The online racing simulator
Steer INTO the skid, damnit!
(36 posts, started )
Quote from bbman :@ajp: Surely, without ABS you shouldn't just stamp on the brake, but I was told by my driver's training instructor (who was from the motorsport) that as long as you lock all four wheels, you'll go in the same direction as before (even when spinning) and an untrained driver will stop the car earlier than if he tried interval braking...

A locked up car may have roughly 70% of the stopping power available and may in some cases be better than a learner trying to brake properly but there is one enormous fundamental issue, they have absolutely no control over the car and have committed to just stopping the thing in a straight line with no option of taking other avoiding action if necessary. The only circumstance I can think of where locking the wheels isn't the absolute worst thing to do is on ice and loose road surfaces.
Quote :First of all, 35mph is a bit fast on ice

It wasn't on ice as in sheet ice, rather wet with icy patches but either way 35 was too much imo. "Misjudged the corner" says she, who passed her driving test with 15 minors (16 is a fail). This is her second accident in about three weeks- the other one was hitting a parked car when reversing into a bay.
Quote :I recieved a stamp on my permit and my permanent license came in the mail. Simple.

From what I've gathered, the USA test isn't that easy now but is still easy compared to other countries? The snowy countries' tests seem to be the hardest.
Quote :driving tests are no good when you do it once at 17 and then you get a license that lasts until you die (unless you rack up too many points)

True, but the truth is that a lot of people in the UK with a licence wouldn't pass their test if they had to take it again (and taking it regularly would be impossible because so many people rely on their cars for their jobs etc).
#28 - JTbo
But if you lock wheels on ice car is probably going to flip over. No really, it is very likely to flip over, it is because road is not very smooth at winter time and car starts to spin, then there is usually 0.5m snow both sides of road and this is what will cause to car filp over when your car hits snow while spinning, I have seen lot of these accidents.

But of course you there at south have not much of snow, I think ice is pretty rare too so situation is very different. Also you don't have similar tires either, we have different tires for winter, unlike you as you use same tires all year I believe.
#29 - wien
Quote from ajp71 :The only circumstance I can think of where locking the wheels isn't the absolute worst thing to do is on ice and loose road surfaces.

I'm sorry? Locking up on ice is pretty damn bad, unless you have rally-style studded tires. You won't stop, and you won't have any control either. You will end up in whatever was in front of you when you locked up.
#30 - JTbo
Quote from TiJay :True, but the truth is that a lot of people in the UK with a licence wouldn't pass their test if they had to take it again (and taking it regularly would be impossible because so many people rely on their cars for their jobs etc).

My knownledge of UK drivers is based to tv series called 'Britain's worst driver', it was very funny show However it was really hard to watch as those drivers were complete morons and still got new cars.
Anyway, based to that series, there is pretty much of drivers that should have license at all. Of course I know few drivers from UK that are rather good. He for example is not too bad
-
(XCNuse) DELETED by XCNuse
Quote from XCNuse :i didn't know you lived in fairfax.. huh

Do you know someone from Fairfax or something?
Quote from wien :Jeez. I knew it was easy to get a license in the US, but that sounded a bit too easy. How long ago was this? (If you don't mind me asking )

No, I don't mind you asking, it was quite some time ago. 1988. Also note that in the US, it is not always the same as far as the way laws are in the rest of the countries of the world. Driving laws are done by state, so my state (Pennsylvania) would be different than other states such as California or elsewhere.

The driver's test is quite different now. It use to be done by the Pennsylvania State Police, but now is done by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. It still has nothing to do with actually driving a car, but has to do with rules of the road, ie, recognizing road signs and speed limits.

About piss poor drivers... I was driving home on Friday afternoon from work. We've had a fairly good snowstorm and cold weather this weekend. I have a 20 mile commute home on a perfectly straight road for about 15 miles of that. I passed someone standing out on the side of the road with pieces of his car littered everywhere. I could see in the snow where he skid and he totally wiped out across the on-coming lane bouncing off a guard rail until the end of the rail where he hit a tree. A perfectly straight road. This road couldn't get any straighter. Now, tell me, how do you lose control of your car and spin out on a perfectly straight road? This was a front wheel drive car as well. I just shook my head and laughed as I drove past. I could NOT lose control and wreck my car on this road even if I tried! If I was in the old truck, I wouldn't have even been in 4WD. I just don't understand it sometimes.

Now that winter is finally in full swing here where I'm at, where we usually get dump on with snow starting around the end of November, even with perfectly dry road, these idiots are driving 20-30 mph (speed limit is 55, but normal speed is around 70). You can clearly see the road is dry, without any snow, water, or ice, and like I said, it is a perfectly straight road, so you can see the road condition well ahead of you. Yet, there I am going around everyone capable of driving 55 mph or my normal 70 mph when everyone else is traveling at 30 mph with a death grip on the wheel. It's just lunacy.illepall
#33 - JTbo
I have seen how someone flipped her FWD car on icy straight road without touching snow at side of road, just I could not understand how that could happen, car just suddenly got sideways and rolled over, there was nothing special on road either. Invisible monster or really bad driver? Hard to pick

Typically they loose control and front of car rams to snow that is side of road, because of inertia rear then comes over and because car slows really well on snow it is easily rolling over.

I think it is better they drive 20-30mph than if they would drive 50, lost control and end up your lane, I think there is enough bad drivers that they can loose control on dry road, they panic that there is ice and try to avoid that with violent steering or something.

Often people get 'on switch' for brains at birth, but I'm pretty sure some did not got it or then they got malfunctioning switch that goes off when they sit into car.
Quote from wien :I'm sorry? Locking up on ice is pretty damn bad, unless you have rally-style studded tires. You won't stop, and you won't have any control either. You will end up in whatever was in front of you when you locked up.

On a totally frozen smooth icy road that may be the case but there has been a lot of discussion before about locking up being better than ABS on slushy ice.
#35 - JTbo
Quote from ajp71 :On a totally frozen smooth icy road that may be the case but there has been a lot of discussion before about locking up being better than ABS on slushy ice.

Well if you don't have studs ABS systems are not capable of braking on ice properly, without ABS and without locking wheels you will do better than with ABS and with locking wheels you might do better that without locking wheels, but then again more likely you will end up to accident as there is no control when wheels are locked and car will start to spin and when it starts to spin on ice it will spin, specially without studs it is game over situation.

Seem to be that page that I was about to link here is down, there would been nice graphs about this issue.

From memory it was around 400 meters from 80kph with ABS and something over 200 meters without ABS, can't remember precise numbers though.
Anyway, I prefer not to spin around for 200 meters with wheels locked, I prefer to control my own braking and keep car under control.
#36 - wien
Quote from ajp71 :On a totally frozen smooth icy road that may be the case but there has been a lot of discussion before about locking up being better than ABS on slushy ice.

Ah. That may be, given sufficient amounts of slush. But, locking up on the polished ice we always get coming up to intersections this time of year, is most certainly not an efficient way of stopping one's vehicle. That's what I thought you meant.

Steer INTO the skid, damnit!
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG