(65 posts, started )
Hope you have alot of fun with it. You built yourself one hell of a rig
Things I still need to get for it :

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 11 500GB
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Edition DVD - OEM
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel
Dell E207WFP 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-4000 Freeview/Digital Satellite TV Tuner

Total for the above: £751. By that time I'll have to upgrade my computer again. Amazing how technology develops .

Anyone know what the state of play is with the logi G25? I've been reading alot of bad reviews on it on the RSC forum. Have they fixed the pedals and created problems in the wheel and gearstick? Or is it only a batch that had got problems?

Cheers for anyone that can help with my next "investment".
#53 - Jakg
the problems are rare, i LOVE my G25, no problems at ALL here!
I'm going for my next upgrade within a month or so and would love your advice or any alternatives you think that might do their job better.

Wintv Hvr4000/pci Quad Tuner Card
Seagate ST3500641AS Barracuda 500GB
Zalman Heatpipe CPU cooler
Microsoft OEM Windows Vista Home Premium x64Bit
ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier
Arctic Silver 5

The Hard drive and CPU were just random picks so if there's better HD's or CPU coolers I'm open to suggestion.
Since I use the stock heatsink and fan with Intel's grease I guess that is the right cleaning stuff I need for taking the old stuff off?

Since Vista is bound to the hardware of the computer, would it expire if I were to change the RAM? At the moment I have el-cheap-o ram and am going to buy some decent ram when I get enough money again, but didn't want to install vista, only then have it expire when I change the RAM.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated :up: .
Quote from seggons :I'm going for my next upgrade within a month or so and would love your advice or any alternatives you think that might do their job better.

Wintv Hvr4000/pci Quad Tuner Card
Seagate ST3500641AS Barracuda 500GB
Zalman Heatpipe CPU cooler
Microsoft OEM Windows Vista Home Premium x64Bit
ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier
Arctic Silver 5

The Hard drive and CPU were just random picks so if there's better HD's or CPU coolers I'm open to suggestion.
Since I use the stock heatsink and fan with Intel's grease I guess that is the right cleaning stuff I need for taking the old stuff off?

Since Vista is bound to the hardware of the computer, would it expire if I were to change the RAM? At the moment I have el-cheap-o ram and am going to buy some decent ram when I get enough money again, but didn't want to install vista, only then have it expire when I change the RAM.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated :up: .

People might tell you that there are better coolers than the zalman. So what, I have one 9700 led and i love it. Keeps my mild overclock nice and cool.

Most (all?) zalmans come with there own thermal compound which is as good or better than as5. Just a freebie you might want to use.

Also isopropyl alchohol cleans the old stuff off fine. AS5 + that cleaning kit is gonna get at Most A Degree cooler, if that.
The rest of the hardware looks good, should be treat you as ur machine becomes quite the multimedia machine!
Personally, I wouldn't touch Vista with a 50 ft pole at this point. There's simply no benefit over XP at the moment, especially since Vista is still so incredibly buggy (from what I hear). XP SP3 is almost out, too.
Quote from Forbin :Personally, I wouldn't touch Vista with a 50 ft pole at this point. There's simply no benefit over XP at the moment, especially since Vista is still so incredibly buggy (from what I hear). XP SP3 is almost out, too.

But would you recommend he Buy XP when Vista is out???

Edit. Wait, he's already got XP I'm assuming...

Yeah buddy, Don't go getting Vista yet, not worth the headache!
#58 - Jakg
Quote from srdsprinter :People might tell you that there are better coolers than the zalman. So what, I have one 9700 led and i love it. Keeps my mild overclock nice and cool.

Most (all?) zalmans come with there own thermal compound which is as good or better than as5. Just a freebie you might want to use.

the Zalmans work, but the Big Typhoon, Tuniq Tower and Scythe Infinity cool even better for the same price

Who told you the Zalman compound was better? theres only one thing better than AS5, and thats Shin Etsu
The way I see vista is the same as LFS. It don't matter how long you hold off, it won't get no cheaper and vista can only get better.

I'll have a look at them coolers Jakg.

Thanks everyone once again .
Quote from Jakg :the Zalmans work, but the Big Typhoon, Tuniq Tower and Scythe Infinity cool even better for the same price

Who told you the Zalman compound was better? theres only one thing better than AS5, and thats Shin Etsu

I've seen it both ways, I don't really remember. (mostly saying AS5 is better, but certainly a number saying otherwise). Plus if you're not out to break any records, why pay 30 bucks more for the AS5 and Removal kit. Plus plus, if you are out to break records, get another cooler. I like my Zalman, because its quiet, good performance, and looks amazing. I don't mind 1 degree warmer, and 25MHz slower...
#61 - Jakg
...AS5 = £5 for several CPU's worth

TIM cleaner - £10 for a MASSIVE bottle, not that you'd need it...

AS5 is not the best, Shin Etsu is better (Shin Etsu make the thermal paste for the area between the Die and the IHS on the AMD CPU's - but of course the stuff a consumer buys is MUCH higher quality from them), but its £8 for ONE CPU's worth, which is too expensive the 3 degree temp drop.
Since I have been saving up again it's time to do my last upgrade for a while (I hope). Vista 64 has eaten into 80% of my L-cheap-o 1 GB of RAM. So now the funds are here I'm looking for some semi decent stuff that will allow me to overclock if need be in the future.

So far I have been eyeing up 2 sorts of RAM:

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8500 1066MHz
and
Corsair (TWIN2X2048-6400C4PRO) XMS2-6400 2048MB

The only reason I've picked that Corsair set is because of the LED's that would give the inside of my case some nice eye candy.
Yes I know I shouldn't be picking RAM because of how it looks on the inside of my case because I'm not going to be watching it, but hay, it looks nice.

Now your views on my selection or maybe you can offer me a better 2GB set for under £200?

Thanks allot.

Edit: I feel as if I should be paying for the technical support you've all given me.
#63 - Jakg
the OCZ stuff is "SLi Ready" which means when you plug it into a mobo supportng it (i think the mobo must be a 680i chipset) it automagically overclocks itself, the OCZ stuff is faster (MHz wise) and cheaper, but it has larger (and therefore slower) timings, however Timings aren't as important as they are on AMD systems, and if they were the same price i'd go for the OCZ, but their not, for £150 their a sodding bargain, and you could throw in a £30 Corsair Dominator memory cooling system that looks like something from the planet 1337, and have some money to spend on some neons (cold cathodes) and Nawzzzzz (Red Bull )
Quote from Jakg :(i think the mobo must be a 680i chipset)

That's correct, that's another reason for my 680i motherboard.

Quote from Jakg :you could throw in a £30 Corsair Dominator memory cooling system

On ebuyer there currently £13.
I don't know if you'll know the answers but I'll ask anyway.
Would it work with OCZ RAM?
Is it worth it?
How is it powered?

Quote from Jakg :have some money to spend on some neons (cold cathodes) and Nawzzzzz (Red Bull )

That's too pimp for me

Thanks allot Jakg. :up:
#65 - Jakg
oh, i thought they were more expensive

They work on all RAM, i think their powered via molex, and their only useful if you intened on passing stupidly high voltages through your memory, but for £13 its just as cheap to build your own ghetto one, although i think i'd go for the dominators

Advice On A New Gaming PC.
(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG