The online racing simulator
Driving Force Pro or G25
(11 posts, started )
Driving Force Pro or G25
My Logitech Momo wheel is giving up on me. I have fixed the pedals more times than I care to discuss. I think its time for me to spend the money and buy a new wheel.

Do I take the economic path and buy the DFP or splurge and buy a G25?

What would you do and why?
#2 - Jakg
G25, its sooooooo much better than the Momo
#3 - herki
If you can spare the money, go for the G25, it is so much better than the DFP. I don't to have a DFP again since I got the G25
It depends on you really. If you have the money G25 is not bad investment, but if you don't or want to spend money on something else DFP is not a bad choice either.
I guess my main dilemma is that I will probably be happy with the DFP, but for how long?

I don't really want to spend all that money on the G25, but then again, I don't want to buy the DFP now and then still want the G25.

Decisions....Decisions
DFP wheel is good, but the pedals will just give you nightmares again.

The G25 pedals are very good, and apart from a lack of buttons, the wheel is excellent too.

And another piece of info - the DFP polls it's data to the computer 125 times per second. The G25 updates 500 times per second. I had a DFP for three years, and this improvement is vastly noticeable to me, the sharpness of the wheel is very apparent.
If you buy a new DFP then the pedals shouldn''t give you "nightmares" as the later released DFP's have been reinforced inside to make them last much longer.

I got a used set of pedals which i've have been used quite alot in about 6 months and I bet they were used alot before I got them to, still never failed once or gave any bother. I managed to break the wheel though so managed to buy a DFP with a Frex kit on it.

http://www.theyoda.info/mes_images/frex/montage99a.jpg

The inputs this wheel gives as it was one of the 1st ones released (Although it was looked after good) is still amazing and I don't see any sort of glitching or raggedness when I move the wheel which I used to get with the older driving force.

I think if you want as much realism as you can get or you have loads of spare cash to throw around get the G25 but if you want something cheaper and reliable get the DFP as it is a very nice wheel and atleast you will have loads of buttons to play with.
It depends on the sort of car you prefer.

If you like the road cars, get G25 due to the shifter.
But for the single seaters and GTR cars, the DFP has a lot more buttons and is a shitload cheaper.
After owning a dfp and now a g25 this is what i would say

Dfp - A good wheel and good pdeals (if youget the rev b which im sure you would) Wheel rotation though is 900 i always found it nearly impossible to drive any car as the smallest oversteer and i could never rotate the wheel quick enough. Good ffb with the dfp but a bit slow (isn't anywhere near enough to auto counter steer). Lots of buttons on the wheel which was useful as it meant unless i was typing i never used the keyboard. Also the dfp has price on its side that is 1/3 of the price of the
g25. Sum up - A good wheel but not with out its faults.

g25 - An excellent wheel with brilliant pedals, three different amounts of pressure for the three pedals. Wheel rotation 900 the same as the dfp. Thoughthe cars only go up 720 in lfs the g25 is usable up to the full 900. Counter steer at times still needs some help, but for normal racing situations the ffb will counter steer for you. The ffb is excellent and IMO has more feeling than the dfp. Only 2 buttons on the wheel which does seem like a problem but i have got used to it. Big advantage is the shifter - although it seems some have end with the problem of not being able to shift into reverse. Disadvantage is the buttons and the price. Overall i would say an excellent wheel but not with out it's faults.

So i would say go with the g25 if you can afford it, but if not then the dfp will still be a good wheel to have.

Hope thats made your decision easier.
Quote from Bawbag :If you buy a new DFP then the pedals shouldn''t give you "nightmares" as the later released DFP's have been reinforced inside to make them last much longer.

They weren't reinforced exactly, they had new pots. I had both revisions of the pedals, and had them open many times. The Rev B pots are bigger, sturdier, metal can type pots and are significantly better than the Rev A tiny craptastic ones.

However, if you are a very heavy user, then the pots may wear out anyway. I had my Rev A pedals replaced with Rev B when they packed in, and they in turn needed replacing after only six months due to bad spiking. They can be cleaned, but I chose to use my warranty and had some new ones sent. Then I opened them and cleaned the pots. The second set also wore out after about six months of heavy use. So I had two sets, which if used a lot, would need contact cleaner on the pots every couple of months.

Worryingly, the G25 pots look to be a similar type to the ones in the DFP, but with the much better design, gearing mechanism, anti backlash spring and increased pot rotation, they should last longer, but they will wear out. BRD et al look to use very high quality pots which last for years. For the cost of the G25, they really should have gone in this direction.
The pedals on the G25 are worth the extra cost alone. The brake pedal modulation is so much better, and they have a much more quality feel to them overall.

Driving Force Pro or G25
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG