The online racing simulator
Intel have spoken
(274 posts, started )
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :LOL

Who in their right mind thinks S3 will be released this year?

we did back during S1...

hence what i'm saying, 3 years ago we though S3 would be out now... and S2 isn't even out.. S3 probably wont be out until after what i've said....
probably around 2011 at this rate

@madman, you see what i see then, the devs really need a 4th man in there just to overall help the devs around stuff
Quote from Boris Lozac :XCnuse, sorry, but you are talking bulls**t...
It doesn't look crap, it looks bloody REAL, yes, that's right, it looks REAL, not like a computer game, but like a simulator should look.
Cars look like they are really there on the track, not that i am Alice in Direct X wondwerland, but like i am really there, racing.

I know what i am saying here, i am graphic designer, and bit of a artistic soul, and i can tell you that LFS looks great. Photo realistic.
If blurred enviroment and over saturated textures are real to you, than i rest my case..

LFS doesn't look like crap but for you to say it looks real and photo realistic is absurd.
Quote from XCNuse :we did back during S1...

Indeed; I've been playing LFS since pre-S1 (albeit mostly offline until awhile after S1 was released) as well and that is correct - but the context of your statement was current, not past. edit: no it wasn't see below

Nobody that's kept on top of LFS would think S3 would've been out this year, and as I said before S2 is already going to contain far more than we thought it would in the S1 days.
yes, and you're also supposed to write in the current are you not?
Quote from Pain-less :LFS doesn't look like crap but for you to say it looks real and photo realistic is absurd.

Ok, i said it wrong. I meant it looks like cars are really there, kinda real, not artifical like other games. I am not saying that car models are photo realistic, but the whole enviroment, the materials of the cars, that is real, although they are made of very small amount of poligons and details, it still looks real when the car is moving in LFS...
Quote from XCNuse :yes, and you're also supposed to write in the current are you not?

Heh, sorry I misread your original post. You said "expected S3 to be out", and I thought it said "expect S3 to be out". Oops.

One can write in any chosen tense, so long as it's identifiable
Quote from Boris Lozac :Ok, i said it wrong. I meant it looks like cars are really there, kinda real, not artifical like other games. I am not saying that car models are photo realistic, but the whole enviroment, the materials of the cars, that is real, although they are made of very small amount of poligons and details, it still looks real when the car is moving in LFS...

i'm guessing you are comparing the way LFS's cars interact with the ground as compared to games such as rFactor where the cars just kinda.. fly around and look funny when they drive around
this reminds me of guys who dont want their wives to dress sexy once they get married. some of you sound like you're afraid LFS with better graphics would attract too many newbies. lfs looks okay with the AA and AF on, but it could be alot better.

there's also a similar vibe here to that of when fans of a small band are annoyed by all the new fans that come in when their band makes it big.
Quote from XCNuse :LFS has crap models, the cars in LFS have 1/4th the amount of polys cars do in today's gaming generation

Thankfully.

You only have to look at Racer's mesh fetishism to see why that's an advantage.
Quote from XCNuse :i'm guessing you are comparing the way LFS's cars interact with the ground as compared to games such as rFactor where the cars just kinda.. fly around and look funny when they drive around

Exactly...
lol racer is its own problem within itself, racer is the epitomy of modifiable games (and how unsuccessful they will always be)
As a very recently S2 licensed racer, I have this to say. Who the hell cares what the EXTERIOR of your car looks like? LFS is called a 'simulator' for a reason. It's not a GAME... never was, never will be. If anyone here who is doubting the physics of LFS had any actual seat time in a REAL WORLD race car (and yes, I do.... about 10 years worth), you would be quick to realize that the devs of LFS have done a terrific job SIMULATING the feel of auto racing. Last time I raced in the real world, I don't recall seeing the EXTERIOR of my car, and not much of the interior either, for that matter !! Except the quick glance at the gauges now and then. I gladly paid my money for this sim because of how it FELT, not so much how it looked.

My personal opinion, the graphics can stay just the way they are..... merely tighten up some of the suspension and drivetrain modelling.

Online code is already WAY beyond most other so-called sims, and like many others have already said, there is NOTHING else out there that can give you this 'feel', and still run on a P2-233 !! If there is, I apologize, but please do tell me what it is.

I'm not giving up on LFS, and I'm not in a hurry to get a release that merely makes things look 'better'....

Just my 2 cents...
#88 - Woz
I don't understand all the reaction to this. If you look with the view of a large company you start to understand.
  • The LFS devs, as they have stated, DID NOT AGREE to the full demands of Intel. It appears from reading between lines in posts from Scawen and also other things on the web that Intel wanted a PRIVATE version of LFS and probably the tracks etc. The deal could not be met so Intel then courted rFactor.
  • Intel has a commitment to the share holders to sell more stuff to make more proffit. Hence their press release saying that rFactor is the best and most realistic out there. Even though the actual Sim community knows otherwise.
People say that you need modding, that rFactor looks loads better blah blah blah BUT the absolute reality of the situation is that online rFactor IS NOT popular and does not pull in players.

All of you should go and look at rFactor RaceCast. At time of post (10.30pm Friday night in London timezone) there are a total of 80 people playing rFactor while there are currently while LFS has a total of 852 with nearly 500 in full version.

The modding and so called better GFX appear to do nothing to boost the number of people playing rFactor and you have to ask how they will actually help LFS?
some people dont even give lfs a try because of the way it looks and because of most of the cars and tracks not being "real".
Gab, it's not the vibe you desribe - more like the fans of an obscure cult band fending off the pop culture moron (Tristan hasn't said the word moron yet, so I'll have to step up) mainstream zombie no-talent 3 chord band lovers trying to infiltrate a diamond in the rough, and turn it into a bling bling whore.

... waits for Tristan to post ...
Quote from Gabkicks :some people dont even give lfs a try because of the way it looks and because of most of the cars and tracks not being "real".

Who cares about those people?

Edit: My point is, that LFS is NOT designed to cater to those people. Why can't anyone understand this?

Real cars and tracks have nothing to do with racing, and physics, and competition - which is what LFS is about.
If the car was on the ground it'd be better.
thats.. PGR3
#95 - col
Quote from Gabkicks :this reminds me of guys who dont want their wives to dress sexy once they get married. some of you sound like you're afraid LFS with better graphics would attract too many newbies. lfs looks okay with the AA and AF on, but it could be alot better.

there's also a similar vibe here to that of when fans of a small band are annoyed by all the new fans that come in when their band makes it big.

---------~~◄Ξ►3 >º ><

Hmm, I can't speak for anyone else, but as I have explained I do think that LFS has got very good graphics.... understated, subtle, low/medium poly, very high quality.

expanding your analogy:

One guy might want his wife to dress up in stockings and suspenders with fishnets and heavy makeup - like a cheap whore.
... while another may like his wife to dress in stylish sophisticated clothes (and under garments that suit her and make her feel good.

(btw, like Boris, I also trained as an artist)
#96 - Woz
Quote from Gabkicks :some people dont even give lfs a try because of the way it looks and because of most of the cars and tracks not being "real".

The online stats don't back this up though. LFS is orders of magnitude more popular than rFactor and rF has the fancy graphics and the real cars so the people we lose because of the GFX and lack of cars are probably not the people we want in the community anyway.

Being in the USA you have the same problem as me in NZ. Lack of user base. This is more the car types than anything else.

If the devs added a Nascar and a short oval to go with KY1 it would probably pull in many NR2003 players and an Aussie V8 and a Bathurst like track would have the same impact down here. Finally a 60's F1 would up the numbers as GPL is still huge but I am sure that use base would love a the major physics update that LFS would represent.

When you dig around and look you realise just how little rFactor's mods have helped it. They might have bigger sales figures, I have no idea on this, but for active user base no.
@ XCNuse
im waiting for Forza Motorsport 2 to come out over here, atm i play project gotham racing 3 on my xbox 360 and it is great to see all them photo realistic graphics and all the movement in the crowd whizzing past, but when you get on line all them graphics just doesn't make it a great game anymore, its just full of loudmouth tossers.
but i no what you mean it would be good to have photo realistic graphics in LFS with the same on line play.
lol it doesn't surprise me there aren't so many nice people on that game [pgr3], but from when i played it.. its.. just a new experience, i liked it .. alooot
the interiors in that game are fantastic

my sisters' boyfriend has an Xbox360 and my sister prepaid Forza2 for him, i can't wait to go over and play that, his cousin got a Wii, i still want to go over there and play that, Wii's are ingenious
Quote from Woz :Finally a 60's F1 would up the numbers as GPL is still huge but I am sure that use base would love a the major physics update that LFS would represent.

We have our own mods, thank you And damn fine they are too.
The only thing i want to point out to XCnuse is that the devs want to make the best racing game in the world and they have set a goal so that lfs can be played on the weakest of pc's so that every person can play a racing game that feels as close to real life as they can and that has cost a bit on the gfx sides but every part of the game will get update as time goes bye.

If all you want is eye candy there is a game that suits everyones type of style, so if you want to play a game online with so much good racing as possible and that looks good to watch in every type of camera angle then lfs is the game for you

Intel have spoken
(274 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG