The online racing simulator
Damage
(27 posts, started )
Damage
I know ... LFS is a really realistic game. The damage is very minor. I hit a wall at 85 mph and it just put a big dent in it... If you hit a wall going that fast in real life your car would either

A. Blow to pieces
B. Not run anymore
C. Blow up in flames.
Not D. sit there and go again.

I hope i got my point across ... ty for reading!
Yeah cuz I mean if you look at crashes on the street EVEN at 50 MPH most crashes are deadly and end up with the car totaled.

Don't even get me started on Drag Jousting in LFS.

Great topic BTW!
Quote from Dyllaann :
C. Blow up in flames.

Where is the source of ignition in that case actually (ok, it might cause an electical problem near the fuel tank but flames coming out of the car are generally caused by engine/gear box/fuel tank faliure),
the cars just have to shrink if you now what i mean (dont know how to say it else :P) and do the cars drive on nuclear power in LFS? i never c an engine
#7 - joen
The current engine damage system has always been a temporary one. Made relatively quickly to make it harder for wreckers.
I'm sure we will see a newer, more complete and better damage system in future releases.
Quote from GruntOfAction :Yeah cuz I mean if you look at crashes on the street EVEN at 50 MPH most crashes are deadly and end up with the car totaled.

Don't even get me started on Drag Jousting in LFS.

Great topic BTW!

The reason for that is because the cars now fricking suck ass, now if you put a new dodge charger and a old dodge charger the old one would win because its more stronger even know its older...
My bro got in a crash and he smashed into the guys two doors and he had to buy 2 new doors but my brother only needs new paint....

But yeah the crashs's in LFS could be better..
#9 - Jakg
Crumple Zones - More damage, less pain...
#10 - wark
Quote from duke_toaster :Where is the source of ignition in that case actually (ok, it might cause an electical problem near the fuel tank but flames coming out of the car are generally caused by engine/gear box/fuel tank faliure),

Well, realistically, it should be quite possible for (at least the BF1's) carbon brake discs to burst into spitting flames (the which being very hard to extinguish) with no petrol involved.

Also exhaust pipes, I imagine, are quite capable of setting many things ablaze: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GifqpYyo48Y as you can clearly see.
Cars, generally, don't blow up to pieces when you smash them like they do in the movies. It just doesn't happen. A fire is of course possible, but you could say it's quite rare if the poor car was properly built.
Hmm , what abaut if you crash or something , the engine will turn off

and you have to push i again
#13 - JTbo
Crash @ 64 kph

Anything less is arcade.
And yes, cars don't blow up, very rarely they set to fire also, leaking fuel to hot exhaust manifold might set fire, but not necessarily.
Anyway leaking fuel in case of accident don't really happen as it did happen in 70's and early 80's and it was not quite often even back then in accidents.

Only B is therefore valid, other options just don't happen.

But we can only wait and see what will be schedule for damage updates, there are many things that are needed to be done before that I believe.
Keep in mind that one of the shining points of LFS is that it's beninner friendly. I can't think of anything more frustrating to a beginner than making a simple mistake and ending up with a car you cant drive anymore even back to the pits for repair.
moare accurate damage would be nice, but it really wouldnt accomplish too much if the car was in such a state that it could no longer at least be limped.

So i propose a compromise, realistic, but limited damage.
Quote from joen :The current engine damage system has always been a temporary one. Made relatively quickly to make it harder for wreckers.
I'm sure we will see a newer, more complete and better damage system in future releases.

from what i understand it was made to stop people using the barriers at south city as guides to get fast times. If anything its encouraged more wrecking.
#16 - JTbo
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :Keep in mind that one of the shining points of LFS is that it's beninner friendly. I can't think of anything more frustrating to a beginner than making a simple mistake and ending up with a car you cant drive anymore even back to the pits for repair.
moare accurate damage would be nice, but it really wouldnt accomplish too much if the car was in such a state that it could no longer at least be limped.

I can't agree really. LFS is really hard for newbies to try to drive as what they have learned from NFS is not helping at all, because of realism.

Also realistic damage would teach them very quickly that going slow is going fast.

If some gets frustrated then they get, I really would like to see real sim instead of tamed arcade fun and that includes all kind of damage, mechanical, collisions, abuse, etc.
#18 - Gunn
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :Keep in mind that one of the shining points of LFS is that it's beninner friendly. I can't think of anything more frustrating to a beginner than making a simple mistake and ending up with a car you cant drive anymore even back to the pits for repair.

I can't agree with you there. Effects on handling and perfromance from damage should be as accurate as possible, if the car is undrivable the driver must retire.
LFS used to have no damage and when the feature was introduced I recall many racers were worried about it and wanted an option to disable it, but once they all got used to it nobody thought it was an issue at all.
Newcomers to LFS should be introduced to this concept right from the start. Damage that can not be disabled and that may end your race is a good thing for a race sim.
Aye, some of the best parts of GPL were the fantastic crashes. Well, they looked bloody exciting, and usually ended up with you watching your tyres passing you by .
Sadly, it was a sight I have gotten very familiar with.

If crash damage deters people from driving GT3 style (read=wallriding) thinking it would give them some sort of competitive advantage, I'm all for it. People will eventually learn to appreciate the demand put on them to keep it shiny side up. If not-they can always go back to GT3.
In short more advanced and realistic damage makes LFS even more enjoyable for me. And it is sometimes quite nice to drive the cars into wall at 200kph and see the massacre

Bring on the radiator damage, wing damage (aero damage), shattered windows, broken driveshafts, missing gears and smoky engines. *dreams mmhhh*
#21 - JTbo
Quote from Hyperactive :In short more advanced and realistic damage makes LFS even more enjoyable for me. And it is sometimes quite nice to drive the cars into wall at 200kph and see the massacre

Bring on the radiator damage, wing damage (aero damage), shattered windows, broken driveshafts, missing gears and smoky engines. *dreams mmhhh*

Also if you take shortcut over high curbs, that would make oil pan damage and oil drain plug missing consequences would be nice to have

Loosing silencer in hard landing causing increased sound volume and black flagged out from race because of exceeding sound limit of race track, that would add some realism too

My list of features is as long as IRL damage, so better not type everything
Ok, so the car's covered. Although I don't like the idea of realistic injuries to the driver (or passengers) it would also be interesting to add the effects of a hard jarring to the driver like blurred vision when the head is forced to move really fast or even a momentary blackout if the car goes shiny side down (maybe because the virtual driver is trying to close his eyes and pretend it is a bad dream).
Quote from Blackout :Cars, generally, don't blow up to pieces when you smash them like they do in the movies. It just doesn't happen. A fire is of course possible, but you could say it's quite rare if the poor car was properly built.

Reminds me of this crash, pretty nasty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_gOisoUbEg
Quote from MariusPX :i have a sugestion too , i do not is that damage , bet still . Uknow when u are driving in real world about 100km/h or les and u sudenly starting to spin in 180 degrese and u miss to push clucth or switch to lower gear the engine shuld shut down , but it's never shuting down in LFS , exept when your fuel tank is emty

thats because LFS puts the clutch in for you, it doesn't currently support stalls

Damage
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG