The online racing simulator
pc performace affecting lap time
(43 posts, started )
It might be kinda obvious but at home on my pc witch runs around 15-20 fps a good hot lap is in the mid 1:34's w/ GTI on BLGP.
Im house sitting for my parents and brought along my g25. their pc runs lfs around 100fps. after gertting used to piss porr seating I ran a high 1:33 and susbsequent mid33's. I think im gonna swap computers on them since its the same dell enclosure. Just aheads up for any1 looking for quicker laps.

If its a current repost you dont have to pee on me.
#2 - Jakg
no, it doesn't, the cars are exactly the same speed and so does the physics engine
Yup, an increase of FPS over 15-20 will yeild faster times, not because the computer itself is quicker, but because everything, from the display on your screen (where a lot of your feedback comes from), to the response times of your wheel, will happen faster and more fluidly.

Ignore Jak, he doesn't like newbies
#4 - Jakg
it will be easier because of the feedback, but it will NOT make the car handle better or drive faster
The inputs given are more fluid and accurate. plus the car reacts much quicker to inputs. With your logic you can have the same lap times at 1fps and 500 fps.
#6 - Jakg
yup, you can, the physics engine works at the same speed regardless
well for some reason I cant shift or turn or brake when I want to below 10fps but the car reacts much better at 100fps. When your screen is blinking and you cant control the car your saying you have the same lap times?
#8 - Jakg
technically? yes

will you? probably not, but the car handles no better, its just it feels easier because you get more input
No, the point is, the physics engine outputs the same result, whether you drive with 1fps or 100fps. Of course anything below 25 fps is of questionable drivability, but not because the simulation reacts different, but because YOU as a driver get delayed and non fluent input, thus all YOUR reactions will be delayed and inaccurate.
Thus quicker lap times.
*sigh*
Yes. We're just nitpicking. Nobody here denies that high fps are crucial for good laptimes. We just wanted to make sure you understand the reason for this.
#12 - Jakg
it is possible to get the same speed laps with .1 fps and 1000 fps, its just harder for the driver - the cars limits do NOT change
Quote from MisterKris :Thus quicker lap times.

Yes, but running LFS at 640x480 with no AA or AF, with 16 bit colors, and everything on "low", just to get 300FPS, thinking that your lap times will be faster is silly.
Jakq - I think we've established that, no one was arguing that higher FPS actually makes the cars handle different.
Wow Jakq your kind of being a dick. He wasn't talking about different physics. He was just pointing out the fact that at smooth fps (50+) it's easier to drive, and yeilds faster laptimes.
~Bryan~

EDIT: Okay Jakq you should limit your ingame fps to 1 and try to run an average lap time...
Yes I understand that a faster computer dosnt change the operations of the program itself, or however you want to say the same thing. I never elluded to the oppisite and think that the concept is pretty obvious.

Now I understand that a faster computer makes your car faster.
#17 - Jakg
Quote from dropin_biking :Wow Jakq your kind of being a dick

thanks, im glad thats what i get for explaining something
Quote from dropin_biking :EDIT: Okay Jakq you should limit your ingame fps to 1 and try to run an average lap time...

Quote from Jakg :technically? yes

will you? probably not, but the car handles no better, its just it feels easier because you get more input

Quote from MisterKris :Yes I understand that a faster computer dosnt change the operations of the program itself,jakgof .I assume that LFS is very kliky and full of drama?Im fluent in many topics covered in other forums and get sick from people adjusting their ego on those who dont have as much knowledge on a particular subject.
Sorry for the out of place rant.

i wasn't inflating my ego, i was saying that getting a faster computer WONT make you faster, and that the only difference it made was the affect of the driver and how HE reacted
Quote from Jakg :thanks, im glad thats what i get for explaining somethingi wasn't inflating my ego, i was saying that getting a faster computer WONT make you faster, and that the only difference it made was the affect of the driver and how HE reacted

And you said this five times... why?
#19 - Woz
Quote from Jakg :....

You really have NO idea at all do you, I have to ask if you are just being a troll?

While the physics are the same the users perception of the simulation is VERY VERY different. Users have a mix of sound, visuals and FF to determine what is happeneing to the car. At 10fps you get 10 times LESS visual information than at 100fps. The faster the car the more this effects the speed you can react to the car when it gets out of shape. You appear to be unable to grasp this VERY SIMPLE fact.

Think of it this way, At 200km/h you travel 200000m/h which is about 55m/s.

At 10fps you get a visual update every 5.5m while at 100fps you get a visual update every 0.55m.

Can you not see that 100fps makes it easier to drive than at 10fps. Now look at the BF1, at top speed with 10fps you are getting nearer to 8-9m or travel between screen refreshes.

No stop trolling and please don't say you are one of these peeople that beelieves the myth the human eye can't detect more than 25fps.
#20 - CSU1
calm down ladies!!!

This might be a bit off topic but how fast does the human eye capture images???-I mean what would be the possible 'greatest' fps before any more would not be seen by our eyes???

E:

I dont really get this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate, it reads 25-30 that must be wrong!
#21 - Jakg
Quote from Woz :No stop trolling and please don't say you are one of these peeople that beelieves the myth the human eye can't detect more than 25fps.

ffs, i DONT believe that, i was saying that on a TECHNICAL level it is JUST as possible to get lap x on any PC, HOWEVER you wont get as much input - no where did i say otherwise, all i said was that FPS doesn't affect the cars, their handling or their speed, merely your perception
Quote from CSU1 : calm down ladies!!!

This might be a bit off topic but how fast does the human eye capture images???-I mean what would be the possible 'greatest' fps before any more would not be seen by our eyes???

It not only has to do with visual, but with lag in the controller and in the sound, the controller being the worst.

I'm on an onboard gfx board. I know what it's like for framerate to dip down to 25 and below. The whole reason I was stuck at consistant times of 1:43-1:44's at Aston National in the FZR was mostly due to dropping to 25 or worse FPS at the final chicane entrance. The controller lag was such that I could not get a good entrance to the chicane, thus affecting my entire front straight speed.

No, framerate doesn't make LFS or the simulation physics faster, but it WILL make YOU faster as YOU will have better feedback and control.
Rofl @ Jakg ( laughing friendly though, make no mistake )

" Jak doesn't like newbies " - Tristan
Jakg IS a newbie lol

So am I and everybody else ( Tristan included ) too =_0 lol

THIS is LFS World ... Welcome, and once again lol ( including to myself )

It's all good, baby

P.S. Hi Mike !
#24 - Woz
Quote from CSU1 : calm down ladies!!!

Not sure the max you would notice because the eye does not work in frames, it picks up changes. There is a limit because IRL when moving at speed things moving fast blur which indicates the eye is not working fast enough to pick up the discrete details.

What your eye really does detect is fluctuations in frame rate. I lock my FPS to 40 on my laptop. While it can run 100fps at points it jumps all over the place and drops down to mid 40s at race start and certain points on the track. A
-
(pastorius) DELETED by pastorius
#25 - CSU1
@ Woz: 100 fps on laptop which one you got?

Quote from mrodgers :It not only has to do with visual, but with lag in the controller and in the sound, the controller being the worst.

I'm on an onboard gfx board. I know what it's like for framerate to dip down to 25 and below. The whole reason I was stuck at consistant times of 1:43-1:44's at Aston National in the FZR was mostly due to dropping to 25 or worse FPS at the final chicane entrance. The controller lag was such that I could not get a good entrance to the chicane, thus affecting my entire front straight speed.

No, framerate doesn't make LFS or the simulation physics faster, but it WILL make YOU faster as YOU will have better feedback and control.

Yes yes I agree 100% with the fact that a higher end PC will no doubt make you a faster/better driver, I know this as my machine sucks and a good fps count is paramount if one wishes to catch the end from kicking out at that split second.I think maybe jakq means that the LFS physics does'nt care what the FPS/gfx engine is doing...[sarcasm]jakq always loves to explain himself ever so fruitfully everytime [/sarcasm]

Anyway back to my off topic question ???

What is 'absolute' fps?

(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG