The online racing simulator
pc performace affecting lap time
(43 posts, started )
I agree the faster computer will give you more info in the same amount of time than a slow computer which will probably make you react quicker to the game.
I have seen that happening to the game "monaco grand prix".. when I upgraded my pc i had a second quicker than my laptimes on the old processor.

And i don't think there is a possiblity to count how many fps can human eye read because it is completely organic and organisms don't run on a process cycle.Light reacting cells should be able to react in a time that is equal to electric signals travelling to the brain from each seperate retina cell.
#27 - CSU1
Quote from ZORER :I agree the faster computer will give you more info in the same amount of time than a slow computer which will probably make you react quicker to the game.
I have seen that happening to the game "monaco grand prix".. when I upgraded my pc i had a second quicker than my laptimes on the old processor.

And i don't think there is a possiblity to count how many fps can human eye read because it is completely organic and organisms don't run on a process cycle.Light reacting cells should be able to react in a time that is equal to electric signals travelling to the brain from each seperate retina cell.

humm...."organisms don't run on a process cycle."....the way I see is the EVERYTHING runs on a 'process' cycle from the very carbon fibers that build our bodys to the coming seasons of the earth.
The human brain process information in frequencyes 'per say' does it not? correct me im no medical student....
#28 - Woz
Quote from CSU1 :@ Woz: 100 fps on laptop which one you got?

Its a couple of years old now but has AMD64 3000+, 512Mb and ATI Mobile 9600 Pro with 64Mb.

I run Omega drivers, not the offical ATI and use 16bit gfx but with 2xAA and 8xAF at 1024*768 and all the rest of the eye candy max in LFS. I have multiplayer speedup on as well.

It locks at 40fps rock solid and never drops lower even on start. When not many other cars about and at the right points on the track it will hit 100fps but rare. Hence the lock to 40 to give the stability.

If you GFX card is the bottleneck then run 16bit GFX as its loads faster, just run with dither set or the graphics suffer too much.
#29 - CSU1
Quote from Woz :Its a couple of years old now but has AMD64 3000+, 512Mb and ATI Mobile 9600 Pro with 64Mb.

I run Omega drivers, not the offical ATI and use 16bit gfx but with 2xAA and 8xAF at 1024*768 and all the rest of the eye candy max in LFS. I have multiplayer speedup on as well.

It locks at 40fps rock solid and never drops lower even on start. When not many other cars about and at the right points on the track it will hit 100fps but rare. Hence the lock to 40 to give the stability.

If you GFX card is the bottleneck then run 16bit GFX as its loads faster, just run with dither set or the graphics suffer too much.

What are omega drivers?
mine is p4 at 3.2ghz with ati mobility radeon 7000, would omega drivers run on this?

E: *google*

how to check my catalyst ver.?
Quote from AndroidXP :No, the point is, the physics engine outputs the same result, whether you drive with 1fps or 100fps.

Hello, it is not so obvious, as it seems. For example in (almost) all Quake 3 engine based games (quake3, rtcw, rtcw ET) one can jump faster with fps fixed to the certain number (3, 76, 125, or 333), explanation. I have no idea, if the framerate affects lap times in LFS, but maybe under some circumstances it could.
#31 - Davo
Jak just doesnt't like to admit he's wrong or doesn't get things some of the time.
Quote from CSU1 :humm...."organisms don't run on a process cycle."....the way I see is the EVERYTHING runs on a 'process' cycle

Yes, the universe does have a graininess. Think about when an electron goes from one atom to another. It doesn't move slowly... It just appears on the other atom! It's quantum mechanics, which my dad (tried) explaining to me.
For the "perfect fps" thing I notice a difference between 20 and 30...and from 30 to 40 things become smoother, and anything over 50 I notice no difference. And don't forget monitors can only refresh so much, so anything over the refresh rate of the monitor is pointless.
~Bryan~
#34 - Woz
Quote from CSU1 :What are omega drivers?
mine is p4 at 3.2ghz with ati mobility radeon 7000, would omega drivers run on this?

E: *google*

how to check my catalyst ver.?

The new Omega drivers, like the Cat drivers after 3.8.252, will not support your card but there is a full history of versions on the site so just get the Omega drivers based on Cat 3.8.252.

Not sure how much they will help as looks like the 7000 was a couple of gens older than my 9600Pro but might help as will allow you to run newer Cat drivers than you probably currently can.

But make sure you are in 16bit mode, dither, try -0.5Lod and possibly half texture size. Half texture size helps loads but is the biggest costs in visual quality.

If you do use them make sure you uninstall your current drivers and run Rad Cleaner to clean up before you install Omega. All the info is on the site.

HTH
Quote from Kada_CZ :Hello, it is not so obvious, as it seems. For example in (almost) all Quake 3 engine based games (quake3, rtcw, rtcw ET) one can jump faster with fps fixed to the certain number (3, 76, 125, or 333), explanation. I have no idea, if the framerate affects lap times in LFS, but maybe under some circumstances it could.

Just had a quick read through it, and it seems it's a *really* Quake engine specific error. Something like this does not happen in LFS, as you can easily see by single player replays working on every machine, regardless of the fps it is able to display.
#36 - Jakg
Quote from Davo :Jak just doesnt't like to admit he's wrong or doesn't get things some of the time.

how exactly am i wrong? i've explained that on a TECHNICAL level the cars are the same, however the PERCEPTION of the car you get changes upon FPS
#37 - Woz
Quote from AndroidXP :Just had a quick read through it, and it seems it's a *really* Quake engine specific error. Something like this does not happen in LFS, as you can easily see by single player replays working on every machine, regardless of the fps it is able to display.

Yep, there was a Physics bug in Quake3 that meant locked fps of 82 or 112 (Something like that) allowed you to jump higher than other fps values. There were a couple of ledges you could only get to with these fps.

As far as I know it was fixed in a point release to make everyone equal.
#38 - CSU1
Quote from Woz :The new Omega drivers, like the Cat drivers after 3.8.252, will not support your card but there is a full history of versions on the site so just get the Omega drivers based on Cat 3.8.252.

Not sure how much they will help as looks like the 7000 was a couple of gens older than my 9600Pro but might help as will allow you to run newer Cat drivers than you probably currently can.

But make sure you are in 16bit mode, dither, try -0.5Lod and possibly half texture size. Half texture size helps loads but is the biggest costs in visual quality.

If you do use them make sure you uninstall your current drivers and run Rad Cleaner to clean up before you install Omega. All the info is on the site.

HTH

I installed the omega setup last night and seen little or no difference , it does come with a lot of extras/tweaks so I'll be sticking with them for now, thanks for the info woz.

@ wheelforhummer: I'm half way through this book by J.Gleick its a great read that looks at the fathers of physics, fluid mechanics, topology etc.
its not too much on the oul mind it just skimms over the basics, good read
Edit: never mind the review on ciao.com the author of that review couldnt understand the book ffs???

@ mod: sorry for the off topicness of the posts
#39 - Davo
Quote from MisterKris :The inputs given are more fluid and accurate. plus the car reacts much quicker to inputs. With your logic you can have the same lap times at 1fps and 500 fps.

Quote from Jakg :yup, you can, the physics engine works at the same speed regardless

I'd like to see you get a decent lap time with 1 fps lol
Quote from AndroidXP :Just had a quick read through it, and it seems it's a *really* Quake engine specific error. Something like this does not happen in LFS, as you can easily see by single player replays working on every machine, regardless of the fps it is able to display.

Yes it is. But you didn't look at the LFS client sources, did you? :-). Quake demos works on all machines, you can play speedrun demo on machine with 10 fps and it works. Playing demos is different from "regular" playing. My point is, that there _could_ be some similar fps bug (a feature, in Quake case :-)) in LFS. I agree, it seems, that there is no such thing in LFS and there are no symptoms of it. But we don't know it for certain and even Scawen doesn't know it for certain, because everyone makes mistakes.
Quote from CSU1 :humm...."organisms don't run on a process cycle."....the way I see is the EVERYTHING runs on a 'process' cycle from the very carbon fibers that build our bodys to the coming seasons of the earth.
The human brain process information in frequencyes 'per say' does it not? correct me im no medical student....

That should be "life cycle".And that's something different.I don't know much about "how a brain works" but that question is not well answered by science yet too.
Quote from Kada_CZ :Yes it is...

But single player replays in LFS work different than demos in Quake. LFS only stores player inputs - if you watch a replay, it re-feeds them to the physics engine which, as long as there have been no physics changes, outputs the same exact driving lines as the original one. As far as I know, Quake demos are a complete recording of player position, viewing angle and actions, so if a player jumped higher on his client because the calculation was fps dependant, it is also recorded to the demo because not "do jump" was saved, but each position on his jump trajectory.
Quote from AndroidXP :But single player replays in LFS work different than demos in Quake. LFS only stores player inputs...

It's the same as in Quake, you can look at the quake sources, if you don't believe me :-), they were released under GPL :-). I don't know, how the fps bug is handled when playing demos. But I know for sure, that Quake stores only player inputs and it plays demos correctly.
EDIT: I'm wrong , forget it. I just really looked into the sources, you are right, Quake 1 (but it would be similar in 3) stores object movement.

pc performace affecting lap time
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG