The online racing simulator
Again Black Screen in Patch V
(23 posts, started )
Hi, I´m on the laptop of my parents at this time and got a new TFT oh christmas so I plugged it into the laptop.
Now I sized the output about both screens and had LFS windows, so no maximized in this buggy behaviour.
If I now switch it to the new tft and back it will be black (maybe I have to minimize the window in this procedure, didn´t test it again)
I read a similar bug report in the test patches around ~U20 where the bug was heavier in more situations.

I hope it now can really be fixed.
On the other hand its not really bad for me because I only tested the TFT.
I don't know about the bug, but you can choose which monitor LFS uses by opening card_cfg.txt with an editor an editing the number behind 'Adapter Select'.
#3 - ORION
The blackscreen bug happened only rarely, and is fixed for everyone now, atleast no reports since the test patch that finally fixed the bug.

Sp if your screen turns black all the time, I guess the resolution isnt supported, or the dual monitor thingie isnt setup correctly. If the bug doesnt happen with only one screen (only laptop built-in tft), its not an LFS bug.
Quote from ORION :The blackscreen bug happened only rarely, and is fixed for everyone now, atleast no reports since the test patch that finally fixed the bug.

happens for me ... never happend prior to patch v iirc

78gtx 91.47
xp sp2
Quote from ORION :The blackscreen bug happened only rarely, and is fixed for everyone now, atleast no reports since the test patch that finally fixed the bug.

Sp if your screen turns black all the time, I guess the resolution isnt supported, or the dual monitor thingie isnt setup correctly. If the bug doesnt happen with only one screen (only laptop built-in tft), its not an LFS bug.

But like you read it happened to me.
What you wrote makes no sence, if LFS gets a black screen surely its a LFS bug illepall
So please don´t write things like LFS is bugfree or I´m too stupid to setup my system.
So Scawen can easily read it and can fix this or decides that it isn´t important enough to give effort

EDIT: To make it clear: LFS gots a black window on laptops screen!
#6 - Renku

It happened to me in U30 too, just lately. Haven't used V much, so can't tell more.
Yep, its back in Patch V, I get it also.
#8 - Fox 2
I also still get blackscreens.
all you guys got TFT or CRT ? just curious. I do think its a driver bug with certain TFT displays, ive not had black screen once since switching to a 19" CRT form 17" TFT. Two types of black screen bug one is where after shift F4 , screen remains black until LFS.exe is closed or other where periodically screen goes black for 1 sec or so. (this is TFT only afaik)
The same here. Last week at least 6 times blackScreen:weeping: . Perhaps it would be simpler either only windowmode or only fullscreen. Because when starting LFS then fullscreen, then with the MP mode windowmode again, and with start again fullscreen. Don't last it better up to the connection only windowmode, then only fullscreen?
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :all you guys got TFT or CRT ? just curious. I do think its a driver bug with certain TFT displays, ive not had black screen once since switching to a 19" CRT form 17" TFT. Two types of black screen bug one is where after shift F4 , screen remains black until LFS.exe is closed or other where periodically screen goes black for 1 sec or so. (this is TFT only afaik)

Hmm, first I wanted to write that makes no sence, but at the time where all the problems with a black window were, I had NO ONE with a good old CRT.
But as I said, this wasnt a common situation.

Will try it normal with the TFT now or better "tomorrow"
it has happend to me twice in V..when i was doing the maximize/minamize stuff
I just had it (for the first time ever).

Had joined STCC2 Silver/Gold at WE1R. Was driving along, and decided my wheel felt a bit funny, so pitted so that I could check the game controller options in windows. Shift-F4, check drivers (they were okay as it happens), click on LFS (which was still working) and Shift-F4d back to full screen.

All I got was blackness, although all the buttons worked and I could see my mouse pointer. Sounds were still there, and if it wasn't for the fact I couldn't see anything LFS appeared to be fine. So I closed LFS (using the mouse and guessing where the buttons were on screen) and restarted it, and all was fine.

I don't think it's reproducable, but if it happens again I'll be sure to post what was going on. Just a one off I think.
#14 - J.B.
For the Record: I've had black-screens in patch V with a CRT, 6600 GT, 84.xx drivers. Sometimes I can fix it with shift-F4 or alt-tab but not always.
I've got some black screen using SHIFT+F4
Still having the LFS sound and the mouse pointer, but no image.

ALT+F4 for closing LFS, open it again and it was ok.

Patch V
CRT 19"
nvidia 6800 GT
I have the black screen problem to be exact since... i installed patch V.
Happned to me about three times last week(vacation ) About once every 5 hours of play with shift+F4 Got exactly the same as other people, still the sounds etc.

I just it report too, to make sure it gets back on de buglist and is removed fromt the list of bug fixes

system:
w2k with All patches and servicepacks of M$
graphics: asus ati 850xt pe with latest drivers of asus (note: card sucks due to overheating problems when used for more "heavy" games than lfs)
#17 - dev

Happened a few days ago to me to...
is anything being done about this? I am still getting it ALL the time and it is really starting to suck.

sorry thats bullshit, i get that bug as well when switching between windowed mode to full screen mode. (which i need for noobTV or companion)

and it has nothing todo with resolution, i've tried it on an external monitor as well (because i am running lfs on a laptop) and got the same problems...

maybe it's a grafix card issue, but i have a nVidia gForceFX Go5200 which is a pretty good laptop grafic card usally in multimedia laptops... and i don't get black screens in any other application...

my res is 1280x800 and i also tried it with external monitor: 1280x1024... no difference
I got blackscreen three times, in the last two days.

All times I was spectating, and resizing window, to go to inferno for setups.

When I try to come back to the race (STCC) then the screen was black, and did not answer mouseclickings. I had to force Lfs to shut down.

I have tried it som other times to, one in patch V and 2 - 3 times in the other patches
Just want to confirm i get the black screen also.

Happens when Alt+F4 ing or Alt+Tabbing back into LFS, eg leave lfs then go back to the LFS Window and then everything goes black. full sound still however. just no screen.

This is on an LCD screen, Nvidia 7900GS SLI mode on + off latest Nvidia drivers (93.81 Beta and 93.71)

Happens 7/10 but i do tend to need to Alt + F4 alot. normally happens after doing more than twice.
I also get the black screen. It happens when I enable or disable one of my displays. (19" LCD or 51" HDTV)
Did it today for me when I Shift-F4'ed to go too and from windowed mode. Couldn't get any video to resume, had to close LFS. I even couldn't close LFS by clicking the X, it just froze there and I had to shut down the process

(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG