The online racing simulator
LFS Magazine?
(191 posts, started )
Quote from Bawbag :Been reading this thread since all this hand bag swinging started and the only thing I find revolting is that you judge a whole community because of an argument you had with a very minute portion of the LFS community.

On the note of your articles, i'm glad we wont be seeing any from you, as I said above you have judged a whole community on the basis of a few people you don't like. So (Unless your only being this way about LFS in general) you must judge games in the same way too huh? For example, oh I don't like the intro to rFactor, this game is sh*t.

And briefly to lower myself to you Bob, you can stick your perfection up your ASS as it's got more chance of survival in there than in your magazine.

Can you hear that Bawbag? Can you? That is the sound of everyone slapping their foreheads with their hands and saying 'D'OH!'

Ever so helpful.

To matey with the Mag thing going on. Well done. At least you ain't lost the plot. Keep it up. You just never know.
I can see some validity in every sim out there. I don't race ISI based sims often - mostly cos I haven't got round to buying them, I just stick to nkpro mostly and LFS.

But the best sim racer the universe has ever seen races ISI sims, more than any other sim at the moment I would wager. So they can't be all bad.
#178 - col
First of all, My post wasn't directed only at you Tristan - sorry if it seamed that way - I just used part of your post as an example.

Quote from tristancliffe :...
The second point is the one about untamed praise. Do you see my saying LFS is perfect? No, although I often say it's likely to get better (thus implying it NEEDS to get better). But some (though not ALL) ASS articles are so complimentary about a product to be a bit of a joke, and it was this I was referring to.

You have misunderstood my post - I'm not defending non-critical reviews and I'm not saying that you shouldn't criticise them. The problem is the way you (and you're no where near the worst) do it. It is possible to express dislike or disinterest in somthing without being rude or sarcastic! You seem to have good enough grasp of english that you don't have much of an excuse ?

Quote :

If I don't like, say, GTR2 that doesn't make me a bad person, just like someone who likes it isn't a bad person. They can say they like it, and I can say I despise it. I don't troll on the GTR2 forums saying how rubbish it is, and I generally keep my thoughts to myself on this here forum too.

Heh, a case in point - why, instead of saying you don't like it and explaining why in a level headed way, would you feel the urge to say you despise it... probably closely followed by exaggerated negativity and sarcasm ?
Come to think of it why would anyone 'despise' a sim ?
Quote :

And I write all of this, yet people still want unbiased articles on the sim racing scene? Yeah, right.

Hmm, your main criticism of ASS articles seems to be that none of them are critical enough - if thats the case that would make them reasonably unbiased
Quote from dontsimon :But the best sim racer the universe has ever seen races ISI sims,

Actually I don't even own rFactor. I nearly bought it the other day, but then I remembered what the demo was like.
Quote from George Kuyumji :The disagreement is that with FSX or FS9 you can have a decent Simulator, even with a X-Plane level of quality. You need Payware Planes and other Add-Ons to raise the Game into a serious Simulation. But it is very possible with all those Quality Plane Products for MSFS.

Sounds like rFactor to me, the demo or even the base full product is so far behind what has been done with some of the mods out there.

Additionally, it is quite temperamental when it comes to controller setup and quite often all manner of config file editing needs to take place.

In short, it can be a pain in the arse to get it working at it's best, which, added to online server mismatches due to this, that or the other, is the main thing that probably keeps people away from it!

LFS is more self contained, but personally I think it contains a fair amount of depth and as such there is some time and patience involved in making sure everything is setup the way you want it.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the topic, so ignore me.
Although I like the idea of this thread being alive to potentially bump any magazine I do put forward, I can't help but feel we're not only off-topic, but across the grass and crashing into someone's garden a mile or two down the road.

There are already a zillion "ZOMG RF t3h sux" threads out there, do we really need another?

Some people like one product, some like another. Some like both. Some like neither. Live with it.
Quote from shrapnel :Sounds like rFactor to me, the demo or even the base full product is so far behind what has been done with some of the mods out there.

No, Flight Simulator Add Ons are totally different then what we get in Racing Games like rFactor. Flight Simulator Add Ons cost far more than the base Flight Sim Product and due to there quality are used in Professionell Training. Mods for rFactor are just rehashes of the poor ISI Engine. Dont try to compare Racing Game Add-Ons with Flight Sim Payware Add-ons, there is such a big Gap between them that if you find out more about it you will be disapointed how far the Flight Sim Community has moved forward in the last years compared to the Racing Genre.

Quote from Dajmin :
There are already a zillion "ZOMG RF t3h sux" threads out there, do we really need another?

Some people like one product, some like another. Some like both. Some like neither. Live with it.

Ah get over it, somebody mentioned two Programs in the same sentence, if you cant handle that skip those Posts
:feedtroll :doh: :talktohan
Quote from Viper93 ::feedtroll :doh: :talktohan

lol that directed at me? And your point is?
Quote from dontsimon :But the best sim racer the universe has ever seen races ISI sims, more than any other sim at the moment I would wager. So they can't be all bad.

That doesn't mean those sims are good, it just means HE is good in pushing the limits of mentioned sims, nothing more...
Quote from col :If they truly believe (like I do) that LFS is head and shoulders above the rest, then they should be confident and relaxed about others folks having slightly different opinions... so maybe they're not so sure ?!

Quote from col :Heh, a case in point - why, instead of saying you don't like it and explaining why in a level headed way, would you feel the urge to say you despise it... probably closely followed by exaggerated negativity and sarcasm ?
Come to think of it why would anyone 'despise' a sim ?

The first quote is a backwards argument. If you really believe in something you should never vocalize it? If someone comes to me and says "Guess what? The sky is yellow!" I should just accept their view as "their personal view" and forget about it? Personally, if I wasn't sure... then that's when I would keep my mouth shut.... Not the other way around

All this bleeding heart leftwing liberal relativism is becomming extremely annoying and all it does is promote mediocrity and some people actually care about excellence. When something is clearly, definitively, absolutely and objectively incorrect (such as the shape of a slip curve for example) there is no productivity whatsoever in trying to promote it as something it's not.

As someone who has a passion for cars, it's terribly frustrating to see something being marketed as "The Ultimate Driving Simulator", when it's very very clearly NOT what it makes itself out to be. What about the "mob mentality" that reads that tagline and then one million people purchase it under the presumption that it is in fact the pinnacle of physical simulation and then argue incessantly that "it is the best because it says it's the best", all the while THAT mob cannot seem to discern any (dreadfully blantant) problems in said sim. It's simply called passion, which to those who don't have it for anything simply looks fanatical. You have just as much right to ignore Tristan's opinion if you don't think it's valid as he does to post it in whatever fashion he sees fit (well, within the forum rules obviously).
Quote from George Kuyumji :The disagreement is that with FSX or FS9 you can have a decent Simulator, even with a X-Plane level of quality. You need Payware Planes and other Add-Ons to raise the Game into a serious Simulation. But it is very possible with all those Quality Plane Products for MSFS.

same for rfactor which isnt all that bad with proper tyre physics ... doesnt diasgree with what tristan said that both of them are rubbish right out of the box
#188 - col
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :The first quote is a backwards argument. If you really believe in something you should never vocalize it? If someone comes to me and says "Guess what? The sky is yellow!" I should just accept their view as "their personal view" and forget about it? Personally, if I wasn't sure... then that's when I would keep my mouth shut.... Not the other way around

First of all, it wasn't an argument, it was a suggestion followed by a related observation. Secondly, please don't try putting words in my mouth - it's pretty obvious what I meant... but just in case you really didn't understand, and were really not trying to twist my words in order to more easily attack me:
I said that folks should be confident and relaxed about others with different opinions - implying that they SHOULD express their own opinions but in a relaxed and confident way rather than an extreme, sarcastic and/or agressive manner (which seems to be more and more common around here).
Quote :

All this bleeding heart leftwing liberal relativism is becomming extremely annoying and all it does is promote mediocrity and some people actually care about excellence.

I'm not sure how you can assume to know my political or philosophical beliefs from that post ? For what it's worth nothing I have said supports the promotion of mediocrity, and I do care about excellence... that why I got involved here, I believe LFS has the potential for excellence and that there are a number of people around here with attitude problems who are a threat to it's success
Quote :
When something is clearly, definitively, absolutely and objectively incorrect (such as the shape of a slip curve for example) there is no productivity whatsoever in trying to promote it as something it's not.

Yes, so what relevant point are you trying to make? maybe you should go back and re-read my posts in this thread...
Quote :

As someone who has a passion for cars, it's terribly frustrating to see something being marketed as "The Ultimate Driving Simulator", when it's very very clearly NOT what it makes itself out to be. What about the "mob mentality" that reads that tagline and then one million people purchase it under the presumption that it is in fact the pinnacle of physical simulation and then argue incessantly that "it is the best because it says it's the best", all the while THAT mob cannot seem to discern any (dreadfully blantant) problems in said sim. It's simply called passion, which to those who don't have it for anything simply looks fanatical. You have just as much right to ignore Tristan's opinion if you don't think it's valid as he does to post it in whatever fashion he sees fit (well, within the forum rules obviously).

I can't argue with any of this...
Tristan and anyone else can indeed post whatever they like within the forum rules. If they like they can attack every new visitor, potential licence purchaser, or potential influential supporter... that is their right. What I'm saying is that if they do chose to attack people in this manner, it reflects badly on the LFS community, and by association on the LFS brand.
Col, I should've attempted to make my post much less direct at you specifically, and taking two quotes driectly from you didn't help - I actually didn't even look at who the second one was from TBH... Save for the first few lines, most of what I said wasn't meant to be soley directed at you but rather a particular mentality that those particular quotes propagate (not(necessarily)withstanding the context of your previous posts).
Quote from bbman :That doesn't mean those sims are good, it just means HE is good in pushing the limits of mentioned sims, nothing more...

Quite true. As I say, I don't defend or promote any sim, I race to enjoy myself.

And the gentleman in question is generally better than most (possibly all?) at pushing the limits in any sim.

LFS Magazine?
(191 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG