The online racing simulator
LFS freezes and crashes
(23 posts, started )
LFS freezes and crashes
every time i play lfs the game will almost certainly crash, leaving me with a blank screen and a stuttering engine noise. Some times it will just freeze with no sound and sometimes i will lose the sound untill i pit then it will come back again.
I have reinstalled, upgraded my graphics card, checked for virus, malware, cleared out my registry... all to no avail.. any ideas please.......
What are your computer specifications? Post them please.
#3 - joen
Is there any pattern as to when this happens? Or does it just seem totally random?
Since when do you get these problems, has it been since the new sound engine was implemented? Have you tried upgrading your soundcard drivers?
Are there any entries in your event viewer that may have something to do with this? (control panel->administrative tools->computer management->event viewer)
i got an AMD athlon xp2400+ 2.1 ghz 1gig ram, G-force gs 7600

Event viewer :- Type. Error Source. Appilcation Error Category. None

I am sure my PC is up to the job as i play Battlefied 2 with no problems and as for the event viewer, it doesnt tell very much. Thanks
I know as much as a peanut about AMD, so you will have to wait until someone that knows something to show up. Aside from that, when exactly does LFS crash, when you launch it? When you pit? When you join a new host?
there is no pattern to it crashing, online, offline, during a race, between races it dosent matter, after 1 min or 1 hour, it has no time pattern either...... its got me beat... thanks
thats one scary lookin wolf
#8 - joen
When it crashes does it just freeze LFS and you can just get out and restart it? Or does it completely freeze your whole PC?
Did you try finding updates for your soundcard? I had a problem much like yours a long time ago and it was fixed by an updated soundcard driver in that case.
Have you overclocked? Did you check temperatures?
Quote from xWolFx :I know as much as a peanut about AMD, so you will have to wait until someone that knows something to show up. Aside from that, when exactly does LFS crash, when you launch it? When you pit? When you join a new host?

that cpu is decent enough.
but seems to be overclocked as i got an athlon xp 2600+ at 1.92 ghz.
The CPU - I don't think - is the problem here, maybe its the HD failing to load proper information? He has a decent GFX card so that's not the problem either. He runs XP not Vista and he says that he has no viruses after running a scan. Its got me stuck also.
Yes 2.1Gh is way to fast for the 2400.. I would reduce it to stock asap,

Sounds like classic overheating symptoms too..

I think if nothing in your SW has changed recently, and your PCs been running fine for ages before the problem started, is probably, as Joen stated temprature related. Specifically CPU temp, have you had the side off and checked your fans and fins are free from dust and fluff?

If you know what you are doing, it might be worth renewing the thermal compound in between your cpu and Hsink, dont attempt this unless you know the risks.

SD.
yep, looks like an overclocking / overheating issue.
That's only a 100MHZ overclock for a 2400 CPU. Always worth ruling out though.
latest update. Ive just downloaded the latest sound drivers and played online 4 about 30mins with no problems.
I havnt overclocked the pc, i wouldnt know how, i cleaned the fans out a bout 2 weeks ago and i run my pc without the covers on...
CPU Temp 52 degrees System Temp 21 degrees

I am still unsure wether the prblem is now cured because i can be playing for an hour or more before a crash so i will let you know at a later date

Thanks all for your responces
Quote from Bob Smith :That's only a 100MHZ overclock for a 2400 CPU. Always worth ruling out though.

100 mhz?
ur talking bout the core...?
cuz the 2400 should be quite a bit lower than mine, and has 200 more atm.
still got the problem....its got me beat ]
Quote from Bob Smith :My AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (TB-B) ran at 2.0GHz stock.

Which ties up with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L ... Athlon_XP_microprocessors

hmm, wierd mine does only 1.92 ghz.
no idea why
aida says:

CPU-Eigenschaften
CPU Typ AMD Athlon XP-A, 1921 MHz (5.75 x 334) 2600+
CPU Bezeichnung Barton
CPU Stepping A2
L1 Code Cache 64 KB
L1 Datencache 64 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

do i have the wrong bios setting and do run it too slow all the time? lol
(sry im not trying to hijack this topic )
Barton core Athlon XPs have a lower clock speed for a given speed rating.

That said, my first thought upon reading the original post was "overheating," but it could be the GPU overheating rather than the CPU.
excuse my ignorance but whats the GPU and at what temp should it run?
#21 - joen
Quote from Monkfish :excuse my ignorance but whats the GPU and at what temp should it run?

Graphical Processing Unit, so basically the CPU (processor like an AMD or Intel) of your video card. The temp varies per card but I would say it should be around 50-ish degrees. Although it may be higher for high-end cards.
my gpu temp is running at 36deg so my problem isnt there
one thing i have just noticed is that after crashing the error report says I am running windows NT when i am actually running XP. My version of XP is an upgrade of NT.........

LFS freezes and crashes
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG