Poll : Rolling starts.

Use of pit speed limiters on GT1 and GT2's.
Racers follow behind the marshall.
normal LFS race start.
Let us vote on rolling starts.
It has been suggested that rolling starts would add to the realism, and be able to thin out the crowd so bunch ups wont happen at turn one. So for the people whom are participating in this (these) races, I would like your vote.

Some ideas:

-GT1 and GT2 have pit speed limiters, therefore you can maintain a constant speed. GT3's will be able to keep up. Once an individual car clears the start/finish line they take off the limiter. The only downside is that it will take 5 minutes to get around the track.

-The race marshall (me) will be in a safety car driving at 100 km/h until I pit, then once I clear the track, it is green light go. Only downside of this is that some may get too antsy and may cause an accident, or the GT3's may get left behind. Of course, the race marshall will maintain 100 km/h only on the straights, and see fit to whatever speed is safe in corners.

Vote!
Quote from jayhawk :It has been suggested that rolling starts would add to the realism, and be able to thin out the crowd so bunch ups wont happen at turn one. So for the people whom are participating in this (these) races, I would like your vote.

Some ideas:

-GT1 and GT2 have pit speed limiters, therefore you can maintain a constant speed. GT3's will be able to keep up. Once an individual car clears the start/finish line they take off the limiter. The only downside is that it will take 5 minutes to get around the track.

-The race marshall (me) will be in a safety car driving at 100 km/h until I pit, then once I clear the track, it is green light go. Only downside of this is that some may get too antsy and may cause an accident, or the GT3's may get left behind. Of course, the race marshall will maintain 100 km/h only on the straights, and see fit to whatever speed is safe in corners.

Vote!

i made a post about the very same thing

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=17633

i would vote for the latter
I have a script that filur wrote that fully automates a rolling start. PM me to try it out.
#4 - Davo
I went for rolling starts and a marshall/pace car. While the script is brilliant it would require everyone to test it out before hand so they know what to do, and organising that could be a hard task.

Keep it simple and there shouldn't be any problems unlkess people jump the start, btu if it's kept single file it would work well.
Well, AFAIK the script tells everyone what they should do. It tells people if they're out of place or speeding and gives out penalties if they do it too often. It would probably go alright just using the script straight away but it would be safer to have a practice.
#6 - Cawwa
Sounds interesting with that script Leif.

In MoE Frankmd have made a script too. Strange that the wheel have to be invented at least two times ...

Agree that we have to test the scripts. Gather as much drivers as possible and we all do tests in good time before the race.

If we dont use scripts I sugest we do the start rolling in single line and let the pole car keep the speed around 100 - 150 km/h around the track, slow down to pit limiter speed at the long strait where the Aston National and Historic merge again, or at least before the last hairpin. After the last turn (last chicane) the start goes. No overtaking should be allowed before that chicane. No need for a pace car imo.
Frankmd's is a better one, it shows him the speed of everybody. Mine (well, it's filur's really) just sends messages to the server, it doesn't tell the admin anything.
#8 - Vain
I don't think we need anything fancy.
Just tell the race leader to drive slowly enough for everyone to keep up. If necessary, tell him to speed up or slow down via chat.
Then declare the race open from the last chicane onwards.

In the event we practice that once, from standing start to opened race beyond T1 (should take about 4 minutes), and then start the official race.

Vain
Looks like speed limiters are the most voted. I'll let this poll go for another week and then officially announce it.
#10 - Davo
I for one am against pit speed limiters for the reason they don't always turn off when you press the button. I'm more than capable of keeping my car at 80km/h manually.
Yeah, I think we could just keep at roughly 80 manually and then speed up when we hit the exit of the last corner or the start line, whichever is preferred.
so.... how about a little rolling start test? i think we must practice in order to avoid disasters.....
#13 - Vain
I think it's best to do the test right before the event. Quali, pause, test, race. That way all participating drivers have done the test.
I wonder how many people will actually drive...

Vain
Quote from Vain :I think it's best to do the test right before the event. Quali, pause, test, race. That way all participating drivers have done the test.
I wonder how many people will actually drive...

Vain

i think we must practice before... i mean... not a few minutes before the race... It´s only to check behavior considering we didn´t use this system before. I supose it´s not alowed to do zig-zag to warm up tires... it may cause a non sense crash.... what do you think?
I think all of you should be fine...just keep your position, keep a car length between you and the person in front of you. When you cross the start/finish line after the parade lap, just go like hell.
Nothing wrong to do a test since many isn't used to that rolling start. Just look at the two rescent starts in the MoE league. Total mayhem and that with experienced drivers ...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG