The online racing simulator
"recommended" tyre pressures?
(12 posts, started )
Are there any recommended tyre pressures for each of the differing compounds avaliable in LFS?

Is it "better" to run a softer tyre at high pressure, than a harder tyre at low pressure in LFS?, for a medium length (20-30mins) race?
imo a harder tyre with lower pressure lasts longer.
surely a thing of the driving style too, if ur a guy who does like to brake very late but takes the turns "mid" speeds then softer with more pressure would be better or reversed.
a soft tyre with high pressure is the fastest combo in the game for a number of the cars. LFS unreasonably increases acceleration for high pressure tyres.

High pressure tyres are a little trickier to drive on in general though, and some combos benefit more from the added grip of lower pressure than they do from the speed of high pressure.
Until you start wearing tyres out, it's always best to run as soft a compound as you can while keeping within a reasonable temperature range. (and not requiring substantially less camber / slower times to do so)
I have been doing a few trials, and the car does feel better on high pressure, softer tyres, than it does on low pressure, harder ones, but it seems to go against the grain of what everyone else seems to do.

I would be interested if anyone had done any serious testing comparing high pressure/soft against low pressure/hard and also if anyone has any heat cycle info for the compounds and recommended pressures (like manufacturers do)
Quote from Blowtus :LFS unreasonably increases acceleration for high pressure tyres.

Unreasonably? Try road cars, you won't be faster with 2,5 bar then me with flat 1,3 bar. And you should!
Android should be along soon

If I remember rightly, according to his graphs slip angle and tyre pressure are inversely correlated. The higher pressure the less slip angle you get so you need to be more delicate with the steering.

His graphs also showed that grip was inveresly correlated to tyre pressure. The lower the pressure the more grip you get.
Yeah, I remember that, but I wanted to know the comparison between high pressure/soft and low pressure hard, not pressure on the same compound
Quote from danowat :I would be interested if anyone had done any serious testing comparing high pressure/soft against low pressure/hard and also if anyone has any heat cycle info for the compounds and recommended pressures (like manufacturers do)

What do you mean by serious testing? Do endurance setups that run not far off wr pace count, or do we need graphs?

Pazi - Perhaps there is a difference in behaviour between slicks and road tyres that makes it so? Or maybe it's downforce? You're right though, I should have made clear the ones where it is most noticeable is the race cars.
Serious testing as in more than a handfull of laps
Oh, that's not so hard then
The low pressure / hard compound method has less grip, less responsiveness, less acceleration / top speed, less tyre wear, and a slightly more forgiving feel at the limit in some cases. (lx6 and the like particularly, not sure if the difference in feel is as noticeable in the race cars)
I did some setup testing earlier this week for the uxrl league, but a softer compound and higher pressure is the way to go.
But, personally I like a harder compound because races are unpredictable and I tend to burn up my front tires when fighting with someone (my throttle control goes back to n00b level then).
Another reason why I prefer r3's is because the temps stay stable over a race, so i don't have to struggle with a changing car balance during the race.
#12 - Dru
^^ +1 with that explanation

I guess Danowat is also second guessing what compound to take in the FE Gold race tonight as well

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG