...
In that last case - but I might be running ahead of myself here - might I suggest to define a different string name for either?

René
They are only used for configs. If we need those words for something else I'll add them separately.
Quote from Scawen :They are only used for configs. If we need those words for something else I'll add them separately.

Perfect, thanks
#4 - yaper
I'm in trouble during translation of V3 strings.

Where it will be used:
3g_cvw_vlag Smoothing %.1f sec :

3g_cvshelic heli
3g_cvsfollo follow
New default driver views?

3g_fixedfwd Fixed to forward axis : - Weird.
3d_admins_c Admin slots : - number of slots for admin logins to host?
Smoothing is just a small amount of smoothing on the follow view (so the camera isn't 100% fixed to the car, you can see the car bump a tiny bit before the camera follows). More smoothing time makes the camera more smooth.

heli and follow are names for existing views in LFS but now their name can be displayed in the view options screen. They are not allowed as default driver view.

Fixed to forward axis is strange yes, I did not know how to write it better. It fixes the follow view to look in the same direction as the car.

Admin slots : This is the number of slots to reserve for admins, so this number of admins can always join even if the host is full.
#6 - yaper
Thanks.

Are new view names going to be also embeded in "Settings for %s view :"?
Yes, just from memory I think that is the only place they are used.
Quote from Scawen :Fixed to forward axis is strange yes, I did not know how to write it better. It fixes the follow view to look in the same direction as the car.

What about 'Fixed to car axis'? For me the forward axis is the axis in which the car travels, so the the options should be inverted.
No, I would call that the direction of motion, not an axis.

To me, an axis is a fixed direction, X, Y or Z which never changes relative to the model. In fact the whole mesh is defined as coordinated relative to the three axes. But i didn't want to say "Align view with Y axis". So I called it the forward axis.
Hi Scawen

I've got a question about few strings:
3a_cqualify qualify
3a_crestart start race
3a_cendrace end race
3a_cntrpits enter pits
3a_cspectat spectate
3a_cantjoin join
3a_cantleav leave

Are the above strings used ONLY together with:
3a_no_x_plc Can't %s - a player is connecting
3a_no_x_cht Can't %s - changing track
3g_no_x_car Can't %s - car is on the track

Or maybe in other places, too?
Thought I'd use this thread to ask another question about the translation strings.

3a_vtfmt_s1 and 3a_vtfmtdmo are filled with %s's. How do I know which strings are used in that place? Looking at how the string is used in-game, it might be a better idea to leave the %s out and just translate the string in total as there's a difference in word sequence between English and Dutch and the translators can't change the order in which the variables are displayed in this string.
3a_vtfmt_s1 %s^8 voted to %s %s^8 (%s^8) [%d/%d]%s

Here is the explanation

%s - player name who is voting
%s - ban or disconnect
%s - player who is being voted against
%s - user name
%d - number of votes
%d - number of votes required
%s - press 1 or nothing

It's hard to know how this could be reduced, other than by making separate strings for kick and ban. All the other %s and %d can't really be changed.
Quote from Scawen :3a_vtfmt_s1 %s^8 voted to %s %s^8 (%s^8) [%d/%d]%s

Here is the explanation

%s - ban or disconnect
%s - user name
%d - number of votes
%s - press 1 or nothing

It's hard to know how this could be reduced, other than by making separate strings for kick and ban. All the other %s and %d can't really be changed.

The problem lies in the order of that list of variables. To be able to create a Dutch sentence that actually makes sense, the order would have to be:

%s - user name
%s - ban or disconnect
%d - number of votes
%s - press 1 or nothing

I've tried rebuilding the sentence to make it work with the current format, but in that case I don't have enough characters to finish the sentence
Scawen, could you help me according to the question I asked few posts before, please:

Quote from yaper :Hi Scawen

I've got a question about few strings:
3a_cqualify qualify
3a_crestart start race
3a_cendrace end race
3a_cntrpits enter pits
3a_cspectat spectate
3a_cantjoin join
3a_cantleav leave

Are the above strings used ONLY together with:
3a_no_x_plc Can't %s - a player is connecting
3a_no_x_cht Can't %s - changing track