The online racing simulator
Another Blue Flag Question
(16 posts, started )
If your a lapped driver can you pass cars that are a lap ahead of you if your clearly faster then them? I usaully stick behind especially if there in the front of the pack but there have been times that its just too slow and i pass them only to get flammed for it, even if i dont effect there racing line.

Probably been answered before but i couldnt find in search.
#2 - Gunn
If you are clearly faster than them you can (and should) of course unlap yourself and pull away into the distance. But you would have to be consistently faster than them, not just be able to overtake but to leave them behind.
If they're getting shitty because a backmarker passed them, it's their own fault for being so damn slow Keep clean and ahead of them and you'll have nothing to worry about.
Ok thanks much for clarifying, thats what i was going by.
Indeed, you can pass them but the only reason it should happen is because they really crashed their cars. In a real race, it would mean that they gained a whole lap on you, therefore the only reason you can pass them is because they crash (or they just passed you and make a bad turn).

However, in LFS, there are some situations in which this might happen. If, for example, you come out of the pits in Blackwood and there's a car. Of course, you let him pass. Even if he's a lap or more ahead of you, you soon realise that he's really bad and you can pass him. Well, if he's that bad, just wait for him to crash :P If not, just try to pass clearly!
I'm usually quite slow (midfielder --) and don't mind if I'm overtaken by a blue flagged who is clearly alot faster than me. The only annoying thing then is if you are jostling for position with another midfielder and the guy passing creates interference in that positon. So I would it is polite to be very careful if you are going to get caught up in several close-racing cars which are one lap ahead of you.
I had a really fast backmarker trying to pass me once (Might've been Renku) at Westhill, he chased me really hard for a couple of laps and I was really hoping I would finish ahead of him even though he wasn't on my lap but he did get past eventually. In the end I was glad he did because the next guy he passed made a mistake and I got past him too.
Quote from CYA LTR :I'm usually quite slow (midfielder --) and don't mind if I'm overtaken by a blue flagged who is clearly alotfaster than me. The only annoying thing then is if you are jostling for position with another midfielder and the guy passing creates interference in that positon. So I would it is polite to be very careful if you are going to get caught up in several close-racing cars which are one lap ahead of you.

I am in this same position, the majority of the time not one of the fastest cars, but I have found myself doing battle for position with another driver, and the driver who is a lap ahead has caused incident, or is not respectful of the fact that while they might be far ahead of me, I am trying not to loose my ongoing battle for position to the car in front of me. some logic needs to be used. people are often very quick to get hot about a driver not respecting the Blue Flag, but they are only looking at it from their cockpit. In my short amount of time playing LFS, i think it is an issue that will never have a good solution, that is abidedby by all drivers.
If I see a (lapped) car coming up behind me that is significantly faster I'll make an effort to let them by. It's easier to do that then to fight with them and cause a wreck.
Hmm..this can be tricky.

I'm so distracted by a car that clearly has no right to fight me for position that i easily lose a second or two every lap.

I really had this problem once, being the car that was a lap a head.
The lapped car made me so fed up and distracted that a was loosing about two seconds a lap.

In reality he wasnt faster than me, i had just lost some time for some reason and he closed up, cant remember why.
But when i had him in my arse (yes he bumped me a couple of times) i was driving really bad.

Then, after the race, he complained about me being slow, GUESS WHY I WAS SLOW!!

I won the next race.

Blue flag means MOVE IT! Don't even come close to the car that is ahead of you. If he crashes or loses a lot of time, then you can pass him.

In LFS you get the blue flag well before you really need to move over, so only noobs that clearly has no idea what a blue flag means can be in the way of faster cars.

Just my :twocents:
Quote from boosterfire :Indeed, you can pass them but the only reason it should happen is because they really crashed their cars. In a real race, it would mean that they gained a whole lap on you, therefore the only reason you can pass them is because they crash (or they just passed you and make a bad turn).

Not true, a recent example would be last years F1 season where birdgestone tyres basically stopped working, schu dropper back got lapped then as the race went on bridgestone tyres worked and schu un lapped himself.
Yesterday or few days ago, don't know exactly. I was the backmarker, and I felt I was faster or maybe equally fast as the car a lap ahead of me. After the race he said I shouldn't block him, but I wasn't really paying attention to block him. Maybe it was per accident, awful lag that day. So I said a half sorry
This nigth, I drove on So long, in the Xfg. One guy came out, because he jumped to the pits, and was about the same speed as me.

He was lapped, but was so close to my car, that it was annoying. I had to concentrate about him, instead of trying to gain a position in the race.

It`s so god damned sad, that people can`t let the race leaders, battle out for the podium, when they are lapped, so god damned clearly
If this happens on my server, I will ban such a driver for at least a year

I you jump to the pits, because of a bad start, then you have absolutely no rigths in the ongoing race. If you do things like this, and rejoin the race - Then the racer have to move over and make sure he doesn`t interact with the ongoing race

WHY CAN`T PEOPLE LEARN THAT ??
#14 - avih
Quote from alland44 :This nigth, I drove on So long, in the Xfg. One guy came out, because he jumped to the pits, and was about the same speed as me.

He was lapped, but was so close to my car, that it was annoying. I had to concentrate about him, instead of trying to gain a position in the race.

It`s so god damned sad, that people can`t let the race leaders, battle out for the podium, when they are lapped, so god damned clearly
If this happens on my server, I will ban such a driver for at least a year

I you jump to the pits, because of a bad start, then you have absolutely no rigths in the ongoing race. If you do things like this, and rejoin the race - Then the racer have to move over and make sure he doesn`t interact with the ongoing race

WHY CAN`T PEOPLE LEARN THAT ??

It can happen IRL, I was at Le Mans when one car stopped in for a driver change, went back out and the other guy was much faster, to the point where he was the fastest guy on the track, was unlapping everyone, including the leader a couple of times to claw back the lap defecit. Nobody complained, it's just racing. So long as you've having good battles and enjoying yourself, is the number at the end that important?

I would agree though that if someone uses shift-S after more than a couple of laps, they should actively avoid all other cars on the track. Or if it's an important league, then spectate.
Quote from Bob Smith :It can happen IRL, I was at Le Mans when one car stopped in for a driver change, went back out and the other guy was much faster, to the point where he was the fastest guy on the track, was unlapping everyone, including the leader a couple of times to claw back the lap defecit. Nobody complained, it's just racing. So long as you've having good battles and enjoying yourself, is the number at the end that important?

I would agree though that if someone uses shift-S after more than a couple of laps, they should actively avoid all other cars on the track. Or if it's an important league, then spectate.

If he goes all the way around the track, and then pits and gets the car repaired - Then he can can attack, because he is still part of the ongoing race I have no problems about that. But wo ever joins an ongoing race, has to be careful, and try not to disturb any of the "legal" racers.

(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG