The online racing simulator
Intel have spoken
(274 posts, started )
#26 - Vain
The problem is that "will be" doesn't float everyone's boat.

I'm sure the differentials will be fixed some day. But the hope that some day LFS will be good doesn't help anything about it's current state. It's just very frustrating, I'll quit the ranting.

Vain
Quote from Hyperactive :EDIT: and I still think the latest sound patch was complete crap. I have no idea how it got out but if people really liked it I guess you could say it proves a point. I say it was an easy way out to get "better" sounds, you can say it was a great improvement, as much as you could do while keeping it compatible.

Easy to solve that. Make the DaveWS soundpack default in the next update.
#28 - col
Wow, so much negativity in this thread !

Don't know a good thing when you see it?
Glass always half empty?

LFS is the best but it sucks because the dev process is too slow ???

LFS is the best because of the dev process !
If a more traditional dev process was used, LFS would be finished and finished with by now - yet another second rate play for a few weeks then bin it video game.

My guess is that rFactor was chosen by Intel because the rFactor producers are more flexible and willing to compromise in order to help out Intel... Scavier would not be willing to allow Intel to have any influence over their plans for the future development of LFS, so the likes of Intel will steer clear if they have an alternative. It's nothing to do with fantasy tracks or content, rather it is to do with politics (with a small 'p') and philosophy.

Another way to put this is:

Scavier are not willing to kiss corporate ass... I guess rFactor don't mind the taste as much
#29 - axus
You hit the nail on the head there, col.
This is the reason I prefer AMD. I don't trust idiots that think rFactor is the ultimate PC sim to build a processor.
Thats old news...

rfactor -> pitline park
LFS -> intel racing tour (where you can win a BMW M6)
My ..aren't we a jealous bunch.
Jealous of something less good, yep..
Is this related to that story about Sebastian Vettel participating in some sort of sim race in the lead-up to the Australian Grand Prix this weekend? I know there were some rumours that LFS was going to be used; has that changed?
on rscnet, they are saying that rfactor was used.
It wouldn't surprise me. I imagine Intel would want to use the Australian GP track for the promo, which would rule out LFS unless Eric et al have been burning the midnight oil.
Quote from Madman_CZ :

btw any one looking forward to S.T.A.L.K.E.R Chadow of Chernobyl?

mad

Shadow of Chernobyl
I'm looking forward to it. The multiplayer isn't that great (although Atrifact Hunt mode isn't too bad) but the environments are amazing. I'm hoping the single player will do it justice.
I'm getting a free copy because I won a competition. Was also supposed to get in on a closed beta LAN party months ago, but apparently they had big crashing problems trying to install it at the event

Currently most looking forward to Spore (and playing with my Wii when it arrives!)
Quote from Bean0 :They just want to sell more C2Ds.

"Live For Speed will run well on any machine made in the past 2 years" doesn't have the same advertising value

LFS will run on a P2 233, come on now.

I get 100 FPS (1920 x 1200, all visual settings max) on my two year old laptop.
#40 - Jakg
i'll show them, i want a Core 2 Duo just for LFS

(Unfortunately, i want to buy the VERY cheapest one and overclock the **** out of it!)
Quote from col :Wow, so much negativity in this thread !

Don't know a good thing when you see it?
Glass always half empty?

LFS is the best but it sucks because the dev process is too slow ???

LFS is the best because of the dev process !
If a more traditional dev process was used, LFS would be finished and finished with by now - yet another second rate play for a few weeks then bin it video game.

My guess is that rFactor was chosen by Intel because the rFactor producers are more flexible and willing to compromise in order to help out Intel... Scavier would not be willing to allow Intel to have any influence over their plans for the future development of LFS, so the likes of Intel will steer clear if they have an alternative. It's nothing to do with fantasy tracks or content, rather it is to do with politics (with a small 'p') and philosophy.

Another way to put this is:

Scavier are not willing to kiss corporate ass... I guess rFactor don't mind the taste as much

Where did anyone say LFS sucks?, you should stop putting words into peoples mouths mate.

Life is about progression, LFS isn't (IMO) progressing that much, ok, so it is progressing (albeit slowly), but at it's core the sim isn't THAT much different from 2 years ago, if we as a human race weren't worried about progression, we'd all still be sitting in caves and clubbing women, but we are all about progression.

Bottomline, if you aren't riding the wave of change, you'll be under it, LFS needs a fire lite under it's arse IMO
#42 - Vain
Quote from danowat :Where did anyone say LFS sucks?

I did.
And I mean it. Objectively LFS sucks. But it's the best we have.

Angryminer
Ahh......my bad then, I don't think LFS "sucks" per say, it is still the best sim there is, and this I think leads to complacency in it's development.
Quote from Vain :I did.
And I mean it. Objectively LFS sucks. But it's the best we have.

Angryminer

That's rather Winston-Churchillish:

"LFS is the worst racing sim except for all those others that have been tried."

Since we are already off topic I might as well ask this: What do people expect from the next incompatible (LFS people just loves that word :schwitz patch? Better interiors? Diffs updated/fixed? Engine damage? Online improvements? Sounds improvements? More content? Bigger windows banners? Rewindable replays? ...

Well, I want realistic starts, diffs fixed, sounds updated, sounds updated, sounds updated, sounds updated, the collision model improved, Kyoto tire clippings fixed and damage from flatshifting.

Don't expect anything, and you won't be disappointed.
Quote from danowat :if we as a human race weren't worried about progression, we'd all still be sitting in caves and clubbing women, but we are all about progression.

and today were sitting in clubs craving women
seriously fire up 0.3 or an even earlier version or even just 0.5p and drive around enough for the tyre model to break down on you and ten come back here to claim this sim doesnt progress

Quote from Hyperactive :Since we are already off topic I might as well ask this: What do people expect from the next incompatible (LFS people just loves that word :schwitz patch? Better interiors? Diffs updated/fixed? Engine damage? Online improvements? Sounds improvements? More content? Bigger windows banners? Rewindable replays? ...

top priorities for me would be
collision detection
preload for clutch packs
much better aero
more detailed tyres (different peak slip angles for different tyres ... stuff like that ... sort of 10 minutes toying around with parameters to get the tyre to behave mor like a stiffer/softer one type of fixes)
better longitudinal tyre behaviour

karts and chassis flex
The F1 car is the with just the rims and the wheels different, they cant even think up their own ideas

LFS 4 EVA
Quote from ORION :Thats old news...

rfactor -> pitline park
LFS -> intel racing tour (where you can win a BMW M6)

Thanks, I just wanted to point out the same. As far as I know LFS and rFactor did both start to work with Intel at about the same time. So it's not LFS first and rFactor second but both first.

If you click on "Germany" on that page, you will see some nice Live for Speed screenshots.
What is this, rant festival??
You guys should drink some Cola..

LFS sucks??
Development is slow, ha? You want a complete game? So you would be satisfied if LFS went final in august 2005?

I agree that progress in the graphic department is kinda slow, but than again if you got a new fancy interiors and high res cars, and everything, you would be crying how you have low FPS on your stone age computer that 50% of the users here seems to have..
I see by the number of people online every day, since 2005, how LFS sucks..

Intel have spoken
(274 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG