The online racing simulator
One of the greatest things on the internet?
(44 posts, started )
I think so, its so awesome, you lot have probably know about it for yonks , but I only found it yesterday.

www.pandora.com

You put in a music artist, then it will play a load of songs that are similar to it, it's free (all you have to do is make up a fake USA zip code to register) and it's truely awesome IMO
I absolutely love it! I've known it for about a year now, and it's really a great site.
Dan, your some man for finding the cool stuff on the net!!
I get the feeling they dont work you hard enough in that job of yours!!
Quote from nikimere :Dan, your some man for finding the cool stuff on the net!!
I get the feeling they dont work you hard enough in that job of yours!!

How do you know that that's not my job
Yes, its great to discover some new bands and singers!
Greatest thing on the internet? LFS!!!
/crappiness

I think it's the online games like WoW and Counterstrike, etc. They bring entertainment to a higher level, and a higher level of headache for parents. =D
This is superb
Quote from danowat :I think so, its so awesome, you lot have probably know about it for yonks , but I only found it yesterday.

www.pandora.com

You put in a music artist, then it will play a load of songs that are similar to it, it's free (all you have to do is make up a fake USA zip code to register) and it's truely awesome IMO

Is that like last.fm?
Thats great! I love it.^^

http://gnoosic.com/. Its also good to find new bands or music styles.
Pandora rocked the 90's

..But Last.fm > Pandora, because you can integrate it to any player (if not natively, via lastfmproxy), and send info of even locally played mp3's with audioscrobbler plugin.
I have audioscrobbler logs on my mp3 player which I can upload (although I think I need to fudge the date as it wiped the last lot as "spam protection").

TBH I've still found most new music recently through wikipedia and word of mouth.
wow.. that is pretty cool, cheers Dan. Just as a test i typed in Moonsorrow and it found it to my surprise

great stuff

mad
Quote from Bob Smith :I have audioscrobbler logs on my mp3 player which I can upload (although I think I need to fudge the date as it wiped the last lot as "spam protection").

Audioscrobbler on mp3 player, how and does that require some kind of special features from the mp3 player? I have iRiver H320, which is already 2 years old...

I find Last.fm's "similar artists" quite useless... because it lists bands that other people have also listened. So there's no guarantee that band y sounds even remotely similar than band x. Last.fm's song preview samples are very helpful.

There was also some kind of service where you could write your favourite band and then it created a kind of a mind map with similar bands and genres around it? Does anyone know what I mean?
Pandora + Pandora's jar (google it ) = Greatest thing on teh intarweb.
Quote from deggis :I find Last.fm's "similar artists" quite useless... because it lists bands that other people have also listened. So there's no guarantee that band y sounds even remotely similar than band x.

You may be right, but at least when you have scrobbled, lets say for 3 months every song you have listened from your collection, it can learn pretty darn well what to play on "recommended station", or "neighbour station".
Brilliant! Thanks Danowat

There's some good stuff in there. Only problem is... got a valid 5 digit USA zip code? - hehe

edit: done
Just use one of the many Zip code searching sites to make one up
When asked for a ZIP code I always remember that old US soap, "Beverly Hills, 90210"
#20 - Jakg
i just use "12345"

I LOVE it tho!
#21 - Vain
It doesn't work for me.
I choose an artist, it plays some songs that I like, starts suggesting a song that I don't like, then suggest songs that are even further away (because I didn't like the last suggestion), which I don't like, so it suggests something even worse, repeat.

It managed to move from The Prodigy to Pop and thinks I'd like some strange emo-gothic stuff on my Depeche Mode-station.

Whatever I do, I end up telling it that I don't want to hear anything it suggests ever again. It never comes back to what I originally wanted.

Vain
#22 - th84
Use mine... 31029

That is a pretty cool site, ill have to check it out more when Im not on a company PC.
I found it last year; introduced me to many new bands, including my beloved canuck rockers, 3 Inches of Blood. I think recently I've found more bands through free sampler albums, though. Of course, that's because I started buying cds again, all because of Pandora.com. It introduced me to new bands, who I looked into further. I then bought their albums, some of which came with sampler albums of other bands I looked into and bought cds from, again a few sampler albums... Viscious cycle of great music! Not to mention concerts. I never payed much attention to Lacuna Coil (except the female lead singer. WOW!) until I saw them in a show with In Flames a few months ago. Seeing her in the flesh was enough to get me interested; but the music is great too.
Pandora now open only to the USA
#25 - S0ul
What the Hell?Is everybody fooling me? In online Games, i can only play on US servers because the games tell me i apparently live there and germany is too far off....Like hell
This site tells me,i live in Germany and i cant register?
Where do i live now,im confused

(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG