The online racing simulator
geforce fx 5200
(44 posts, started )
To be honest, you can save a bit of money by getting a motherboard and processor bundle - for £100 on ebay I've just bought a P4 3GHz with MB that has on board graphics and an AGP slot, 400MHz FSB etc, and 512Mb of ram. Yes its last year's technology, but you have to cut your coat to suit your means
#27 - Jakg
that mobo is...ok, although if you could give me a budget of what you want to spend it would be most helpful
i supppose if i went really crazy i could go for about £150 but i am looking at the new asus crosshair as that look soooooooooo good
#29 - Jakg
the Asus Crosshair may look nice, but its AM2, and are you sure you need all the features it offers?
tbo yeah i am a bit of a gadget freek, i really want to outdo my dad who is a pc enginer and boasts about having the best pc and it will support future upgrades and its inly 50-70 gbp more than the other mobos i was looking at, at what is wrong with am2 and have you got a better option
#31 - Jakg
well you cant use DDR RAM In an AM2 mobo, or use a 939 CPU

a better option would either be a Core 2 Duo, or a dual core

If you think you know about PC's - would overclocking do it? you could get an overclocking mobo for about £40 (thinking of a DFi RX200 thingy here) and an Opteron 165 for £100 (a decent stepping), if you took it to 3 GHz (possible with decent air cooling) you would have something faster than anything AMD have ever made at stock
would you go intel or amd and i thought you could use ddr with am2
and im not stupid ofcourse you cant use a 939 with an am2 but you can get am2 dual core, and at overclockers they only have about 3-4 939 boards because that is what i origonally planned on useing, and overclocking may do it but the place were i keep my pc dosnt have excellent cooling so i would want a watercooling system and i would like to start with a good chip anyway so i dont need to push it by overclocking it
#35 - Jakg
AM2 MUST use DDR2 RAM, the memory controller is on the CPU, and the memory controllers on AM2 chips need DDR2

eBay would be another place to look for 939 boards

I would ONLY go for intel if you were going for a Core 2 Duo CPU, as they are AMAZING and have AMD beaten hands down
Quote from Jakg :AM2 MUST use DDR2 RAM, the memory controller is on the CPU, and the memory controllers on AM2 chips need DDR2

This is board specific, isn't it? AFAIK there are some boards that support both.
well i WANT ddr2 so that is fine
#38 - Jakg
Quote from frokki :This is board specific, isn't it? AFAIK there are some boards that support both.

no it isnt, one mobo (the ASRock one) supports 939, but with an add-in board supports AM2 and DDR2, the memory controller is on the CPU, and its the memory controller that wants DDR2

Intels leave the memory controller on the mobo, and thats why their board-specific
pleasde read the thread "site down" in the stcc section for some reason today i am coming across a bit in a bad mood today and i dont know why so sorry
#40 - Jakg
no problem, if you want DDR2 (i only said it as you might already have DDR ram and want to keep it) then AM2 is your best bet, although Core 2 Duo also uses DDR2, and rocks AMD atm
no i only got good ole (sorry crap ole) sd ram
Quote from Jakg :no it isnt, one mobo (the ASRock one) supports 939, but with an add-in board supports AM2 and DDR2, the memory controller is on the CPU, and its the memory controller that wants DDR2

Intels leave the memory controller on the mobo, and thats why their board-specific

your on the money there bud, i have that very board. tiz a very nice cross-over board. the only down side now is that it is getting very hard to get a 939 cpu higher than a 3200 (only checked dabs tho)
#43 - Jakg
eBay? ive seen a LOT of 939 cpu's being sold
i don't do ebay. i hate them and they hate me. they won't accept my debit card details

geforce fx 5200
(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG