The online racing simulator
Skins
(48 posts, started )

Those of you that understand that you dont need skins bigger than 512,i applaude you.

THose of you that understand that your skins are stored in 1024 and available for you to redownload, double pat on the back, youve been paying attention.

THose of you who don't get the fact that the upload bandwidth FROM LFS world costs the devs money and would cost more with 1024 ingame downloads.... you're retarded. That cost would get passed along to us (more likely new users buying new liscences) making the sim less accessible.

If i had the option i might download even lower res skins so i dont have to clean out the skins x directory as often, and spend less time downloading when i get on a server. As long as i can tell the difference between liveries I am a happy man.
#27 - Davo
Way to bring your point across faggot.
now now, can we all discuss these things without resorting to personal insults?
-
(Jakg) DELETED by Jakg
#29 - Jakg
+1 for me, as i run at 4xAA, 16xAF, lots of custom textures, yet i still have lower quality skins, although tbh i only really notice it when spectatating
#30 - Davo
Quote from al heeley :now now, can we all discuss these things without resorting to personal insults?

He started it
-1 to Davo for being a 6 year old
Now go straight to bed without your milk.
I agree with everyone whos said that 512x512 is enough. When your actually racing how much attention do you put to looking at someone else's skin ? Personally i dont put much - Enough to recognise the team (if i know it) or enough so that i recognise the car if i see it again in the next race. But more often than not i just look at the names rather than skins while racing. Also 4x the bandwidth just doesnt worth it.
BUT taking screenshots or making a movie the 512 limit can be noticeable, if so then watch the reply and contact the drivers asking for a higher res version.
As for renders - obviously 2048 skins - but it has nothing to do with the skins you download.
Davo must have fallen into the 3rd category to be so offended...
Quote from al heeley :2048 is great for designing skins accurately but its crazy to have such hi res skins in a race game, you just don't need that level of resolution.

I keep my skins at 2048 in game :P I use a custom cam, and I can see my own skin up close because of it so I want me crisp details I toil for hours on. But, for online downloaded skins, 512 is just fine indeed.

Quote from Davo :Way to bring your point across faggot.

That was pretty uncalled for...
Maybe there could be an option to download 1024 versions of skins from LFSW ie. you go to LFSW and type the name of the skin you want and hey presto you can download it. Would allow 1024s to be easily downloaded for replays/screenshots but not enough people would bother to make it a big bandwidth issue.
#36 - Davo
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :Davo must have fallen into the 3rd category to be so offended...

Well don't go calling people retards for wanting higher res skins.

Quote from MAGGOT :

That was pretty uncalled for...

So was the retard comment.
Quote from ajp71 :Maybe there could be an option to download 1024 versions of skins from LFSW ie. you go to LFSW and type the name of the skin you want and hey presto you can download it. Would allow 1024s to be easily downloaded for replays/screenshots but not enough people would bother to make it a big bandwidth issue.

It would also allow easily ripping that skin off...
Quote from bbman :It would also allow easily ripping that skin off...

Skin ripping isn't half the issue it's made out to be, there's a chance some twat will do it the minute you upload a skin to LFSW or post it on a forum anyway and TBH I couldn't care if someone raced with one of my private skins anyway. Posting skins as your own is a different issue but those kind of posts/users tend to disappear pretty quickly anyway.
Well, How about an option to keep skins "private".

For example, when you upload, you can choose to keep the skin private, so, when other people download your skin in LFS, they download an encrypted File, that LFS can still read as a .jpeg file, but when you go into the Skins_x folder, They appear corrupt
Quote from djgizmo68 :Well, How about an option to keep skins "private".

For example, when you upload, you can choose to keep the skin private, so, when other people download your skin in LFS, they download an encrypted File, that LFS can still read as a .jpeg file, but when you go into the Skins_x folder, They appear corrupt

What about purging private skins_x files when LFS is exited?
Well, you just window LFS, Open Skins_x, Browse and get the skins you need, then exit LFS.
Quote from djgizmo68 :For example, when you upload, you can choose to keep the skin private, so, when other people download your skin in LFS, they download an encrypted File, that LFS can still read as a .jpeg file, but when you go into the Skins_x folder, They appear corrupt

One of the nice things about LFS is that skins are straight forward jpegs, I know no other sim that uses file formats that can be so easily edited from just about any package. Ripping will happen, it's a fact of life, if you really can't stand the chance of something being nicked then the only thing you can do is not allow anyone else to have them

Quote from duke_toaster :What about purging private skins_x files when LFS is exited?

What a complete waste of bandwidth illepall
I have to be honoust and have to say that I dont give a shit about it that the devs would pay extra money. If there is a possibily for them to make it and make the game better why not? Evereything costs money in life so... and im sure they already made enough money to get suck system implented.
I suppose the point is (before the mob flame you for your honesty!) it generally wouldn't make the game any better.
#45 - joen
Quote from Frost_More :I have to be honoust and have to say that I dont give a shit about it that the devs would pay extra money. If there is a possibily for them to make it and make the game better why not? Evereything costs money in life so... and im sure they already made enough money to get suck system implented.

Using higher resolution skins won't make the game better.
So, if the devs would say from now on you've got to pay a monthly fee to make use of LFS World and the automatic skin downloading system or even just playing online, would you say oh that's fine, everything in life costs money?
And on what are you basing your claim they already make enough money? Clearly they're not aiming to just cover their costs, they want to make a living out of this too.
You act like their only goal should be to make you happy no matter what it costs.
Really, think before you speak because that is the most stupid thing I read here today. And that's me just being honest.
Quote from Frost_More :I have to be honoust and have to say that I dont give a shit about it that the devs would pay extra money. If there is a possibily for them to make it and make the game better why not? Evereything costs money in life so... and im sure they already made enough money to get suck system implented.

Yes, everything in life costs money; so you can pay for the bandwidth costs of larger skins.

I have to say, that was an extremely ignorant post...
Quote from joen :Really, think before you speak because that is the most stupid thing I read here today. And that's me just being honest.

Indeed.
The Devs already give us a great game for a great price. i personally would mind them charging is a small fee for 1024x1024 skins, but i can hardly tell the difference, unless the skin is really sucky.

Skins
(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG