The online racing simulator
#51 - JTbo
Quote from Dajmin :The problem is people don't concede when they lose a place like that. They hold their own position and normally end up taking both the opponent and themselves out of the race.

If you watch replay I posted earlier in this thread, you can see how we are not perhaps very skilled racer, but racing was rather good because we did take care not to hit each other even fighting from position, that is missing mostly on races I have had on public server, people should be burn their fingers when cars collide, maybe that would teach them to take care not to touch.
Quote from Dajmin :The problem is people don't concede when they lose a place like that. They hold their own position and normally end up taking both the opponent and themselves out of the race.

With 2 good racers battling it out, it is very possible for both to "hold their own positions". I'm not talking racing line, I'm talking side by side racing. It is very possible to race many consecutive laps wheel to wheel with someone through every corner without either giving up and letting the other go. I've done it many times, and that was on demo servers with a 50/50 mix of demo/S2 drivers.
Hopefully once aero damage is properly modelled that will discourage people from making such aggressive moves and force them to be more aware of the cars around them. Being quicker through a turn is one thing, but flattening the front of your car and taking 20mph off your top speed is something else entirely

@mrodgers
By "holding their position" I actually mean exactly that - not racing position, but track position. Behaving like there's nobody else on the track, forcing those around them to swerve all over the place to try and avoid them.
Quote from mrodgers :With 2 good racers battling it out, it is very possible for both to "hold their own positions". I'm not talking racing line, I'm talking side by side racing. It is very possible to race many consecutive laps wheel to wheel with someone through every corner without either giving up and letting the other go. I've done it many times, and that was on demo servers with a 50/50 mix of demo/S2 drivers.

Ive had this happen also, not for laps after lap but for a few corners each lap. I was racing XFR at blackwood and ended up side by side for a few corners, then i would get ahead, then he (or she) would get along side and re pass. This only ended as the other person ended up with over heated front tyres.

Really there are aggrevating things about online racing but it all seems worth it when you have an excellent and close side by side race.
-
(S14 DRIFT) DELETED by S14 DRIFT
To the original post...thats all part of racing. I have never watched a race where some one wasn't accidently taken out by one of those factors :P.
There is only one thing I really don't like (and I know I don't have much time online, I'm just too busy most of the time): joining a server and before I even hit second gear leaving the pits there are two votes to ban me. I mean, why? What did I do? I hadn't even been in this one before.
I can just see some possible things:

- some kids messing around with the thought "this is our server"

- In an "all cars allowed" server you are using a different car. For example, if there is an UF1( or MRT) race going on at the moment you join and you choose the FZR (or BF1), well that's not very sensible.

- Lag problems

Anyway ban people its just harsh, in my view with the 'kick' option for the 2 latest problems would be enough, after a verbal warning of course.

The first option happened to me in my first month in LFS and it wasn’t very nice and gave me a wrong image of LFS online community.

On the other hand, for the people that say "or well that's racing, if you don’t like those things happening, don’t race, and blah blah blah"

Well I’m agree in some way, but imagine that LFS would be even a more real simulator and your S2 account would be dispatched with a virtual racer career, and you could actually die or get harmed virtually, that would be racing, people minding to get harmed or harm another racers in T1, or have to wait a week to get the car repair.... (That would be a radical idea I know I know)

See you.
#58 - Gunn
Quote from Drift_0k :Braindead fags who drives the wrong way, purposely crashes his car into you, and call u a noob after that:thumbsdow Doggy Style banging from the ass i hate teh most:weeping:

If you are having so much difficulty expressing yourself in a civil manner it may be better just not to post at all.
I wish I would pay more attention to people's LFS World names...

These are just stupid decisions on joining n00b servers... When n00b 1 gets the inside line and everyone else is on the outside... then he starts getting on the gas and starts drifting to the outside. Then n00b #5 comes hauling anus around the corner and slams into everyone. Big crash, havent even made it around the first corner....

Or when you're going through S turns and that guy riding your back bumps you off the road... That happened on the Bronze server(can't remember the name but i KNOW you guys know what im talking about).
Quote from nikimere :I've heard these arguements before... they're pretty poor tbh!
There is no such place on a race track where you cant overtake.
Every inch of tarmac is an overtaking opportunity.
People who say "ohhh you cant pass there" should learn how to race.

The real problem lies in HOW people try to pass.
There are certain turns in which a late apex is required to get through the next section. Take for instance the last right hander at Aston Club.
If a car was beside (inside) me as I approached the braking /turn in point, it's common sense that they've taken the position, and I SHOULD yield.

The problem is, many people ( not only noobs) see a piece of daylight as you drive beyond the geometric line going into the corner- and floor it -.
They could be 3 car lengths behind you as you start the turn in, but they floor it and arrive at the apex under FULL braking exactly at the time that you are hitting the apex under a controlled arc. There is no option for you in this position, you've commited to the racing line, and the only escape lane is driving into the wall.

There is no thought to what will happen once they reach the apex - which usually involves shoving you off the track, as they continue on, which may be the reason it happpens so often.

Even worse is when you try to defend against such stupidity by taking a very tight low line heading towards the right hander, and someone jumps inside over the curb, into the grass, and comes back onto the track just in time to use your car the way the average driver uses the walls at So Classic.

So, yes ,there may be no PLACE in which a pass is NOT possible. But there are many circumstances under which a clean pass is not possible.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG