The online racing simulator
Am I on bridgestone's??(dodgy tyres)
(24 posts, started )
what is going on with my tyres,I drive as smooth as I can but within a couple of laps they are glowing red and im just skidding all over the shop.I've tried all the different compounds and different set-ups but nothing seems to work.I havent got a wheel but I do use a analogue pad with the accel and steering on my thumbsticks.Other people I race with seem to get round all right,so I borrow their set-up but I still scrub my tyres.Any tips plz??
Post a replay of your driving and we can give tips.
The most basic rule (which I found out the hard way): Brake early, brake cautious. Try not to lock the wheels.
To make this task easier, tweak the brake settings:
Set the braking force to around 875 (standard is 1000), also set the balance a little bit more to the back (3-5%). Now braking should be easier...
I think you're referring to the GTi, or the GT Turbo at best, but he could mean any car. In the XRR I have a braking force of 1650 so giving absoulte values won't help him that much

Also just decreasing the braking force should be enough, as a more rearwards distribution increases the possibility of his back stepping out. But in general you are right, smoothness is the key.
Steer less. If they squeal like tortured pigs you've over done it...
also if your tire pressure is to low it will heat up real quick
Quote from XCNuse :also if your tire pressure is to low it will heat up real quick

Isnt it another way around?!
No. High tyre pressure means less "squishing" of the tyre (#1) and more air in the tyre that needs to be heated (#2). Too much pressure leads to an uneven wear though, and can heat up one part of the tyre faster then normal.
Yes, but in the FWD GTRs, most of the tyre heat is generated by wheelspin, not by tyre deformation, so lower tyre pressures actually help since they provide more grip, reducing wheelspin, and keeping your tyres cooler for longer.

So it depends on the circumstances as to what is the best solution.
But you were only talking about surface temperature of the tires, does the amount of pressure have the same affect on the inside temp? With the FXO I saw that lower pressure means lower inside temp, but like Bob said this must be very depending about the circumstances how the tires are heating.

But thanks Bob, that advise will be usefull on Sunday (I hope)
majority of the time, higher pressured tires will keep lower temperatures.. actually.. thats true for all the time; HOWEVER.. if you do get them hot... it will take much longer for them to cool off

think of it as one of the simple law of physics:
less particles = less energy needed to heat up few particles
more particles = more energy needed to heat up lots of particles
however, this works vice versa ; less particles means it takes little time for it to cool off, since it is only a few partcles that are heated

so basically.. like all things, there is a medium that you want to be in, you want them to stay cool.. but you also want them to cool off fast
so when your outside temps get hot, it uses the inside temperature to cool the outside off; a dependant system; when your inside temps get high, its harder to cool off the outside

also keep this in mind; the bigger the difference of the temps, the more drastic reaction will occur, meaning that if the outside temps are in red, and inside is in blue, it will cool off the outside faster, as opposed to having a green outside temp, and a blue inside temp. in basics.. the bigger the difference, the faster something will occur

but this is speaking in physics terms, not actual events
LOL XCN! That's a crazy way of explaining tyre temps...

Bear in mind that the internal temp (in LFS) means very little. It's the surface temps that do the gripping. Having blue (cold) internals makes very little difference to my laptimes or tyre life.
inside temps dont affect grip; but they do affect the temps of the outside tire temps; what im trying to explain, is that with cold inside temps, your outside temps will be keep cool
#14 - Gunn
IRL inside temperatures cause the tyre to change its shape. As the internal temp of the air (or whatever gas you are using) rises, the tyre expands. You really want your optimum tyre pressure to occur once your tyres have heated, not before. Setting your desired temp then heating your tyres up will result in the temp being higher than optimum as the internal pressure builds.
Yes, it's the hot pressure that matters. But you can only set the cold pressure (in the pits). To get the warm pressure is either trial and error, or using expensive telemetry (in real life).
I have a question...
When tires lock IRL are they ever as silent as inLFS? The only way to tell if you tires are locked it seems is by experience and tiny hints from ffb... I didnt want to waste space starting anothee thread and since this is tire related...

if i turn the wheel hard when going 5mph i can get em to squeek, but slamming on breaks at 160mph and i hear nothing?
Are you serious? I can always hear my tyres locking up...
There IS a bug about lock up sounds, but I'm not certain of the reasons. 99.9% of the time I can hear the tyre lockups, but of course, I try not to lock the tyres up.
ya i have had the experience like wise where iv locked up, usin keyboard so it can be easy sometimes. Y sometimes u hear it and sometimes u dont.
Air pressure in tires is a strange and mysterious thing. I read an article written by a guy who was crew for a racing team (sorry, I don't remember exactly who or what team as it's been a couple of years). He explained how you could have a tire at pressure X that would be temperature Y after 10 laps. The tire heating up would increase the pressure of the air inside. However; you could actually make the tire have LESS pressure by adding MORE air. Adding air would decrease the amount of friction and add more air that needs to be heated. This would decrease the amount that the air heated up and therefore decrease the pressure of that air.

It's strange to think that you can add air and decrease pressure at the same time but there are so many factors to deal with (track temp, tire type, starting pressure, contact patch size, etc). I'm not sure how much of this LFS simulates though.

As far as tires squealing goes, I know that LFS has the "one wheel locked" bug, but in general some tires just squeal more than others. The tires on my Mustang (Nitto 555s) squeal quite loudly when spun, even if it's not that hot outside. The tires on my wife's car (Kumhos) only make noise if the asphalt and tires are both plenty hot. Again, I'm not sure if LFS models the sounds differently based on tire compound, tire temp, track temp, etc. I don't think I've ever heard a slick squeal in real life anyway.
Quote from Gabkicks :I have a question...
When tires lock IRL are they ever as silent as inLFS? The only way to tell if you tires are locked it seems is by experience and tiny hints from ffb... I didnt want to waste space starting anothee thread and since this is tire related...

if i turn the wheel hard when going 5mph i can get em to squeek, but slamming on breaks at 160mph and i hear nothing?

Nope in a RL racing car (unless it's for a long period of time) you can't really hear your wheels lockup. It's all feedback through the wheel, thats how u know. As far as LFS goes i always hear my tires locking.
You can watch the temperature status of you tyres by pressing F9. That may help to see how you're driving style or certain actions harms your tyres or not.
yeah, its just i was new to the GTR cars and kept getting frustrated about locking tires. but now i have a "feel" for it
About the lock up sound:

I don't know about locking up the tires, but when I spin my tires (do a burnout or whatever) I rarely hear them. I think it has to do with the compound. I've noticed that harder compound tires make less noise when they slide. I've watched people drift with various tire types and some make barely any sound, while others scream any time they're broken loose. The road surface also has something to do with how much noise they make. I got really gave my car some gas in second gear and the only sound I got was the engine revs shooting up, no tire sqeal. *shrug*

(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG