The online racing simulator
Starship troopers
(25 posts, started )
Starship troopers
Yea, starship motherf**king troopers....

Dunno what the point of this post is, but im drunk and im watching this film for the first time in like 8 years. And omg is it cheesy, Cheesy as the cheesiest french cheese you're gonna get. But omg is it fun, its just a grin fest, so great, so funny, just fun. Hollywood needs to make crap like this again.

If you haven't seen it then i highly recommend, its a cross between top gun (cheesy storyline), Full metal jacket (another amazing SIMPLY AMAZING film) and well star craft(zerg = bugs)

And ive just realised pitch black.... got alot to answer for :/ they basicly ripped the aliens straight out of this film

fd

edit: yea, bout the film references above, well theres more... zulu etc.... Christ this film just rips chunks out of other films, sticks bugs in it and nuts loads of guns.... YAY

another edit: and yea its throw away pap, but just so much fun! like a crappy arcade game you can't put down.
Full Metal Jacket is a masterpiece, great movie.
dont like the others though
#3 - Davo
If you think that's great you should see number 2, even more cheddar goodness But it's great, you've got me hooked and I might actually watch this movie myself. Last night i watched an old Bond with Shaun Connery lol
Quote from Davo :If you think that's great you should see number 2, even more cheddar goodness But it's great, you've got me hooked and I might actually watch this movie myself. Last night i watched an old Bond with Shaun Connery lol

Sean connery bond films aren't cheesy... roger moore... now thats cheese :P

But yea really recommend starship troopers, and its 10 years old :X remeber watching it when i was a... younger gentleman :X

edit: boosted, how can you not like zulu? Michael cain and stuff :P
starship troopers 2 is the worst sequel/movie i have ever seen.
Quote from fragile_dog :
And ive just realised pitch black.... got alot to answer for :/ they basicly ripped the aliens straight out of this film

Soo maybe they ripped off the bugs from this... but half life 2 did as well (and more so, they exactly the same but smaller :/)
#7 - Davo
Just finished watching it, classic stuff I'l watch number 2 tomorrrow to top it off.

Another movie with troopers in the title and that is absolutely brilliant is SUPER TROOPERS.
Watching Starship Troopers is required to gain citizenship, but Starship Troopers 2 is aweful. Generic script, no ambience from the original except for a bit bolted on at the start and end, low budget, rubbish acting, Hollywood at its most cynicle.
Starship Troopers should have won an oscar for lifetime achievement at the moment of its release.
"ST has to be watched to gain citizenship"
What do you mean by that Becky?

8MM 2 and American Psycho 2 are two other unbelievably bad sequels... I can't think of any others, or any worse ones, but cheapness of the caliber of these two has to be seen to be believed.

Everyone knows that ST is originally by Heinlein, right?
Quote from Breizh :Everyone knows that ST is originally by Heinlein, right?

And surprise, surprise! The book is much better than the film.

As we are talking about sh1tty films. How about Aliens versus Predator? Talk about crap! The comic book was good. The book was great. If they would have just tried a little harder it could have been a goodish movie.
My other half and I got thrown out of the cinema for "disturbing other patrons" while watching Starship Troopers - just couldn't stop laughing after the cow bit ...
I enjoyed Starship Troopers too, but got to mention Independence Day.. prolly the best one-liner I ever saw in a film was in that...when the the alien fighter got shot down and Will Smith ripped the canopy off, said "Welcome to Earth MoFo", and smacked him one....loved that bit

btw, full marks to fragile_dog for spotting the SEAN Connery mistake, but NUL POINTS for getting Michael CAINE wrong!!
Starship Troopers? As corny as what that was, I thought it was a great movie for what it was. It was based, loosely, on a 1950's sci-fi book by Andre Norton ( i think). But it and Idependence Day were a welcome change from E.T. and the other "cutesy" alien movies.
Actually based on a 1960's book by Robert Heinlein (mentioned further up :P)

Bladerunner: at that point I had polished off a bottle of whiskey..... and felt strongly on that particular issue :P
Quote from fragile_dog : And ive just realised pitch black.... got alot to answer for :/ they basicly ripped the aliens straight out of this film

I thought exactly the same when I saw pitch black

About the movie... well, I saw it in the cinema, and after the first 15 minutes I was thinking "What the hell is this?"

My favourite part: The military advertisements LOL
I don't recall any similarity between the bugs in Starship troopers and the aliens in Pitch Black =/

The bugs look exactly like the Zerg Queen (minues the webbing-like skin between the legs the queen has) from Starcraft.

BUT, the zerg from Starcraft were ripped off from Warhammer 40 000 anyways.

Anywho.. yea, Starship Troopers was a great movie. I loved it, and now I wanna watch it. I love how its done as a movie and training video in one. Neat idea.

Quote from Breizh :"ST has to be watched to gain citizenship"
What do you mean by that Becky?

IIRC, "Citizens" Were the soldiers in the movie. The movie itself was sort of a training video for them.
I know it was Heinlein's opinion, that you oughta get citizenship from service, but is that what Becky meant?
For who exactly are you saying the movie is a training video?
Quote from MAGGOT :I don't recall any similarity between the bugs in Starship troopers and the aliens in Pitch Black =/

Have to agree there too with Maggot, they dont really look similar to Pitch Blacks creatures. Starship Troopers i thought was a great film when i watched it, yes little bit cheesy but quite enjoyable to watch.

@ Eldanor: Yeah thought the military adverts were great lol

"Would you like to know more?"

going back to the mosnter similarity, I actually think that Half Life 2's monsters you encounter on the beach are very similar to the ones on ST...

mad
No similarity in the bugs to Pitch Black's ones at all! Starship Troopers was /meant/ to be cheesy, thats part of the charm.

I recon it influenced Halo 1, in the human's ships/guns/uniforms etc.
Quote from Breizh :I know it was Heinlein's opinion, that you oughta get citizenship from service, but is that what Becky meant?
For who exactly are you saying the movie is a training video?

For the soldiers in the movie. The movie is a cross between a movie and a training video, for the "citizens." "Citizens" are what the soldiers are called, in the movie.

Quote from Madman_CZ :Have to agree there too with Maggot, they dont really look similar to Pitch Blacks creatures. Starship Troopers i thought was a great film when i watched it, yes little bit cheesy but quite enjoyable to watch.

The cheese adds to the enjoyment, it adds to the comedy in it I think.
Nah, not a training video, a recruitment video maybe . And as for influences, ive not watched pitch black in some time so memory a little fuzzy :P. But whilst the film may have influenced a few things, the book (halfway through it now :X) seems to have influenced a hell of alot of scifi over the past 40 years.
ST is a great film some of the scenes are still visually amazing.

I'm a big fan also of the Late Carl Sagan his Cosmos series in the late 70's really struck a chord with me ,so although many people hate it, CONTACT is also one of my favorite SCI FI films, the opening sequence still gives me goosebumps everytime I watch it.
#24 - Jakg
Contacts a good film, although it needs a bit more action, tbh, although its VERY good on an intelectual level
#25 - Davo
OMG ST2 sucks

It has hardly nothing to do with number 1 at all. It must've been so low budget just being shot in one small outpost and some CG. The idea behind it is pretty cool but the movie sucks. Only good thing is the blone bimbo has an awesome body, I'd let her eat my brains too.

Starship troopers
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG