The online racing simulator
LFS Forum: Optional real names
(30 posts, started )
#1 - axus
LFS Forum: Optional real names
At the time of picking our license names, many of us didn't know that we would one day use this username for a forum. Many of us also change our minds about nicknames as we get older and I think it'd be nice if we had the option of using real names. I think an extra field should be added to the profile for real name and surname - if people chose to use it then this appears above their LFS License like so:

Anton Tcholakov
axus (S2 licensed)
[Avatar]
Racername etc.

If they don't fill it out, then it appears as it does now.
Good idea, dunno what the heck I was thinking, must have had a black out and sort term memory loss.
#3 - joen
+1 obviously
Why not just use the "racer name" field? That's what most people seem to be doing.
#5 - bbman
Because that's different too sometimes?

Anyway, +1
Quote from axus :At the time of picking our license names, many of us didn't know that we would one day use this username for a forum. Many of us also change our minds about nicknames as we get older and I think it'd be nice if we had the option of using real names. I think an extra field should be added to the profile for real name and surname - if people chose to use it then this appears above their LFS License like so:

Anton Tcholakov
axus (S2 licensed)
[Avatar]
Racername etc.

If they don't fill it out, then it appears as it does now.

+1
+ ,4
+1cool
Good idea
+1, I hate not seeing my name in the... oh, wait a minute...
Hehehe
Quote from tristancliffe :+1, I hate not seeing my name in the... oh, wait a minute...

So your parents really called you Tristan?

:banana_ra
#14 - wark
#15 - axus
Quote from thisnameistaken :Why not just use the "racer name" field? That's what most people seem to be doing.

Because for one thing they're different sometimes, for another it's too far down and most people don't notice that.
I don't know how much it is possible (and sensible) to tweak the software running this forum but here's my suggestion:
Attached images
LFS_forum_test1.jpg
Quote from Hyperactive :I don't know how much it is possible (and sensible) to tweak the software running this forum but here's my suggestion:

Anything's possible for that matter.

I don't like your proposal though, because it will make things more confusing than convenient. Some will have their real name showing in a big font, others will have their usernames there instead. It should either be one or the other, but not varying.
The best option would be to have a "real name" entry just above 'racername', and have it show only if people want it to. Some would (axus), some wouldn't (privacy reasons) and some needn't (me), and it won't look cluttered either.
#20 - axus
Tristan - that kills the point - the idea is to have the real name as the main thing in the list so people pick that up rather than your nickname (possibly from four years ago that you don't want to use anymore).
ok then. Harassment continues!

What about here:
Just the first letter of the first name and then the surname...

OR
just a single line below the avatar without any explanations, just the text field for real name. Attachment 2

Attached images
LFS_forum_test1.jpg
LFS_forum_test2.jpg
I like your first suggestion Hyperactive. You can't spell my name right though.
Quote from Bob Smith :I like your first suggestion Hyperactive. You can't spell my name right though.

I had to use t because there was no d to copy/paste

EDIT: doh
First suggestion is probably more what axus () would like, but longer names could break the table layout or look ugly when wrapped.

My vote goes for #2 (not that I care about real names anyway).
Quote from Hyperactive :I don't know how much it is possible (and sensible) to tweak the software running this forum but here's my suggestion: Attachment No 26194

Big part of LFS is that every licensed user has a unique username. Hiding it somewhere down, where it would be hard to notice - wouldn't be right, IMO. LFS unique username should stay where it is now (top and with bigger letters than every other "name"). And do we really need 3 different names? Maybe an option in CP, everyone can choose between Racername: vMaxA.Tcholakov and Real name: Anton Tcholakov

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG