The online racing simulator
For everyone the same Setup !
(69 posts, started )
to Gimpster & Mr Rogers : I really hope I can truely find the time one day to take on board all this great game (and great community) has to offer, but unfortunatley R/L (ok, and Tac Op's ) doesn't allow this.

& i can't be the only one who just wants to drive!!! lololol

all i am suggesting is that by making "default set" servers, you would be infact creating a sort of "instant Arcade Mode" for LFS, something that I personally feel lacking and much needed (forever-noob, lol). I really do wonder how many people left LFS because they couldn't keep up with the tweaking n stuff. with such a thing i should think many would still be playing LFS and possibly looking forward to paying for S3 as well!!

So whats in it for u guys?....

you'd get your servers back, clean racing 24/7 (theres a dream 4 ya's LOL)

& lets face it, none of your team mates are going to go backwards and say "i'm going back to playing default sets, see ya guy's........" :hihi: :grouphug:

so please not think of it as a community split but a community created

So the default set is bad, sure but it would have to be bad to encourage others to play with the tuning, so for a starting car there not a bad choice at all (and i love 'em, lol). As we all have the default sets already, would i be right in thinking that the server wouldn't have to send us anything?

I wonder just how many people would dig out there wheels, dust off there joysticks, and d/load LFS again to try out this new Arcade Mode !!!!

QD
I have no problems with the "Option" for servers to enforce fixed setup (Stock) racing if they choose to.
Default set server, all noobs, all equally matched, all equally paced, all full pelt into blackwood turn 1.......

....thats gotta be worth spectating :smileyrai
I'm not knocking "same set" racing at all. I just think the topic here is taking it a different way in that folks seem to think that it will help out new guys vs. the faster veterans. It will not. The new guys will still be new and still need to learn how to drive the cars and learn every inch of the track to be competitive.

What "same set" does is make racing interesting in a closed environment between the veterans. It puts driver against driver, if you already understand the cars in LFS. A new guy still doesn't have a hope of keeping up. Sets are a very small part of putting out fast laps. A fast veteran will adapt to the set and still come close to his normal times.

About new people and folks who can't be bothered to learn how to setup the car, all you have to do is ask and ask in a polite manner. You can download WR sets from Inferno or ask while in the servers. The only thing you don't want to do is, 1 - don't ask while someone is racing, and 2 - ask politely. Coming into the server and saying "Send me set!" or something equivelent will not get you a set. Coming in and watching a while, maybe trying out a few laps and waiting until the end of the race, then saying "NightHawk (my on server name): Mind if I try out your set please?" That will surely get you not only a set, but I would also jump to the pits to fix a few things before sending it to you (I use a ridiculous amount of brake force).

All of my sets pretty much have come from a year ago when I was in that situation of asking or downloading other's sets. Since then, I've learned some tweaking and I've modified nearly everything about them to suit how I want it to perform (especially since they are all from the old physics). I still occasionally ask for a set now and then just to mix it up a bit if I'm stuck at a particular PB for a long time. Aston National for example, I was using a set I probably got around this time 2005, heavily tweaked since. But I was stuck at a time, so I asked someone for a set and I'm using that now.
I know I am a rookie here. But this seems quite simple.

IMHO... You cannot implement FORCED SETUPS unless you implement FORCED CONTROLLERS.

For example. You must own a Logitech MOMO. Everyone must have that wheel and peddal combo. No mice, no keyboards, no alternate brands of wheels.

Then once everyone is on the same controller you can go to same set racing.

It's only logical.

Some sets are better for certain controllers.

At least that is the way I have come to understand it.

Oh and Merry Christmas everyone.

C.
I see this as a great tool for league admins to have control over setups used.If the league wants Also having this optional server setting would make it possible to organize 100% stock car leagues where you can make small changes to the setup, steering and brakes.

In real life the "setup modifications" are limited to avoid the costs going too high. In LFS we don't need to worry about this. But on the other hand we have endless setup options totally defeating the idea of stock cars.

Why not use the race_s setups as "forced" setups. I have basically nothing against for server admins choosing some random (or specifically chosen) setups to be used. Imho, forced setups could just emphasize the differences between cars and the special characteristics of individual cars. Driving a car is always adjusting your inputs to suit for the desired output. If the car is oversteery (FZ50) or nervous (RAC) you need to adjust your inputs for the car. With forced setups you just need to adjust your inputs a bit further. If the setup is oversteery you need to use it to your adventage or learn to live with it. Of course part of the driver's skill is to make the setup suit your driving style but this eventually comes back to adjusting your driving style. There are limits to how much you can change the car's handling with just setup modifications. Eventually it comes down to drivings skills, to learn to drive the car

As I said, I see it as a great tool. Not to level the competition or to slown down the fast people but to give the possibility and tool for people who want to use fixed setups.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that by using forced setups you are indeed using forced controllers to some degree. However, can you expect that you can always have access to everywhere just because others can? You controller is also a choise. By using just keyboard and mouse you are taking a risk that you may not be able to race on some servers. By not using (or having) a H-pattern shifter you are taking a risk that you are not able to race on some servers. These servers are very rare so you are not actually missing something you couldn't live without. I understand that I might have no access to HC servers where you need a shifter and clutch pedals, so I go to another server. Maybe the HC server is empty most of the time anyway? Still, it is not a problem for me, but why it is problem for someone else with similar controls? LFS servers are not just open houses where you just go have fun. Most have some basic requirements, others go even further. By adding requirements they are also blocking people out. With this in mind I see no harm done. As long as it is understood that great racing does not come from these rules. These rules can, however, give some extra pleasure to those who want it
Quote from Hyperactive :

As I said, I see it as a great tool. Not to level the competition or to slown down the fast people but to give the possibility and tool for people who want to use fixed setups.

can we consider it "on the to-do list" then ???? woohooo

i'm dying to run a default set (actually, race_s set) server, it'll be my only chance of ever winning a race online lololol i wish....

QD, racing with a race_s set near u (and loosing gracefully, lmao)

ps.
i really like Patch V btw, with the extra screeching sound i'm finding i can catch the car more easily now, i'm no longer wishing i could afford force feedback at every other bend.... fantastic work guys
+1 for this. It won't affect anyone adversely. If you don't want to race in a Race_S setup only server you don't have to. But it would make a lot of paying customers very happy if this was somehow made a reality.

It would be lovely to see some servers out there running this option, and there would be plenty of regular "tweaked setup" servers as well. It can do no harm whatsoever, and can only strenghten the appeal of this game to newcomers and maybe even long time racers fancying something different...

it would have helped me so much better to learn "racecraft" when I first got lfs if everyone had the same setup. I didn't discover setupfield for a long time, and was constantly being left behind and hit because I was braking earlier than ppl were used to due to using the standard setups. Also off the line I was causing problems to ppl because of poor gearing compared to the tweaked setups. And in terms of racecraft I was trying to overtake in strange places because my standard setup was wildly different to mostly everyone elses (using tweaked setups).

It would be great to have this as an option for people who want it. People who don't want it are not affected in the slightest by it.

Thanks in advance for this great feature!

Ree44u.
#59 - JJ72
I don't understand why some of you go against it....

now it must be a server side option, which if say a certain league has a lock on differential setting and gear ratio, simulating a situation where you have some customization on suspension and everything but just not the drive shaft, that would be a good thing when we try to produce something like a stock league?

it's not about disabling all setup options at one go...of course that could be impossible for things such as steering angle..common sense ain't it?

It's not at all pointless, I am formulating a induction league for new comers, basically it's a series which you start with very limited setup options, but after each round more options opens up. That helps new drivers to understand what each setup option does instead of getting all confused with so many setup options, then gradually they will be introduces to the more difficult aspect of setting up a car.
#60 - JJ72
Quote from DFS_MadFred :I don't think this makes for a fair chance for every driver at all, it is indeed all about which setup suits which driving style.

But you can have a setup that is relatively neutral and people can actually control the way the car tend to behave with their input, it's all about drivability.
Funny, i was hoping for an option like this, it would save me a great deal of trouble in a league I'm starting to organize. Instead of lengthy tech inspections and disqualifications after the race i could just flip a switch.

evryone has an other style, i edit mostly the setups i get from team members before i can race whith them :P so no this is not a good idea
1+ for limed setups,
that means that you only can shance tyres or steering of gearbox.
the server admin need to set what u can chance.

reintjan
Quote from LightStar :-1

evryone has an other style, i edit mostly the setups i get from team members before i can race whith them :P so no this is not a good idea

It's an option for interesting racing, nothing more. If you want to edit the setup, then you race on a server that does not run this option. If you and your teammates want to race "same setup" racing, then you set the option and race with the same setup. If you and your team elect to race with your own sets, or tweaked sets that you get from others, then you don't enable the option.
#65 - JJ72
I think the title is misleading:

It should say "options for standardized setup"
+1

would be great for spontaneous race events or for beginner-leagues.
never
#68 - JTbo
+1

There is race series where you are not allowed to change much else that tire pressure so that would be just nice option.

As an option it is also nothing away from those who don't like it, just stay away from such league, it won't be used much in other servers than in leagues anyway.
The next LFS UK meet will be using shared setups, we'll see how we all get on there.

For everyone the same Setup !
(69 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG