The online racing simulator
Mid Field Racers....
(40 posts, started )
Quote from mrodgers :Sure. Problem for me is, as I improve, so does those front runner guys, LOL. I'm not a front runner, nor do I concider myself a midpack runner. I'm the guy lagging behind the front runners and smokin the midpack running all by myself. I typically start last due to racestart frame rate and lag, then pass all the carnage in T1, pass all the mid runners by lap 2, and run around staring at the gap on the map between me and the top 3 for the rest of the race, LOL.

What does that make me? Am I the fastest of the mid-decent pack runners or the slowest of the fastest? LOL.

Well, whatever you are, I suppose I'm the same thing; you and I have had some tremendous battles
The hard part is when you start in the middle of the pack and you're battling 2 aliens who want to beat you and eachother out of T1 and you got a whole bunch of people behind you, who well...since you're a midfielder the people behind you are the *cough* troublesome in T1.

So you're basically eying all 4 directions of your car plus you gotta control the cold-tired monster into the turn itself, and going slow means I'm going to be rear-ended and going fast mean driving above my skill level and possible crash everyone.

Starting at the rear is ok I guess, but that means you can't really compete with the 'fun' guys (the ones that don't generally make big mistakes).

And nono, this isn't whining. I mean, god knows I have caused a pile-up or two because I'm generally too slow for T1 + I know people are lagging and having poor framerates and stuff. But there and then it sure is exciting/frustrating.
I know exactly how you feel, buddy.
Yeah, that's exactly what happens to me almost every single race, be it a pubbie or a league one.

I'm faster than the very slowest guys on the grid (who probably lack sets or training or both) but can't touch the "quick" guys at all.

So yeah, i'm on that position a lot.
The people who are behind me can't reach me and i can't reach the podium (top 3) guys, that's the norm anyway.

I rarely finish on the top 3 positions. (And i finish a lot )

So.. what do i do?
Everytime i find someone who's kinda on the same "beat" as me i write down their login names (push CTRL+SHIFT on the connections' list) and later on add them as my buddies on LFS World.

And then, whenever i see one of them online i go after them (using LFS World Live Alert) and we can have some pretty good battles and all.

You don't need to win to have fun, at least i've got a lot of great moments on LFS and just a few wins.

It's a lot more about the close battles than winning, at least for me.
(Or maybe this could be a loser's excuse :tilt

ps: of course that some time after that those guys get faster than me and i end up alone again but i can always find me another midfielder mate... then i add his nickname... well, you get the idea! hehehe
ps2: heck, anyone who wishes to run against an "open wheeler midfielder", just add me. i'm pretty active.
#30 - Nard
Hehe, I just made the jump from STCC bronze to silver+gold, I was finishing mostly top 3 in the first, now I'm all teh way back to the last spots in the latter. I guess I'll have to practice more and tune my TBO sets.
Quote from MAGGOT :Well, whatever you are, I suppose I'm the same thing; you and I have had some tremendous battles

LOL, I was going to say the same thing.

And I didn't mean I was nipping on the heals of the elite aliens up there. Just that I'm nipping on the heals of the guy running a second or 2 away from WR times. If only those guys could hit a wall and quit with the improving times......
When I read this post I felt as though I'm at an intervention, even now as I am typing. Feeling as if I, as well, have to admit to being a midfeild racer....... Finally, I got that off my chest. I feel relieved, just like that time when I had to..... Never mind... Uhhhh yeah if you want good competition get on the STCC public servers, most of the races I've experienced on them have been very competitive no matter what place I have been in.

Edit:Why isn't my signature showing up as that little bar thingy?
Nice topic, no one has to guts to admit they are aliens, nor slow.
Well, me neither cos I'm really a midfielder too

Quote from legoflamb :
Edit:Why isn't my signature showing up as that little bar thingy?

EDIT: nvm, code tags don't seem to filter stcc codes out..

I always have fun in the midfield, where I usually am =) majority of the midfielders are devoloping their driving ability and some of them will hang onto their spots like a rabid dog! I think as LFS grows you will see more and more of this. Midfielders showing racecraft =) instead of just the "fast" guys. Even then I know some aliens that cannot race for crap and think they can put their nose where they feel like it.
I'm definitely midfield and have had a lot of fun battles there. And if I'm running alone the next game is only a few laps away so I'll try to get familiar with the car/track combo and hope for the best next time.

Probably one of my nicest races was on an Aston circuit with only 3 peeps but we were on the exact same pace in FXO and all making mistakes, making the first place swap around a lot. It showed me that it does not matter how many people are even on a server just as long as you are driving with a similar pace. We were about 4-5 secs off WR

I do however usually look for at least 6 people on a server just because there is a bigger chance for someone of similar abilities.
I can usually stay with the pace setters but I rarely win against them. I usually overcook it somewhere and go wide or something and lose time that I cant get back... if i dont make any mistakes for a couple of races may get a podium.

Like to stay on the lead lap if I can.
#37 - ev0
Quote from frokki :Nice topic, no one has to guts to admit they are aliens, nor slow.
Well, me neither cos I'm really a midfielder too

Quote from ev0 :... I'm one of the slow guys at the back..

but I have an excuse!
nice to read this thread. i'm somewhat inexperienced, and will hopefully soon find more time for online racing and find myself fighting in the midfield.
I'm there too, don't worry. I almost always find myself right outside of a podium spot (unless I make a mistake, or get creamed in T1).

Mid Field Racers....
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG