The online racing simulator
Dedicated Server: banning duplicate names?
I have already asked this question in the beginners forum but I didn't know this forum existed until now

Basically, with a dedicated server (where you cannot bring up the list of names with the kick/ban buttons) is there a way to kick/ban players that use duplicate names or names that are not typeable? There was a player named "I have" one time, but no matter how I tried to type that name, the server kept saying "Invalid user name."
bring up the connections list (N) and RIGHT CLICK on their name. this puts it in the text box for you and then just move the curser to the start and put /ban then go back to the end of the name and put the ammount of days.
but the amount of days ie 0 or 1 has to be in the same colour as the last letter in there name

For example a ban would look like this

/ban tombarlin 1
Quote from tombarlin :but the amount of days ie 0 or 1 has to be in the same colour as the last letter in there name

For example a ban would look like this

/ban tombarlin 1

If use CTRL + SHIFT you will see the names toggle between ingame and registered names (colour free). So right-click on the registered name then follow Franky's instructions.

Remember:

0 = 12 hour ban
1, 2, 3 etc = days.
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof
Yes, it was a demo server I was running. Dedicated as well, so hitting 'n' would not bring up any menus.

However, all this is moot since I will be licensing myself shortly anyhow. Thanks for everyone's help
#6 - SamH
For the record, if anyone doesn't already know, in a dedi ui for an S2 server, you can type /names and it will switch from display names to lfsworld names.

For demo servers, the only way AFAIK is to join the server, right-click on the name and edit it to say "/ban userPl4y3rn4m3 1" etc. Scawen fixed the bug where the colour codes messed things up, so you don't need to set the colour of the ban code any more. There is no longer anything to stop you banning anyone, but of course on Demo since it's by IP, it's far less easy to make the ban permanent. Although this is a by-product of not having licences for demo users, and therefore not an intentional shortfall, nevertheless it's yet another reason to get a licence
What is the case when you try to ban someone using the right-click method and it comes back with "invalid username". I've had this happen twice now on two different usernames. Immediately, I went to LFS World to look up the usernames, and found both of them. Is this a glitch, or is there something more sinister happening here?
Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof :I believe he is asking as a demo player. There people don't have usernames, only nicknames. And as far as I remember some nicknames can't be banned (containing spaces, weird characters, etc ?).

I knew that :dopey:

/me whistles

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG