The online racing simulator
Becoming a Test Driver
(10 posts, started )
Becoming a Test Driver
I am 17 and now is the time to start thinking about college, careers etc.. I've been around cars all my life since my father was obsessed with them himself. So i've been reading and thinking about these automobile test drivers. I did some research and found out that becoming a test driver for an automotive magazine is not as hard as it sounds. I was thinking of maybe taking journalism in college and working my way into the field through editing for a magazine like that.

My question is, is there anyone here who is/was/knows about becoming a test driver and the correct, necessary path to take? Any help is appreciated
I had the same dilemna as you 2 years ago.

I have been around cars all my life too. Dad owned a KPGC-10 1972 Skyline GTR, a R30, a 1990 Skyline R32 GTR back in Hong Kong before moving to Canada, where he owned so many different cars. I was born in a Skyline, raise by a nismo-fan. Finally, I had to decide for college.

If you really like journalism, then go for it, but don't go for it jsut to be a test driver. You will hate all the years in college, university, etc. and that is not pretty.

I choose to go to science in college and later, got accepted to mechanical engineering at Concordia University. I love everything we do in class because it is either relevant to LFS ( lol ) or to my future job or even in my Skyline buildup.

Good luck.
thanks drift master. Yea thats one of the debates going on in my head "do i really want to take journalism or is it just because i want to be a test driver" hehe. I've got some thinking to do

Sully, beat ya to that one hehe i've checked out a few of those websites. Thanks for helping though.

I guess what i'm really looking for is someone who went through this experience already or is currently a test driver. Thanks for the quick responses both of you
no problem mate,ill keep an eye out for something !what kind of a test driver would you like to be ,as in dealership or something like a tv presenter like top gear maybe worth it to send them an email ,youd be surprised they might just email back
best of luck with it any way mate
I'm thinking about anything. A car magazine, company..anything really. I just think that test driving would be a dream job for me
Write a letter to car magazines and wait for their answer.
I think just about all magazines out there use journalists for their test drivers (is that why most of them don't know how to drive?). So, if you can take the moronically long essays, can spot the most insignificant details which are mostly fabricated by your mind and sleepless WEEKS (no, not just nights) then take journalism. It's a tough course, trust me. You WILL hate it. No wonder English majors usually come out to be alcoholics.
I'm working towards the same thing... Well, it has actually been an idea that just popped up in my head not long time ago, when I realised how much I have accomplished in the last few years. I have never thought that cars/motorsport journalist being a job, I would ever have a chance to get - but with the recent years of experience, it might not be unrealistic

In 2005, I started working for a danish racedriver in the national touringcar championship. By then, he was "nothing", but I was his press assistant and photographer.

2006: He presented a whole new team, two competitive cars with a famous driver to drive one of them. I designed the cars, maintained the press-work and also did a lot of work for the fanclub.

In 2007, the team is in cooperation with another team, and together they are racing last years WTCC-Chevrolet's in the danish championship. I am still the writer and photographer - and I have also got assignments for other drivers/teams.

2008? Who knows? I have recently talked to the editor of one of the biggest danish car magazines as a part of promoting a racing-class, I'm also writing for, and he is amazed with my work So maybe, in a year or two...

I wish you good luck - maybe we'll meet some day on Hawaii testing some hot supercars
Good luck with that Kim!

Becoming a Test Driver
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG