The online racing simulator
which car for silver/gold server?
I've just got my silver license. Being a noob to this class, I would be interested to know why people have chosen the car they drive out of the three available.

Thanks.
As far as I know, with a silver license you only have XRT or RB4.
#3 - Dru
FXO is available only to Gold Racers

So the Choice is from RB4 (4WD) and XRT (RWD)

IF you like RWD you go the XRT route i would imagine, if you don't (like me) you'll probably go in the RB4 direction.
#4 - Bean0
XRT, most points

I couldn't drive it at all really when I first became Silver licensed, but you get used to it.

Edit: There's the 'Silver and Up' server as well, where you can use the LX4 and LRF class cars. Not sure which are limited to Gold there though.
If you like stability the RB4 is the way to go. You can get the RB to handle close to a RWD car but never exact. You will always have the issue of being slower down the straits though no matter what.
And for gods sake, don't try to use the WR setups with the RB4. Sure, they're fast when driven correctly, but for normal drivers this just translates to "understeering pig".
Love the RB4, I can drive the XRT but I just don't find it as satisfying as the RB4, shame the XRT and FXO crucify the RB4 on any track with more than a 100m straight though............
Quote from AndroidXP :And for gods sake, don't try to use the WR setups with the RB4. Sure, they're fast when driven correctly, but for normal drivers this just translates to "understeering pig".

Odd for me they usually oversteer and smoke the tires =)

I put the cambers down to 1.5 or so and decrease the ARB's so the car will actually finish a race without having the tires falling off.

Quote from danowat :Love the RB4, I can drive the XRT but I just don't find it as satisfying as the RB4, shame the XRT and FXO crucify the RB4 on any track with more than a 100m straight though............

Yeah I hate that. THe speed difference actually gets less the longer the strait, its just that on the long straits the difference is there for longer =(

At aston Cadet in STCC the RB's were a good 5MPH slower down the frontstrait. Where at Blackwood it was down to 2-3 MPH difference for the front runners just before hitting the brakes off teh backstrait
#9 - nihil
XRT

When I'm up to speed with the FXOs then it means more points...

Actually, I have no idea why thats important to me, but I do find the XRT more satisfying to drive. The FXO just seems to be: get the line right, point and fire. Its way quicker in the corners because of this, but I get a real sense of satisfaction from just getting the lap right, consistently, in the XRT. Position and points then comes as a bonus on top of that.

BTW: I'm silver licenced and can select the FXO in the garage. I can also join... Racing it doesn't interest me so I haven't tried yet, but at what point in the process are you supposed to be prevented from using it without a gold licence?
I hope soon the devs make the TBO class equal cars again, frustrating for both XRT's and RB's to try to keep up.
I'm with nihil. XRT is by far the most fun, you get most points and you look cool when you take some FXO scalps
#12 - Jakg
FXO, i need the practice for the STCC, as it is (imho) one of the best looking (and used to be) the best sounding car
FXO = desperation to win
#15 - Dru
Quote from AndroidXP :And for gods sake, don't try to use the WR setups with the RB4. Sure, they're fast when driven correctly, but for normal drivers this just translates to "understeering pig".

i did FE GREEN last night with a WR set and did what Viper suggested with respect to camber and arb's and found that the car was very forgiving
Granted, my experience came from a South City set, and it was horrible.
Quote from AndroidXP :Granted, my experience came from a South City set, and it was horrible.

The city sets for the RB4 on Inferno have massive understeer IIRC, while you get onto other sets there are massive oversteer issues. But at the end of the day it's all down to preference really and you as a driver feel comfortable and confident driving in, one driver that oversteers with one set can give it to another driver and that driver will have the car understeering worse than a snowplow in a foot of snow.
#18 - Dru
Quote from AndroidXP :Granted, my experience came from a South City set, and it was horrible.

lol - i also went on SC first and used a WR set with reduced ARB and camber setting's - it worked like a charm (ok i was 5sec off WR) but still only did a few laps and there was little if any understeer to be found.
XRT is the most fun to use. Thanks to these STCC servers I finally learned to race with the XRT. It made me realize how boring the FXO really is. Driving the FXO makes winning a race easier, but I get much more joy seeing the fast XRT's whoop up on the FXOs :-P
Ok, I'll try the XRT then. Would some kind soul post a stable XRT set?
Quote from Jakg :FXO, i need the practice for the STCC, as it is (imho) one of the best looking

It looks like a Vauxhall! Who gets excited looking at Vauxhalls? Nobody!

Quote from goode400 :Ok, I'll try the XRT then. Would some kind soul post a stable XRT set?

Attached a couple of different ones that I remember using recently. The one labeled "SO4R" has a clutch pack diff and it's quite twitchy but sublime once you get the hang of it, the "SO5R" one has a locked diff and it understeers like a swine but it's easier to be fast.
Attached files
XR GT TURBO_SO4R-Kev.set - 132 B - 131 views
XR GT TURBO_SO5R-Kev.set - 132 B - 173 views
#22 - Jakg
Quote from thisnameistaken :It looks like a Vauxhall! Who gets excited looking at Vauxhalls? Nobody!

actually the VX220 was good, the Vauxhall Lotus Carlton was exciting simply because it bore a devil under the bonnet, and the Omega is pretty nice to look at.

Oh, and the Monaro (now VXR?) is pretty nice, too

I love the nose of the FXO, it's so agressive, and that + the old agressive roar it used to have were a great mix for me
Quote from Jakg :actually the VX220 was good,

Looked a bit like a cut-price Lotus.

Quote from Jakg :... Vauxhall Lotus Carlton ... the Omega ... the Monaro (now VXR?)

All look like the same (boring Vauxhall) car.

Quote from Jakg : I love the nose of the FXO, it's so agressive, and that + the old agressive roar it used to have were a great mix for me

The engine used to sound nicer than most in LFS, I'll give you that. The front end doesn't look at all "aggressive" to me though - it's a bit bulbous with squinty headlights, looks like it's lost its glasses or something. I don't particularly like the look of the XRT either but at least it's fun to drive.
I can confirm that the FXO is selectable to silver drivers, this will last for another 2 minutes...

It was a config file error when I rewrote the server software.
I must admit, I changed from RB4 to FXO yesterday because half of the server was driving it and tbh, I dont regret it.

I just had several very good races and was even on the podium 3 times (yes, thats an achievement for me ) and why not use the (now again existing) advantage of the Gold licence if you have it?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG