The online racing simulator
Running LFS on Linux, how to?
(49 posts, started )
#26 - JTbo
I would say that problem lies in Wine installation and configuration.

DCOM, Internet Explorer etc. are installed as well all other additional stuff? Easy to install with wine tools.
Quote from JTbo :I would say that problem lies in Wine installation and configuration.

DCOM, Internet Explorer etc. are installed as well all other additional stuff? Easy to install with wine tools.

IE? hell no!
i wont get win software on my linux install, i have it to get away from it!
opera ftw
but yea i guess ill try to reinstall wine or do it different...dunno.
u got msn/icq whatever?
maybe im doing something wrong...
#28 - JTbo
Quote from JTbo :DCOM, Internet Explorer etc. are installed as well all other additional stuff? Easy to install with wine tools.

LFS doesn't need anything installed beforehand.
#30 - JTbo
Quote from StuntCarRacer :LFS doesn't need anything installed beforehand.

It does not? Well that is good to know. I did install all and it worked right after I sorted 3d acceleration (Ati) and his Wine version is same as mine so really don't know what might be problem then.
try deleting the .wine folder in your home and run winecfg again?
well ive got lfs to run.
but 2 problems.
only get like 8-15 fps (70-120 on win)
and in the console i keep getting this error (lfs still runs tho)

Quote :fixme:d3d_surface:IDirect3DSurface8Impl_LockRect unsupported locking to Rendering surface surf@0x7fdca498 usage(1)

and this one (i also have crackling sound, so wierd)

Quote :err:dsoundSOUND_MixInBuffer length not a multiple of block size, len = 1, block size = 2

any ideas?
#33 - liq
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Not really, GLXgears is a very simple application, and doesn't require much stress.

Well, then if he gets 8000 fps, then I have a reason to worry, because on my 9600 pro, with ati drivers and direct rendering enabled I have this:
1245 frames in 5.0 seconds = 248.924 FPS
1244 frames in 5.0 seconds = 248.766 FPS

No wonder that lfs on wine and cedega is hardly working.
[RCG]Boosted: ad fps. Make sure, that you have hardware accelerated openGL working, if you're in doubt, attach here a result of a command:
glxinfo

EDIT: I just read your info by glxears it looks good. LFS under wine is set to the desktop resolution by default, maybe you have a high desktop resolution and thus lower frame rates?

A lots of fixmes is unfortunatelly quite usual, when running d3d application under wine. You can suppress it by running:
WINEDEBUG=-all wine LFS.exe

Crackling sound could be caused by no3d-accelerated running lfs. Check your opengl settings.
EDIT2: It's generally good idea to instal DCOM and IE under wine, it doesn't mean, that you have to use IE for web browsing. Some programs just use IE's dll for their purposes and thus they may work better than with wine's default native "emulation" dlls. No need to install them for LFS, though.
#35 - JTbo
Quote from liq :Well, then if he gets 8000 fps, then I have a reason to worry, because on my 9600 pro, with ati drivers and direct rendering enabled I have this:
1245 frames in 5.0 seconds = 248.924 FPS
1244 frames in 5.0 seconds = 248.766 FPS

No wonder that lfs on wine and cedega is hardly working.

I'm getting around 20-25fps 30fps peaks with radeon 9550 and duron 1300Mhz, not really playable, but works just and a just.

Enable hardware vertex and pixel shader for LFS.exe from winecfg I had something there disabled by default.
Quote from Kada_CZ :
EDIT: I just read your info by glxears it looks good. LFS under wine is set to the desktop resolution by default, maybe you have a high desktop resolution and thus lower frame rates?

A lots of fixmes is unfortunatelly quite usual, when running d3d application under wine. You can suppress it by running:
WINEDEBUG=-all wine LFS.exe

Crackling sound could be caused by no3d-accelerated running lfs. Check your opengl settings.
EDIT2: It's generally good idea to instal DCOM and IE under wine, it doesn't mean, that you have to use IE for web browsing. Some programs just use IE's dll for their purposes and thus they may work better than with wine's default native "emulation" dlls. No need to install them for LFS, though.

i have 1024x768 as resolution which isnt really big imo.
let me ask a stupid question, how do i check my opegl settings?
and ive installed IE and DCOM, followed a tutorial what JTbo gave me, which included these steps.
Quote from Kada_CZ :Crackling sound could be caused by no3d-accelerated running lfs. Check your opengl settings.

:/ dont know what to look for (after finding and installing the nvdia settings tool )
Attached images
openglsettings.png
Quote from [RCG]Boosted ::/ dont know what to look for (after finding and installing the nvdia settings tool )

E.g. OpenGL/GLX Information in nvidia settings tool, "Direct rendering" should be "Yes". But your glxgears looks good, you have accelerated openGL. Maybe "Antialiasing Settings"? I don't know why it is so slow, I have GF4200 Ti and I get around 50 fps at Blackwood. I use only 16bit color depth.

Question for all wine users, do you guys see textures on cars under wine? I see only wheels, chairs, driver body (without helmet) I have wine 0.9.32, but it's the same for all last year wine versions.
Attached images
lfswine.jpg
#39 - JTbo
Quote from Kada_CZ :E.g. OpenGL/GLX Information in nvidia settings tool, "Direct rendering" should be "Yes". But your glxgears looks good, you have accelerated openGL. Maybe "Antialiasing Settings"? I don't know why it is so slow, I have GF4200 Ti and I get around 50 fps at Blackwood. I use only 16bit color depth.

Question for all wine users, do you guys see textures on cars under wine? I see only wheels, chairs, driver body (without helmet) I have wine 0.9.32, but it's the same for all last year wine versions.

Ah, this one, fiddle with those LFS graphics settings, Hardware vertex shader and such, it cured that for my game. Also from winecfg had to set those hardware and pixel shader to use hardware.
Can't remember what other settings in LFS did make this, hmm, sky was one and haze effect too that I did play with, have to restart game to get it show what it really did effect, but that was possible to cure.

You will get then lot less fps when you see more of car.
Quote from JTbo :Ah, this one, fiddle with those LFS graphics settings, Hardware vertex shader and such, it cured that for my game. Also from winecfg had to set those hardware and pixel shader to use hardware.
Can't remember what other settings in LFS did make this, hmm, sky was one and haze effect too that I did play with, have to restart game to get it show what it really did effect, but that was possible to cure.

Yes, I read about at least one succes by disabling haze effect to solve this issue. I tried almost everything, but it's goot to hear, that it should work with some settings. So I'll keep trying, thank you :-).
EDIT: I found it, you have to disable (set to "None") Vertex Shader Support in winecfg. It is not enough to disable Hardware Vertex Shader in LFS (it is still used, even if it's disabled, yes I restarted LFS). Unfortunatelly, this is a fps killer, I got 30 fps (60 fps with HVS). You have to also set "Simple track (no car shadows)" to "all", unless there are no textures on the track. The car still looks weird, all collors are wrong. Well, the d3d code in wine gets better in every wine release, so one day... :-). BTW I got force feedback working under wine for my wheel (WFF GP), but not in lfs.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :well ive got lfs to run.
but 2 problems.
only get like 8-15 fps (70-120 on win)

Seems too low for GF7600. I usually get 20-30, unless it's a full grid or lots of objects on track, then it may sometimes go a bit lower.

Hardware for comparision:

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [KM400/A] Chipset Host Bridge
00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] (rev a1)
[...]
CPU: AthlonXP 2000+

Software:

Kernel 2.6.17.13, NVidia drivers 1.0.9746, wine 0.9.32
Related Wine and LFS settings attached as screenshots.

Quote from [RCG]Boosted :i also have crackling sound, so wierd

I think it's normal with too low fps, however I noticed sound in LFS was working better on Wine with U version. When LFS changed the sound code to DirectSound, it got much worse, more laggy and crackling more often.
Attached images
wine-settings.jpg
wine-lfs-settings.jpg
ah...i was running 32 bit colors...that may be a reason.
i will have a look into it later tonight, and update this post then

Quote from Kada_CZ :Question for all wine users, do you guys see textures on cars under wine? I see only wheels, chairs, driver body (without helmet) I have wine 0.9.32, but it's the same for all last year wine versions.

no problems for me here, i only dont get the dasboard displayed, means i need virtual "gauges".
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :ah...i was running 32 bit colors...that may be a reason.

Only Z-buffer is 16-bit (must have been like this by default as I don't remember changing it). The color depth is 32-bit, so I think the bottleneck may be somewhere else...
Attached images
wine-lfs-screen-settings.jpg
i changed z-buffer to 16 bu didnt help.
still 8 fps, sometimes 15.
see attached screens for my settings.
Attached images
graphics.png
screen.png
winecfg.png
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :see attached screens for my settings.

I set the graphics settings same as yours, and my fps dropped a little. I found out it was caused by the high res shadow. Car shadow is broken for me anyway, turning it off gains around 5 fps for me.

I couldn't set screen refresh rate as high as yours, because my LCD monitor when connected by DVI cable has very limited refresh rate settings. Shouldn't be a problem though, few months ago I've been playing LFS on Wine at 85Hz on my old CRT monitor and it wasn't any slower.

It seems you are getting a lot of errors from wine. Strange, as I get only a couple (screenshot attached). I wonder what is the cause for these errors.
Attached images
wine-lfs-console.jpg
Quote from StuntCarRacer :Strange, as I get only a couple (screenshot attached). I wonder what is the cause for these errors.

d3d api is not fully implemented, "stub" means that called function is empty and that it doesn't do (almost) anything.
Quote from StuntCarRacer :It seems you are getting a lot of errors from wine. Strange, as I get only a couple (screenshot attached). I wonder what is the cause for these errors.

yep, the same error pops up like 5 times a second.
no idea whats causing it

i could post a short log if some1 is interested.
#48 - JTbo
I'm getting loads of those errors too for some reason.
As I wrote, d3d implementation in wine is not finished (and it'll never be, because of new versions of api). Some things are implemented partially or wrong. For particular fixme you can look at the wine sources, why is the fixme there. If you don't like the messages/wanings/fixmes, you can suppress it by setting the variable WINEDEBUG, e.g.
WINEDEBUG=-all wine <application>
gives you no messages (it saves some fps).

I managed, how to display car textures (still far from perfect) with hardware vertex shading "on". Set "UseGLSL" to "enabled" in the registry editor (wine regedit), see UsefulRegistryKeys for details. It doesn't work with older nvidia drivers, I use 1.0-9631. I cannot use newer, because I have legacy GPU :-(. I get 55 FPS (gf 4200 ti) at blackwood.

Running LFS on Linux, how to?
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG