The online racing simulator
Dorikin's 3D W!P's
(11 posts, started )
Dorikin's 3D W!P's
Well guyz,

After around half a year having fun with max, i think its time to slowlly start some propper projects in 3D for me. I come from a graphics designer background but felt like i was missing out on somethin. And thats 3D art boyz .
Anywayz, as being a very lazy and unmotivated person i think its great that there're forums, where kind people give some feedback and motivation to keep u going.

So for my first project ive been asked to design a site for a new lfs team. Before ive done it this team is not recruiting or whatever so this is basiclly a start of a team. And for the Header ive desided that it would be nice to have an XRT smoothed on a nice background from lfs. For the teams name we chose "Hashiriya Touge(HT)". And as that meaning "underground (mountain) pass" i thought the spot that reminds me of the Touge the most in all the LFS levels is FernBay. So my plan is to make a 360 degree HDRi image for rendering in 3D. And when i have a smoothed XRT it should look real nice if i get the materials right.

So i decided on a spot in Fern Bay.

360 hdri's are actually pretty simple to make if u think bout it.
Just get fraps or any sort alike software to make screenshots ingame.
The deside a spot u wanna be the centre of ur hdri map and go there. And the just basicly make sure that every screenshot u take is about on the same level as the one before it. Hopefully u get it. Otherwise i could explain a bit better...
Here's a try. I like that corner.
ofcourse the original file is at least twise as big (resolution wise)

And here are some test renders of my WIP on the smoothed XRT. Its obviously not a game model anymore and detailes aren't yet finetuned.
But hopefully with your motivation i'll do it soon.(Very little free time for personal projects:shrug

btw. all the notDemo stuff was fcourse done at my friends house who has the full acount.(jst in case) Ill deff get the full game ones i (poorass student) can get a nice wheel and LFS at the same time. Till then i think its useless to play full LFS with the mouse too much competition.
Nice one mate,
Can you give us more info on the HDRi HowTo ? (the whole process)
all you have to do is take pictures in a circle... its a giant panoramic (except it goes upward and lengthwise rather than just one of those ways)

unless.. you dont know how to do that?
Some progress of the day..
cnc alwayz welcome

btw. if u want to really get a huge HDRi image u can alwayz set the perspective(zoom) on the camera in lfs to smallest. But that way u'll have to make a lot of images in 360° direction. And also alot in different angles..(pointing the camera towards the ground and sky). But on max i think maybe images of sizes like 50000px n maybe even higher can be generated. U never really need that much unleess u planing on making some huge(building size) billboard.
Sweet modelling, and even more sweeter idea!
Quote from XCNuse :all you have to do is take pictures in a circle... its a giant panoramic (except it goes upward and lengthwise rather than just one of those ways)

unless.. you dont know how to do that?

I know how to make vertical or horizontal panoramics, i dont know how to make one that goes both ways though.. how do u stitch the photos together?
Quote from ramtech :I know how to make vertical or horizontal panoramics, i dont know how to make one that goes both ways though.. how do u stitch the photos together?

u dont really stitch them...

u just make sure it ends as a seamless texture. And it should line up when it gets stretched in 3dMax into a 360° HDRi (sphere). also u make multiple horizontal pano's under multiple vertical angles and stitch them with autostitch(works better then photoshop). And after that make sre its all seamless.
Quote from DoriKiN :u dont really stitch them...

u just make sure it ends as a seamless texture. And it should line up when it gets stretched in 3dMax into a 360° HDRi (sphere). also u make multiple horizontal pano's under multiple vertical angles and stitch them with autostitch(works better then photoshop). And after that make sre its all seamless.

That is not HDRI you making. You are only making an ordinary environment map. HDRI stands for High Dynamic Range Illumination. Which means it has many different light exposure informations in one single file. Imagine that is like taking 12 photographs of the same image but with different stops of exposures (from very dark to very bright) and all those informations are all stored in the one file.
Quote from samyip :That is not HDRI you making. You are only making an ordinary environment map. HDRI stands for High Dynamic Range Illumination. Which means it has many different light exposure informations in one single file. Imagine that is like taking 12 photographs of the same image but with different stops of exposures (from very dark to very bright) and all those informations are all stored in the one file.

Yeah, u right.
Dont know why i called it hdri. And now im thinkin how to make it into .hdr file for max. Think with hdrshop i can do that. And as im using mentalray i think im gonna leave the final production blending till last.

Well some more progress. Starting to look like an XRT. Still alot to be modeled. I think im half way now .
cnc please
some (loads) wires...

Dorikin's 3D W!P's
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG