The online racing simulator
#1 - FL!P
Adding elements to existing tracks?
I've been a couple of times on some team's public server where a South City config had been modified by the addition of tire walls and other similar elements (for example they added a wall along the pit exit line to prevent people from cutting it, etc).

When I tried using Shift+U in existing tracks, I could select elements (like cones, lines, etc), but I couldn't add them to the track. I've searched the forum and the wiki for how to do it, but I didn't find anything (I guess I didn't search for the correct terms). Any pointer to some info about this would be greatly appreciated.
press O to place objects
#3 - FL!P
Thanks for your quick reply, XCNuse!

I was hoping to get some more info, though (how to save your changes, how to make them accessible to others, etc). Anyone with a link to a thread or a page where I can find it?
Most of the settings are self explenatory I guess

On the left hand corner there are the edit keys in this form

<shortcut> - <function>
eg
O - Object
which means press O to put an object on the track etc

Below this are the general User Interface keys in the same form
<shortcut> - <function>
eg
Esc - Exit
which means Escape key exits the editor

On the bottom left hand corner there are the orientation tools.

For the first two to work you must select an item first.
Eg
press S. Now you have selected the "Start Position" arrow
Now with the mouse slide the knob of the "heading" slider and see the arrow rotating. The direction of the arrow is the direction of the nose of the car at the start/finish line. When you are happy with it press O to put the object on to the track below your current mouse position.

The same goes for checkpoints and the finish line.
Note the little square in the middle of the objects. The active object has a yellow color and the rest have orange. If you click on this little square you can select a new object and change its position/orientation and then move it with the "M" key or even delete it.

The rest of the options there determine the camera position of the viewer.

On the up right hand corner there are some buttons with the names of some groups of objects. When you click on "Chalk" for example you are getting a list of chalk objects on the right like
Chalk ahead
Chalk ahead2
Chalk line.

If you click on the "Cones" group button you are getting another list. Click on these items to select them, change their orientation as you wish and then put them on the track by pressing the O key.

And fianlly on the bottom right hand corner there are some layout related options like the laps required to finish the race, and the Load save options for the layout.

Well, that was a brief summary of the interface of the editor, if you have some more queries post here again
Attached images
Editor.JPG
#5 - FL!P
Thanks a lot for those detailed explanations! They clarified several points I wasn't sure about.

My last question is about putting the updated layout on your server. If I understand correctly, you just have to drop the lyt file into the layout directory and load it using /autox <filename>. Is that correct?
Yes

if its called lets say AU1_drift you would tyoe

/autox drift

got it?
#7 - FL!P
Great! Thanks a lot for your help, guys!
#8 - J@tko
Sorry to revive an old thread!

Basically, I want to add a chicane (a la Rockingham) to the Kyoto National Reversed track for the Beginner's Cup race that we're going to have later this season. When I press shift-u, I get the screenine below, but when I press O nothing happens!

Can anyone shed some light?

EDIT: Screenie is too big! Basically, there is the normal shift-u menu on the left and there are some buttons on bottom right called 'options', 'load layout', 'empty' and 'unnamed'.
Make sure on the bottom left you have "place objects" set to 'yes'.
That should do the trick.
Quote from XCNuse :Make sure on the bottom left you have "place objects" set to 'yes'.
That should do the trick.

Yes - it worked. Thanks. I'll post the result when I'm done; Kyoto National Reverse a la Rockingham!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG