The online racing simulator
on its last legs
(36 posts, started )
First pc I had was p3 500Mhz, 64mb ram with 10gb hard disk! 16mb graphics, felt alright way back then! Cost over a grand though if I remember right

On topic, what they have said seem good! If your willing to spend £600 then spend it all hehehe
Quote from mrodgers :You sure about that date Tristan? Since you've been playing LFS since 2003, how did LFS run on that 486 DX50? LOL

Thanks for spotting that - just so used to typing 200 at the start of years that I forgot to type 199 instead. To clear it up, I got my first PC back in 1993
#29 - Dru
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=20125

hi Al,

I got my new system for £530 and built it myself - see the attached link

Basically

E6600 Dual 2 Core
775 Mobo
1 GIG of Ram
DVD whatever
250GB SATA HDD
450PSU in X Blade Case

with full settings i get 200fps
goes to 100fps with a FULL grid

#30 - Jakg
Quote from Dru :http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=20125

hi Al,

I got my new system for £530 and built it myself - see the attached link

Basically

E6600 Dual 2 Core
775 Mobo
1 GIG of Ram
DVD whatever
250GB SATA HDD
450PSU in X Blade Case

with full settings i get 200fps
goes to 100fps with a FULL grid

Thx, looks a good way to go
There's a possible good deal coming on a little HP model with AMD 64 x 2 3800+ processor. Are these a serious proposition or old hat now?
At the moment the Intel's mid-range chips are quicker than AMD's flagship parts, and cheaper. If I was shopping today, I wouldn't buy an AMD chip.

Here's a comparison. Apparently the Core 2 Duo 6300 (the cheapest one) outperforms the X2 3800+ and would overclock to outperform AMD's FX chips.
#34 - Jakg
Quote from thisnameistaken :At the moment the Intel's mid-range chips are quicker than AMD's flagship parts, and cheaper. If I was shopping today, I wouldn't buy an AMD chip.

Here's a comparison. Apparently the Core 2 Duo 6300 (the cheapest one) outperforms the X2 3800+ and would overclock to outperform AMD's FX chips.

A Core 2 Duo can do 1/3 more than an AMD Athlon can per GHz, so you can use some not-so-hard maths to compare them
My laptop (main pc) broke about a week and a half ago, im without a decent computer now too (atm, old 933 with GF2 - 10fps in LFS)... I'll be scrounging around in this thread for some information, because I'll definitely be building my own in a month or so from now. No LFS for me for a long while though
#36 - Jakg
Whats your budget? 939 is dead in the sense that there are no new CPU's being made for it, but you can pick up single core 3700's for about £30, and if the mobos good enough you can do that and then overclock it to over FX57 speeds (which is what i've done the CPU cost me £26 in a special deal and it spends it's life at 3.07 GHz! )

on its last legs
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG