The online racing simulator
Open to modding community
(89 posts, started )
#76 - JTbo
Quote from wheel4hummer :This is how it would work out:

Someone makes a track for patch W. Then, patch X comes out! So, the addon section is cluttered with "help teh mod doesnt work"!!!111eleven11

LOL, maybe intention has never been make it possible before S3 is patched up
heres an idea... if people want to do a mod, then they can..

They can send it to people they know, and that good stuff, but it wont affect the main server.. (ahem, the game wont allow them to use the mod on the main server list) but maybe allow hosting of ip races so they can beta and stuff...

Then if they feel its ready, they can send it to the devs to have it added to the main server if its absolutely perfect (weeeeeeeeee, if anything, at least let people come out with cockpit models... ^^ i want someone to make a model with all the wires and maybe even a bottle of gatorade sitting on the floor that rolls when you turn XD)
Pretty much the same as everybody: I like the idea in theory, but since I know that in truth it's just awful, you won't see me play LFS if something like this happens. If it was only semi-profesionnals that know what they're doing and actually work WITH the devs, then it would be good.

However, we all know that it would be some total noobs trying to work out something with tools they've never used (actually nobody would have used them, but semi-pros would know the base). It happens in every game that opens to modding; look NFS4 for example. At the base, probably one of the best NFS made, but it went crap when people began to make stuff for it. And it wasn't even a multiplayer online game...
everyone goes on about the crappy mods on rfactor, but there are many great mods too, and i think you will find that the crappy mods get left behind, and the great mods remain to be played again and again. the megane mod for rfactor, one of the first mods to be on rfactor, still played today online with full servers. still, i dont think lfs needs modding, although i would love to have some great race series in lfs, as the online play is great. rfactors online play needs work. possibly for the future.
Well if that ever happened. Then I'd like the option to only show Pure servers. In fact, on that topic. I'd like to see a favourites added.
I love LFS physics...

I mean, I really really do.

I feel sad that it's limited to sports cars...

I mean, wouldnt it be great to take a proper SUV out on a more bumpy rallycross track?

I wish LFS had more racing styles, the physics are too amazing to keep on sports cars alone. No other game can offer nearly as advanced physics as LFS has. I'm not saying sports cars are bad, but tell me one game where you have physics realism of this magnitude. I think it needs to spread to other classes of vehicles.
#82 - Woz
Quote from Tekspdy :I love LFS physics...

I mean, I really really do.

I feel sad that it's limited to sports cars...

I mean, wouldnt it be great to take a proper SUV out on a more bumpy rallycross track?

I wish LFS had more racing styles, the physics are too amazing to keep on sports cars alone. No other game can offer nearly as advanced physics as LFS has. I'm not saying sports cars are bad, but tell me one game where you have physics realism of this magnitude. I think it needs to spread to other classes of vehicles.

It will, S3 when it comes will probably bring a new load of cars and tracks.

We have most of the car classes we need apart from a few exceptions such as:
  • Forula Ford style car. (Modern OW with no downforce)
  • 60s F1 style car. (Get the GPL crowd in)
  • Nascar style car. (To wake up the USA)
  • Aussie V8 style car. (To wake up down under)
  • USA style muscle car. (Like a Viper etc)
So that leaves a lot of space.

There is talk of a rally pack so that should bring a powerful version of the RB4 into the mix but would be nice to see a Paris-Dakar style car in that as well.

Truck racing would be good, like the big racing Merc trucks etc.
#83 - JTbo
Quote from Woz :It will, S3 when it comes will probably bring a new load of cars and tracks.

We have most of the car classes we need apart from a few exceptions such as:
  • Forula Ford style car. (Modern OW with no downforce)
  • 60s F1 style car. (Get the GPL crowd in)
  • Nascar style car. (To wake up the USA)
  • Aussie V8 style car. (To wake up down under)
  • USA style muscle car. (Like a Viper etc)
So that leaves a lot of space.

There is talk of a rally pack so that should bring a powerful version of the RB4 into the mix but would be nice to see a Paris-Dakar style car in that as well.

Truck racing would be good, like the big racing Merc trucks etc.

Also this to get loads of new people in
plz dont ruin this game by opening it to modders if i want to have mods i would have brought Rfactor

Keep LFS tidy & clean
#85 - JTbo
Quote from Psymonhilly :plz dont ruin this game by opening it to modders if i want to have mods i would have brought Rfactor

Keep LFS tidy & clean

And what makes you think that it will be ruined? Did you read whole thread?
yes i did but i seen it happen to many games and dont want to see LFS go same route

as i said "if i want mods i would buy Rfactor
#87 - JTbo
Quote from Psymonhilly :yes i did but i seen it happen to many games and dont want to see LFS go same route

as i said "if i want mods i would buy Rfactor

Things can be made wrong way or right way, but I guess you don't believe that modding can be made possible so that it will not end up to rFactor way?

Also as there most likely will not be possibility to mess with original cars and there will still be original game so it is nothing away from those who don't like to see mods it would just offer more so more users would come and some of those will also actually race original content too.

I must say that not any game has ever made modding possible with any kind of planning, they just leave few files open where kids then try to mess with values most don't even understand what they mean and that is wrong way to do it. Must not to be made that way, however there is many other ways to make it.
rF isn't the only game where modding creates chaos.

Trackmania Nations (which I used to play a while ago) - the standard tracks are great, but when you join a server that has custom tracks in the mix, nobody can finish the race because they require you to hit jumps at exact speeds and positions. An extreme example, but it means that people leave the server.

Counter-Strike. Again, the default maps are fantastic, but when clans start mixing their own custom maps in there, it screws everyone else over because the maps are designed specifically for that clan and nobody else knows all the best spots. Usually you end with a bias towards one side, and people will vote for a map change or just leave.

My biggest problem with this is still the idea that you'd probably have to make sure you have version 1.5.2.45 of the map to race online, because 1.5.2.43 got updated in the last 10 minutes.
#89 - JTbo
Quote from Dajmin :rF isn't the only game where modding creates chaos.

Trackmania Nations (which I used to play a while ago) - the standard tracks are great, but when you join a server that has custom tracks in the mix, nobody can finish the race because they require you to hit jumps at exact speeds and positions. An extreme example, but it means that people leave the server.

Counter-Strike. Again, the default maps are fantastic, but when clans start mixing their own custom maps in there, it screws everyone else over because the maps are designed specifically for that clan and nobody else knows all the best spots. Usually you end with a bias towards one side, and people will vote for a map change or just leave.

My biggest problem with this is still the idea that you'd probably have to make sure you have version 1.5.2.45 of the map to race online, because 1.5.2.43 got updated in the last 10 minutes.

In none of those games modding has been planned, just same thing as with rFactor, imo.

Different version problems is easiest to solve, I wouldn't even say that is problem, yes all games that have mods have that because they haven't never thought single minute about how to do it properly, they just leave door open and hope rich guy comes in and shares his wealth...
-
(yarimwilliamsrobert) DELETED by Scawen : looks like spammer (1st post, on join date, on old thread)

Open to modding community
(89 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG