The online racing simulator
Avg. size house price in your country?
(26 posts, started )
#1 - CSU1
some thing that's been on my mind and its hard to get exact figures from *Google*.

*I would ask before you post to exclude high end property areas from this thread as every city has their 'posh' areas and slums for that matter.
This should be based on the average 'Joe soap'(Irish lingo )working class dwelling.

At the moment and for at least the past fifteen years the property market in my home(Ireland) has been in termoil, with our government collecting stamp duties above 300% the projected stamp dutie targets yearly. Obviously the reasons for such high stamp duties are diverse with areas of our econamy that are irrelevant to this topic.

In Dublin, a standard three bedroom terrice house ranges from:
(these priced also apply to most major cities in ireland whilst being closer to the low end price range)

€300,000 - €1,000,000

With banks offering 40 year mortgages(goodbye pension).
I think in Southern Ontario, Canada, the average household now is in the realm of $225 000 - $350 000 CAD. (£98,515.12 - £131,353.49 GBP)

Prices vary greatly in all areas of the country, though. Out in Western Canada (British Columbia and Alberta) the average household is considerably more expensive, but the average job also pays more out there.
Well, here in Hungary they are around 100k € - 200k € (3-4 rooms, 100-200 m2). Still a lot compared to the salary, which is around 300-500 € in average ..

edit: although the mentioned size is actually counts as a big house here.
Here in Guernsey house prices are on average £330,000 IIRC. And no I'm not rich, trust me.
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1
#5 - CSU1
Quote from DaveWS :Here in Guernsey house prices are on average £330,000 IIRC. And no I'm not rich, trust me.

A piece of paradise you have ther Dave though, lotsa fishin'

+++ */me packs bags and moves to Hungary
In the US it varies dramatically. If you looked at the average for say a zipcode, it probably varies by 10 to 1. If you look by county, maybe 5 to 1. And by state, maybe 2 to one.

The other problem is "average size." I grew up in the old northeast where 1800-2200sq-ft houses are probably average. In some newly developed areas, the smallest homes they build are bigger than 3,000sqft. This is America after all, bigger, fatter, slower.

Ignoring all that, I could buy a house that I'd be happy with in a town I'd be happy with for somewhere between 150-250k USD.
In the metro area of Perth Western Australia the average house is a 3x2 or small 4x2 aprrox 150 - 180msquare and price is around A$400k( US$320k or EUR 240k). Some of the outer areas will get down to the low A$300k range. House prices have been going crazy in the last 3 years here, rising on an average of 30% plus per year. In some cases much more Perth used to be one of the cheapest cities to buy a house
In my old city, houses cost like 500,000 Pesos (like 50,000 USD).
Here at Guadalajara, houses cost like 700,000 Pesos (70,000 USD)
My house, ~1000 square foot, 3 bedroom, 1 bath, a bit small but typical out in the country for a 30-40 year old home in northwestern Pennsylvania, US. What did I pay? $88,000. I see the home improvement shows on TV which are typically set in California and see houses that they fix up around the same size as mine so they can hope to sell them for $1,000,000.

All depends on where you are over here. Too big of an area and too many people with their noses up their bosses behind. I read somewhere that a family of 4 income at $43,000 per year is poverty level in Pennsylvania. I also recently read that the average one person income in Pennsylvania is $34,000 per year. No wonder kids are shooting up the schools because they have no parents. They both have to work to be able to pay the bills. Yup, I'm in poverty level with 2 kids and a stay at home wife to take proper care of our kids. If things get any worse with fuel and utility prices, then I'll be selling my tiny little $88k house and living in the back of the wife's small SUV.

I have to wonder how the heck they do it over there in California. My company I work for had a plant there. While the cost of living is about 100 times more than PA, those poor soles still made the same as we do in PA, about $15 an hour. I can barely afford my morgage on my $88k house, how do they afford $500k for a run down house over there...
You wont get much change out of £150k for a 3 bedroomed house around my neck of the woods.
Same here, about £150,000 for a half decent semi, criminal if you ask me.
Yeah, no chance to get on the property ladder in its current state, I will keep renting until the house prices crash
€350000 for a 150m2 house, size is without the garage and the extended kitchen. 6 meters wide, 8.5 meters long, 9 meters high.
Quote from mrodgers :My house, ~1000 square foot, 3 bedroom, 1 bath, a bit small but typical out in the country for a 30-40 year old home in northwestern Pennsylvania, US. What did I pay? $88,000. I see the home improvement shows on TV which are typically set in California and see houses that they fix up around the same size as mine so they can hope to sell them for $1,000,000.

All depends on where you are over here. Too big of an area and too many people with their noses up their bosses behind. I read somewhere that a family of 4 income at $43,000 per year is poverty level in Pennsylvania. I also recently read that the average one person income in Pennsylvania is $34,000 per year. No wonder kids are shooting up the schools because they have no parents. They both have to work to be able to pay the bills. Yup, I'm in poverty level with 2 kids and a stay at home wife to take proper care of our kids. If things get any worse with fuel and utility prices, then I'll be selling my tiny little $88k house and living in the back of the wife's small SUV.

I have to wonder how the heck they do it over there in California. My company I work for had a plant there. While the cost of living is about 100 times more than PA, those poor soles still made the same as we do in PA, about $15 an hour. I can barely afford my morgage on my $88k house, how do they afford $500k for a run down house over there...

I don't know how they do it in California either. My house was built in 1947 I bought it for 20K in '92.
LOL I like how the tax assesor has "appraised" it at over 70K. Yeah, right
If I could sell it for that much, I'd have a sign in the yard right now. Those morons just appraised it that high to get more property taxes :arge:
The house I've bought and am renovating now is a two bedroom 1973 bungalow, and it was valued at £140k prior to improvements, and would EASILY sell at £165k after I've modernised it a bit.

Very hard to find a house for less than £120k here, although you might find an apartment or a small flat for a bit less, but still not below £100k unless you live in a really really grotty part of the city.
erm, the houses next door have gone up for sale at about £225,000 we got a valuation and it was about £550,000
The 3 bedroom nextdoor to me just went for 325,000 pounds. My Wife and I will be lucky to find a 2 bedroom house for less than 180,000....
i'd think about 100k-200k here in America. If it was by town, the average would be like 650k here.
Quote from Racer Y :Those morons just appraised it that high to get more property taxes :arge:

If that were true, you would be the moron for not getting it reassessed

Oh wait...

Seriously though, my dad fought two asessments in the last 5 years and got big adjustments on each. More than 100k on one. I guess its probably easier to bitch about it on the interweb than to actually fix it. Property taxes can't be very high where you live in any case.
Bought a place in Leeds for £77K in 2001, sold it just now for £155K. I think that's now about average for the area. That's about $300K US, 227K in euros, or $380K Australian.

Bad news is, the new place we're buying down south is £265K. No new steering wheels for me for some time.
My familys old house (3 bed semi, typical size, in a nice part of the city) sold for £165K last year. Seems to be about average for the size property here.
Dont even DREAM of trying to buy a house in Oxford...prices for a 3-bed semi _START_ at £300k for anything half decent
Yeah skigirl, I'm a freaking moron... I had to fight the county appraisal district twice already.
Oh well, at least I ain't gotta worry about any of that tax revenue being used to subsidize cock fighters, huh?
#24 - CSU1
Quote from Racer Y :
Oh well, at least I ain't gotta worry about any of that tax revenue being used to subsidize cock fighters, huh?

The family's house here is worth about £175k or so, and its in the middle of a small terrace - which is probably the lowest price in the area. They go upwards to prices of a few million (bloodly Royal Crescent and the Circus does that)

All in all Bath, and the surrounding areas, are not cheap to live in.

Trust me, I'm trying to find a flat, or house, atm for a reasonable price, in a decent area, and failing (I am making it harder for myself by mandating that I'll be living alone near-ish to Bath (incase my now ex-gf changes her mind... meh ) :shrug.

(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG