Chassis Damage
(22 posts, started )
Chassis Damage
Does the chassis prevent your wheels from being 'cambered' ? because even if i just touch a wall, my car seems to handle much different, does this mean that the wheels cannot be protected by the chassis?
you are protected by the Body/chassis of your car, till the treshold of cold deformation is reached INTO your wheels thus deforming their mounts...
simple is it?

regards
Are you just joking? Because lfs int that realistic yet.

Plus, Im not talking about HUGE bangs, just dents that expose the tires
take into account that certain surfaces react differently from other solid surfaces around the track, especially the barriers...

and since the collision-management (silly word i know, but i didn't came up with a better one) isn't perfect yet...

so NO i wasn't joking, and for the fun-time try to bump your car sideways (easy) into a wall and look what damage is done to your body...

regards
Heres a tip: stay off walls..

lol jking.

I noticed that too.

Hmm...Maybe in the next Patch they will fix damage issues...

Or maybe make it so your fenders and hoods can fly off if you are hit hard enough.

Most Sims have that feature as a basic.
It would mainly be aesthetic (sp?) to have bumpers and the like fall off, but it would be fun dodging the debris if you get a T1 pileup in front of you.
Quote from Crashgate3 :It would mainly be aesthetic (sp?) to have bumpers and the like fall off, but it would be fun dodging the debris if you get a T1 pileup in front of you.

Yes it would and its that kind of realisim i want from LFS.

Also them adding racing trucks and regular trucks would be sweet.
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :Are you just joking? Because lfs int that realistic yet.

Think for a second.

If the "dent" is enough to expose the tire , then clearly your suspension has been subjected a pretty reasonable transient load, and you probably bent something. Observe the F10 readout and note whether any arms are bent even slightly or not.
I quite like how even the slightest knock can totally screw up your car if your unlucky. It depends how you hit the wall and what camber your using at the time, you can brush the wall in the TBO class without picking up damage sometimes.

I would like bumpers to come off and wheels to come off, but most of all I want Radiator damage, might stop people rear ending me all the time
#10 - JTbo
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I quite like how even the slightest knock can totally screw up your car if your unlucky. It depends how you hit the wall and what camber your using at the time, you can brush the wall in the TBO class without picking up damage sometimes.

I would like bumpers to come off and wheels to come off, but most of all I want Radiator damage, might stop people rear ending me all the time

I find that road cars can take serious beating without any wheel damage at all, I can hit so hard to walls sliding sideways that it should totally wreck suspension, wheels and render door unusable, but all I get is thump and slight dents here and there.
And then there is the other thing. If you know that you are going to crash into the wall, you can just turn into the wall aiming for a direct head-on with the wall. Usually it is just cosmetic damage even if you were doing +100kph. Useful if you miss the braking point. Completely

Sometimes even small taps on the walls in south city and fern bay can send you to moon. A bit like some places at Kyoto but those places are quite far away from the racing line. Still annoying but crashing usually is.

It would be quite satisfying to see the smoke and steam rising from the engine whereabouts
Hmm, well, It is true how even the slightest touch to the wall can ruin your racing, it's funny how i usually pit as soon as my car touches the wall
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :Are you just joking? Because lfs int that realistic yet.

If you're hitting the wheels (which probably happens when you "expose the tires"), the force of the impact is felt by everything connected to them- that includes suspension. Pay more attention to what you're doing in LFS and you'll see that although it's not 100% accurate, it's pretty close. One thing that you might not be thinking about is speed- you can't really tell how fast you're going unless you look at the spedometer. You might think you're going slow, but you might actually be going 100kmh(not really THAT fast but it's fast enough to do some serious damage)
Quote from luftrofl :If you're hitting the wheels (which probably happens when you "expose the tires"), the force of the impact is felt by everything connected to them- that includes suspension. Pay more attention to what you're doing in LFS and you'll see that although it's not 100% accurate, it's pretty close. One thing that you might not be thinking about is speed- you can't really tell how fast you're going unless you look at the spedometer. You might think you're going slow, but you might actually be going 100kmh(not really THAT fast but it's fast enough to do some serious damage)

That is a good point

The speed ratio in this game is a bit slow, but realistic, and that is how I like it (if you pay attention, the slowness actually adds to the difficulty, try using speedgear on single player mode [it lags in multiplayer, then kicks])

When You speedgear it, it feels much easier, somehow

Yeah, but it is a bit delicate, i mean, touching the wall shouldnt create a 3 inch gash in your beautiful XRT (well, for me, anyways)
#15 - S0ul
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :That is a good point

The speed ratio in this game is a bit slow, but realistic, and that is how I like it (if you pay attention, the slowness actually adds to the difficulty, try using speedgear on single player mode [it lags in multiplayer, then kicks])

When You speedgear it, it feels much easier, somehow

Yeah, but it is a bit delicate, i mean, touching the wall shouldnt create a 3 inch gash in your beautiful XRT (well, for me, anyways)

May i ask what Speedgear is?
Ok since some of you do not seem to understand geometry let me paint a picture for you in terms you may understand.

When you add negitive camber to you wheels to aid in cornering grip what part of your wheel is closest to the wall when you are near one. The lower part. So if you hit the wall sideways the lower part of the wheel take the hit transfering the energy in to the lower suspension arm and damaging it. This is represented as the arm becoming shorter when reduces the negetive camber on the wheel.

Now if you have the wheel turned in to out when this contact occures then you also risk damage to the steering arm and thus can affect the two angle of that wheel. Most of the cars in LFS with zero camber have a small margine of crush space before the wheel and suspension is affected. This goes away very quickly as you add negitive camber or steering input.

Welcome to a usefull application to the physics and geometry you are learning in school.
Quote from S0ul :May i ask what Speedgear is?

It's a program that supposedly speeds up your other programs. And I found out that it speeds up games =) Seen as a speedhack though

Quote from Gimpster :Ok since some of you do not seem to understand geometry let me paint a picture for you in terms you may understand.

When you add negitive camber to you wheels to aid in cornering grip what part of your wheel is closest to the wall when you are near one. The lower part. So if you hit the wall sideways the lower part of the wheel take the hit transfering the energy in to the lower suspension arm and damaging it. This is represented as the arm becoming shorter when reduces the negetive camber on the wheel.

Now if you have the wheel turned in to out when this contact occures then you also risk damage to the steering arm and thus can affect the two angle of that wheel. Most of the cars in LFS with zero camber have a small margine of crush space before the wheel and suspension is affected. This goes away very quickly as you add negitive camber or steering input.

Welcome to a usefull application to the physics and geometry you are learning in school.

True, however my back wheels are negative, and my front ones are positive (or from my memory it is). Thanks anyways You explained it well
Cr!t!calDrift - make sure you are not confusing the camber adjust value in the setup, with the live camber value seen when racing around on the track (press Shift-L).
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :That is a good point

What do you mean by "speed ratio"?
#20 - S0ul
i guess he means his feeling of the speed. LFS may feel slow when using wrong FOV or having played arcade games before
Quote from Gimpster :Now if you have the wheel turned in to out when this contact occures then you also risk damage to the steering arm and thus can affect the two angle of that wheel.

I've noticed you tend to do much more damage to your suspension and steering if you have the wheels turned if (when? :rolleyes: ) you hit. Yiu can minimise the damage by centring the wheel just before impact.
Makes sense, straightening pulls them back inside the bodywork, so the bodywork will 'absorb' a greater percentage of the force, resulting in less suspension damage.

Chassis Damage
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG