The online racing simulator
Master Server Moved [in January]
(115 posts, closed, started )
Yes I will ask 2 questions, michs3 :

- Are you using version V?
- Have you ever changed the "Port 80" setting in cfg.txt?

Port 80 does not work any more. That line must say : Port 80 0
Why did that option get removed/disallowed?
Because it's now on a webserver (this forum's server in fact) and port 80 is the http port.

The master can now accept port 8080 instead. But LFS can't be made to access that until we release a patch. It was a wrong decision made by me at some point. Instead of the option being "Port 80" 1 or 0 it should have been "Master Port" and any port could be entered. That's how it will be in future so we could change the allowed ports if a better one is found.
Quote from Scawen :Yes I will ask 2 questions, michs3 :

- Are you using version V?
- Have you ever changed the "Port 80" setting in cfg.txt?

Port 80 does not work any more. That line must say : Port 80 0

a big thanks
Port 80 1 was the problem
after change in Port 80 0 it runs verry fine.
Quote from Scawen :Old versions still work now, because the old master is still running for a few days. But after the weekend I will shut it down and old versions will not work any more.

Could you please tell, when exactly are you pulling the plug from the old Master? Sunday evening or Monday morning or .... I'm trying to organize some races, so that info would help me a lot. Thank you.
I miss the old master server,
pings on the list of games
have been rediculously high for the past few days now.

it seemed to be fine before, servers ranged from 50-70ms
now its more like 190-5000ms!

unplayable!

i know a few overs who have been having the same prob.
any ideas?

The demo servers seem to be fine though!??
Quote from Rhymez :I miss the old master server,
pings on the list of games
have been rediculously high for the past few days now.

it seemed to be fine before, servers ranged from 50-70ms
now its more like 190-5000ms!

unplayable!

i know a few overs who have been having the same prob.
any ideas?

The demo servers seem to be fine though!??

pings are measured between you and the servers ... the master server is only there to relay the ips of the servers to you so you can ping them

in other words its you not the master server that is slow
Thats the thing though, y is it only LFS that is slow?
Plus it never used to be until now.

All other online games are perfect.

Its like using 56k again.
Surely there's a router thing, or some sort of setting i could change
to help this?
#84 - arco
Strange, I see the same thing. I used to have around 60ms ping to our team servers, now it's around 360ms.
Quote from Renku :Could you please tell, when exactly are you pulling the plug from the old Master? Sunday evening or Monday morning or .... I'm trying to organize some races, so that info would help me a lot. Thank you.

I don't know. Maybe it will run for another week or so. At the moment it is giving a message for people to upgrade, so that's quite useful. But it's a very expensive connection that I don't need any more - a "Home" connection would be much cheaper, a bit faster than a "Business" connection and I can probably have cable TV as well. But I have not yet phoned up to change the connection. That means I expect to run it for about another week or so, but I really don't know how long it will run for. It will be nice when I don't need to run a computer in my house 24 hours a day.
#86 - wabz
Quote from Scawen :Ian : I think colour codes are correctly ignored. But codepage changes are not ignored. If you can find a reproducable case where one seems wrong, I'd like to know about it.

(It seems the problem is in the checking of the length of the server name entry field including/not including colour/codepage changes)

Also, if the server admin puts extraneous codepage changes in, then it's impossible to type it in, because you don't know where those unnecessary changes are. Maybe the master server should remove extraneous changes in all cases. (erm.. maybe this is the case now, but I know a few months back it wasn't)

I think it's also not possible to join a server starting with a "/" using the /join switch when starting LFS. Along with the suggestions in this thread, maybe it would be an idea to allow joining by specifying IP/port - could be useful for external apps, as well as removing all ambiguities.

Ian: "Just another"???
Quote from Scawen :Ian : I think colour codes are correctly ignored. But codepage changes are not ignored. If you can find a reproducable case where one seems wrong, I'd like to know about it.

Have this problem quite some time already but was too lazy to report... Usually last server I connected to is "[dSRC] Battle Grounds #X", where X is number 1-5. Now if I go to "connect to specific server", I can't just replace that number to connect to some other of our servers, have to delete all name with color codes & type it all again (works without color codes).
Oh and about older versions... Does new master not support those at all any more or just older versions don't know where to connect? In later case master IP could be easily changed in lfs.exe. Also some very old versions have possibility to configure Master IP right in game.
Quote from Ian.H :Hmm, possibly

I did notice a weird thing with that too (but wasn't going to post it in this thread as it's unrelated but as you're here........ )

My last remembered host was [dSRC] Battle Grounds #4 and I wanted to join #3.. deleted the '4' but couldn't type '3'.. it just beeped (too many chars?). Our hostnames use colour codes in the name and now you mention about name differences, are colour codes taken into consideration? To type '3' in, I had to also delete the '#' char which then enabled me to use '#3' but the colour coding had gone in my text entry for those 2 chars. I'm assuming now this was the problem.

If so, would it be possible in a future patch to ignore the ^ char for colours so that entering either with colour codes or just straight text would lookup the same server name? IIRC, colour codes _had_ to be specified when I wrote the old PHP lib to parse LFSW data, so guessing now that LFS itself works on a similar principle and may not be able to be changed easily, but AFAIK, '^1foobar' and 'foobar' as hostnames can't co-exist as effectively they're the same name so would be great of colour escape chars could be ignored when manually entering a hostname.

Regards,

Ian

I have noticed that alot when changing the number. It is a little annoying, but I always get it to work by adding the colour function.

e.g. I delete the #4 then hold Ctrl to re-enter the correct colour then just type in #3.

I guess you had figured that out, but it would be nice if the host name wasn't sensitive to colour.

edit: hmm, dSRC spam. I guess we all came across this problem
My pings are crazy ingame now too..

Before the demo servers (Before I had bought the game) had pings of 40-100 ms.. Now that I've payed for the game, I am quite disapointed to see that the lowest ping on a S2 server is 180ms, going up all the way to 300...

Perhaps there is an option I can change or some ports I can forward to fix this issue?
Quote from mrbogeyman :e.g. I delete the #4 then hold Ctrl to re-enter the correct colour then just type in #3.

Hmm your "workaround" seems better!
Quote from Tomtheman70 :My pings are crazy ingame now too..

Before the demo servers (Before I had bought the game) had pings of 40-100 ms.. Now that I've payed for the game, I am quite disapointed to see that the lowest ping on a S2 server is 180ms, going up all the way to 300...

Perhaps there is an option I can change or some ports I can forward to fix this issue?

Your problem is likely not due to any sort of network issue at all. There are not a lot of us in the US who play LFS and therefore, there are not very many servers nearby. Most of the time I end up racing on Canadian or even British servers with pings around 180-200. The only other real option is to host your own server. If you go back and look at the demo servers again I'm sure you'll find at least a few with lower pings because there are more demo servers in our area than there are S2 servers.
are you looking at the ping rate on the connection screen windowed or full screen??
my system shows the ping rate goes from 54 in full screen to 250 in windowed view
Quote from mrbogeyman :e.g. I delete the #4 then hold Ctrl to re-enter the correct colour then just type in #3.

I guess you had figured that out, but it would be nice if the host name wasn't sensitive to colour.

Sorry to bump this older thread, but it completely slipped my mind about retesting due to other things

I guess being away from LFS for so long had taken its toll as I don't remember the ctrl key producing the small row of selectable colours in the last version I tried (patch R or S IIRC) and had no idea it existed until reading B's reply here.

Anyway, just to update, as Mr B mentions here, deleting the chars and then using the ctrl+colour_select method works a treat and I'm able to pick and choose servers as expected

Regards,

Ian
#95 - axus
I don't get it. Why are you still playing S1 when S2 has better physics, graphics, sounds, menus, more capabilities and basically everything is better?
I though there would be notification: "Old Master Server closed, LFS 0.3H dead", but I was wrong. Time to close this thread too?
SinclairHUN - is the old invisible-bump blackwood and the more simplistic and considerably inferior tyre physics really that attractive? You can't expect the devs to support a version of the game that was released well over 3 years ago.
#98 - axus
Quote from SinclairHUN :Yes. I loved into this game, and S2 is not my "type". i dont like it. and as i said that too, there are computers which not fast enough to run S2... (even if that is hard to imagine...)

I think a "little" server is a little thing to do to give many people "happiness", to play S1. i think 3years are not so long :S
but this is the developers choice. i am just asking this.
maybe a little change in lfs.exe could make it right, but this is (was) my question, if there is anything...

S2, set up correctly, will run faster than S1 - the graphics engine is more optimised. S2 is not your type? It's the same thing, only 300 times better. Set S2 up correctly and give it a proper go, you'll probably like it a lot better than S1.
it's simple, outdated version is not supported anymore. You even get updates for no money for your old version. That's best thing, you can expect from a software company. Besides blizzard, there arent many that keep supporting their software that long, but even with StarCraft 1.01 you wont be really able to play anymore online, you have to upgrade, even if you might love the balancing better the old way, you have to upgrade.

What you experience is the same for everyone with old versions, where upgrades exist: They arent supported anymore, get used to it.
You mention LAN? Why not just make a VPN with Hamachi if you want to race S1 that badly? (Research hamachi yourself, I don't have the time to write a page to help you out here.)
This thread is closed

Master Server Moved [in January]
(115 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG