The online racing simulator
Oversteer in the XFG
(27 posts, started )
Oversteer in the XFG
Often when I'm accelerating out of a corner in the XFG, it'll start to oversteer, turning into it, braking or accelerating won't correct it and I smash into the wall. Is there any clever technique I can use to correct this terminal oversteer, or is it just a case of 'go a bit slower next time?

Also, after a bit of oversteer, I end up fishtailing down the road as I overcorrect each time. Is there a way of correcting an oversteer to minimise the chances of overcorrecting, or is the only way to learn not to overcorrect?

I'm using a 900-degree wheel (logitech DFP - 2 pedals) and manual gears if that helps.
try 720° as it is the max value by stock in this game & for this car, this should compensate alot. Also, what kind of setup do you use? Your own or a setupfield? The camber settings might be set to high if its your own setup. You could also check your wheel software, if enabled, disable (set to 0) the spring and damper effect bars as these effect will be already emulated by the game it self.

Hope this was a bit helpful.

Cheers
#3 - Jakg
Could you upload a replay? changing gear would make sense, but flooring it is usually an easy way to pull an FWD car into line
Oversteer when accelerating out of the corner? :zombie:

Please post a replay (SPR) of what you mean, because naturally the GTi shouldn't do this, it could just be steering input. The GTi sliding when entering a corner is the most common from either late braking, late/rapid turn-in, or basically just some quick tossing of the car's weight to make it lose it. But coming out of a corner, I'd like to see
#5 - ORION
Quote from Tweaker :Oversteer when accelerating out of the corner? :zombie:

Yes thats normal in those strange S2 setups... Just reduce front anti roll bar and its gone
Maybe he has knobblies on the rear :ices_rofl
Quote from 510N3D :try 720° as it is the max value by stock in this game & for this car, this should compensate alot. Also, what kind of setup do you use? Your own or a setupfield? The camber settings might be set to high if its your own setup. You could also check your wheel software, if enabled, disable (set to 0) the spring and damper effect bars as these effect will be already emulated by the game it self.

Hope this was a bit helpful.

Cheers

Thanks, I'll have a look at the FF software I'm using.

The Wheel is 900 degrees, but the game only uses 720 degrees of it. If I turn it more thean 720 degrees, the car's wheel doesn't move any further (if you get what I mean..)

Its the fe2 setup from Team Inferno's site I'm using.

I've been trying to use engine braking a bit more by changing down as I enter a corner and that seems to help a bit, but I still often get a big wide, unrecoverable oversteer as I come out of a corner. Its FE2 reversed I've been playing on most, and it happens a lot on the corner turning onto the long straight one before the pit straight (as you come down the hill past the chicanes by the beach), and also coming out of the chicane before the pit straight.
#8 - Jakg
a replay tells a thousand words - perhaps your rears are on grass or kerbs?
I'll do a few laps in a bit whilst recording and see if it happens.
Quote from Tweaker :Oversteer when accelerating out of the corner? :zombie:

Yeah, I'm with Tweak. Sounds to me like it's oversteering into the corner and just being carried through past the apex. I've never gotten the XFG to oversteer out of the corner. For a fast setup, and usually most of the inferno sets, you want oversteer into the corner. Straighten the wheel out more as you hit the apex and give it throttle and the FWD should pull the rear back in line as you exit.

I use the FE2 (that's Gold, right?) inferno set. I use it pretty much on all Fern Bay tracks. I don't find it very oversteery at all. Though I think there are two FE2 Inferno sets if I'm not mistaken. I do believe I'm using Party4U's set. It has nice suttle oversteer going into the corner and straightens back out nice as you straighten the wheel on exit.
Having a practice I think Tweaker and mrodgers are right - its a small amount of oversteer going into the corner whch carries through into a big unrecoverable skid as I exit.

I think possibly its inexperience - today I made myself slow down and concentrate on getting the right line and being smooth with the wheel rather than tearing around like a mad thing and its helping - I found I got very similar lap times being slower and smooth as I did sawing at the wheel and skidding eveywhere.

I've mostly been driving the XFG as I prefer the looks but I spnt a while in the XRG today and I think I prefer the RWD. It puts a lot more emphasis on the racing line as you can't use the FWD to drag it around corners.
Quote from mrodgers :I use the FE2 (that's Gold, right?) inferno set.

Just wanted to say that FE2 is Green and FE3 is Gold..
#13 - Davo
Quote from ORION :Yes thats normal in those strange S2 setups... Just reduce front anti roll bar and its gone

QFT. LFS has silly physocs that alows the FWD cars to overtseer on corner exit, if driven right it's very fast since you're accelerating and not understeering off.
Actually, in front wheel drive, your better off stiffening your rear settings. If the car is wallowing alot, ie rolling alot, increase your rear dampers to cut some of it out. That will get rid of your oversteer. If you want to have it understeer more, or its not wallowing, then stiffen your antiroll bar. If its just the wheel is turning too violently, then go to Options/Misc/Analogue Smoothing and increase that slider. Further to right = smoother.

The reason its better to stiffen the rear rather than the front, is you need a stiffer front for good turn in, on entry. This of course causes oversteer, but you can dial that out by softening rear. The result. A car that turns in nicely, yet is tidy thru apex and exit.

V
but its slower :/
...in LFS
Quote from ORION :but its slower :/
...in LFS

Not for everyone. It's definitely not faster for me having the rear end swinging back and forth down the straight section like a pendulum.

I like a little loose rear end (that sounds different than I mean, LOL), but some of the inferno sets are crazy loose and undrivable for many folks, both FWD's and RWD's.
You could try adding some front ARB
No, its faster. Because you don't have the rear sliding out washing off speed, which you then have to add more friction to to overcome it whic washes off even more speed. If the car turns in, with just a 'slight' ammount of oversteer. Its facing the right direction out of the turn automatically without sliding and without losing speed due to extra friction.
Quote from mrodgers :Not for everyone. It's definitely not faster for me having the rear end swinging back and forth down the straight section like a pendulum.

I like a little loose rear end (that sounds different than I mean, LOL), but some of the inferno sets are crazy loose and undrivable for many folks, both FWD's and RWD's.

The manual lays it out clearly.

Its all about managing a springed mass. Springs support the mass of the car. Dampers control the movement of that mass on the springs. If its too wallowy, then the dampers will control it. Bump Dampers control it when springs are under compression, and rebound dampers control it when its 'rebounding' from that compression. You basically set the dampers up to give you the feel you like with the mass. Then balance the car (oversteer/understeer) by adjusting the antiroll bars. If you want more info. Read the Basic Setup guide in the manual. Then read the advanced. You'll then understand it all

N just so you remember. to Induce:

Oversteer: Rear: Soften Front: Stiffen

Understeer: Rear: Stiffen Front: Soften

I thought I'd be tidy and reuse this thread, rather than starting a new one, as its fairly related.

I'm getting the hang of tweaking the handling until I get the car reacting as I want, but I'm having a lot of trouble on the SO Long and Town courses, on the hairpin at the bottom of the hill.

No matter how I set up the car, or how I approach (short of going stupidly slow) I always seem to lose the back end as soon as I touch the brakes coming down the hill, in both directions. Is there any particular line/driving trick/setup trick I can use to try and stop this?
#21 - Jakg
Post a replay if you could, to see what exactly your doing wrong
Quote from Crashgate3 :I thought I'd be tidy and reuse this thread, rather than starting a new one, as its fairly related.

I'm getting the hang of tweaking the handling until I get the car reacting as I want, but I'm having a lot of trouble on the SO Long and Town courses, on the hairpin at the bottom of the hill.

No matter how I set up the car, or how I approach (short of going stupidly slow) I always seem to lose the back end as soon as I touch the brakes coming down the hill, in both directions. Is there any particular line/driving trick/setup trick I can use to try and stop this?

If you're coming from the hotel (Boulevard Bend), there is a nasty ditch in the road, where first your car gets very light going into the ditch, locking up the tires coming out of it and get light again for the final descent to the hairpin... This piece of road is very tricky to get right, even with the right setup... Coming from the other side (Kenton iirc), going down the hill shifts more of the weight of your car to the front, making the rear light... In both cases, loosen up the brakes a bit... Crucially though, you have to get the line right, there is only so much a setup can compensate...
I've been practicing offline all night, and I think I'm getting the hang of it. The trick I've found is to choose a line that brings you to the turn-in point in as straight a line as possible, even if it means aproaching the corner at an odd angle.
Sure - that helps a lot. Some other things you can try when the back breaks lose under braking is adding a tiny bit of front stiffness, change the brake bias more to the front or even just keep a bit of throttle on while you brake. I use this technique an awful lot on the downhill sections of the SO circuits. You get the benefit of the oversteer at all the other corners but you can still control the back in that one place.
Quote from Crashgate3 :No matter how I set up the car, or how I approach (short of going stupidly slow) I always seem to lose the back end as soon as I touch the brakes coming down the hill, in both directions. Is there any particular line/driving trick/setup trick I can use to try and stop this?

Are you using a locked dif?
If you run a clutch pack dif on 80/80, you have a more consistent turn in response - ie it acts similarly whether on or off the throttle. You can achieve just as good cornering as with the locker, but don't have as unpredictable turn in. The parallel steer setting can also have a substantial effect on turn in after braking, in the fwd's.

Oversteer in the XFG
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG