The online racing simulator
HELP PLEASE, Momo Mod or G25 time.
So I moved into apartment a month ago. Finally got a computer station to play LFS. Its basically a 24" x 48" kitchen table, about an inch thick.

About 2 inches in, the table has an inner rectangle where the legs and table are held together. (Number 1 in the very bad pic)

Unfortunatly the table cross-section juts down (Number 2), just a bit too low for the big screw mount of the black momo to clear it. (Number 3)

The two side legs are fine as far as i can tell.

Help Please!

A) Im thinking of cutting the middle mount section off leaving just the two screw up legs to clamp the wheel down. Anybody done this before/thoughts?

B)Second, the G25 doesn't have a third mounting point right? So the two screw legs are similar to the black momo's?

Any thoughts are very welcome. I need to play lfs NOW. I haven't gotten to try the new patch out!!!!
Attached images
Wheel.png
The central third leg isn't important, and just unscrews from underneath (4 screws iirc).

Don't make the mistake I did of sawing it off, especially if you are being filmed at the time (damn Fordman).
#3 - Jakg
Quote from tristancliffe :Don't make the mistake I did of sawing it off, especially if you are being filmed at the time (damn Fordman).

you were filmed? linky!
Quote from tristancliffe :The central third leg isn't important, and just unscrews from underneath (4 screws iirc).

Don't make the mistake I did of sawing it off, especially if you are being filmed at the time (damn Fordman).

hahaha, Wow, really good to know. Thanks for the input!
I have to disagree. If you yank on the wheel like I do, then that 3rd clamp is very important. I have mine tight on the desk and still manage to rip it off sometimes. When I forget to tighten down the 3rd clamp, the wheel is in my lap by turn 2. My Momo also tends to tip very easy when I don't have the 3rd clamp tightened.

I had always heard the jokes about Tristan, a controller, and a hacksaw, but had never heard the exact story. Thanks for that. I now know what that was all about .
The detail I never sussed out was why Tristan needed to saw the whole thing off, why wasn't unscrewing the big, erm, screwy thing (the bit that actually clamps onto the desk) sufficient?
You don't say, unless I missed it, what the cross-member is made of that blocks the clamp. Is it possible to find a good mounting point then, assuming the material is something other than stone or metal, route it out to fit the third clamp?
Quote from bdshan :You don't say, unless I missed it, what the cross-member is made of that blocks the clamp. Is it possible to find a good mounting point then, assuming the material is something other than stone or metal, route it out to fit the third clamp?

Im sorry. The 3rd member is made 3/4 inch hard wood. Its intrinsic to the rigidity of the table.

Il post some pics if i get a chance.

Anyway, ive removed the 3rd brace (the right way) and am downloading the new version as we speak.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Stu

p.s. @bdshan, if the new table works i hope i might be able to rejoin your team.
You've always been apart of the team, just maybe a little less active than others.

Glad your getting back up and racing.
Quote from tristancliffe :Don't make the mistake I did of sawing it off

or you can always phone Bob and get him around to your house to break it off which is what he did to my momo wheel didn't you BOB!!!!

Than i had to get out the drill and search around the flat to find something suitable andmodify it slightly so that i could screw it back on as I need the underneath clamp because by desk is so thick i cannot use the 2 small clamps.....

I was checking out the G25 as I am thinking of investing some of my saved up cash and noticed that the third clamp was removed from the G25's design so it only uses the two small clamps. At present I don't think I could use my desk to clamp the G25 down, the two small clamps clamp to my desk only with 0.5cm at the tips(see pic) but tis the third clamp that actually holds my wheel in place.....unless they unscrew a lot further down so that i could actually get them under the table properly.

As you can see in the picture, i used a small wooden block with two screws on both sides to hold the third clamp in place, quite a poor fix but its holding rather nicely.

Can you shed some more info on the g25s clamping? (sorry to use you thread) hope you don't mind...

Mad
Attached images
clamps problem.jpg
#11 - Jakg
Ah, the little clamps go about 3.4 cm down
Same as on the Momo Racing then..... hmmmm I can't really afford to get a G25 and a new desk I really don't understand why they removed the 3rd clamp, I do agree it was a bit dodgy and easy to break but it is just so useful and in my case.. vital!
Quote from Jakg :Ah, the little clamps go about 3.4 cm down

My desk is 35mm thick, and the G25 fits. You just have to remove the plastic extensions (which are required for thin desks).

The G25 clamps extend up to 53mm, the Momo clamps extend 57mm. Madman's desk is 80mm thick due to the metal support bar.
Anyone have a solution that doesn't involve buying a new desk? I think he's willing to butcher the desk so long as it won't cause it to collapse.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG