The online racing simulator
Hello - Can you suggest a game to me? (F1)
Hello, i love LFS, the open wheelers mostly(sp?) and have a lot of fun in them.
And yeah i know and truly recognize that LFS is the most well simulated racing game on the market right now.

Having said that can you guys suggest me some PC F1 racing games?
The last one i came across was Grand Prix 3 (2001?) so there's probably better options for me as of 2007.

I want something with "good" AI, that's all.
Just want to cruise on the F1 tracks and have some weekend racing fun, you know?

And yeah i don't need (if you still have the urge, go ahead anyway hehe) to be told that LFS has got the best F1 physics (heck, i dunno if theres even any other "game" who isn't "racing on rails" at all) and that there are a lot of leagues running them and all that jazz.

It could either be a F1 game (EA games? GP4?) or a good mod for another "simulator".

And to repeat myself once again, i know that it will be a lot different to LFS (to which im pretty used right now, even being slow as i am) and a "game" and all that. Ok? hehe

I just would like to test some F1 games and see if i can have fun with them, that's all. I'm just trying not to piss off the people who play LFS only and apparently really "hate" or something people who doesn't, heh.

Thanks for the help!
Well theres a few knocking about, but they are mostly arcade racers.

F1 Challenge is popular for modding, or at least it used to be.

Grand Prix Legends is the most realistic and best imo, its mostly F1 cars from the 60s and takes a long time to get all the graphics updates and mods but its well worth the effort. I also heard theres a mod for modern f1 cars knocking about.

Your best bet would be GP4, you can turn on all the settings and have some fun but also turn em off and cause a few pile ups as a result
F1 2005 CTDP mod for rFactor?
As above, get rFactor - there's plenty of open wheeler mods.

With RH's F1 due shortly, F1-1979 which is pretty sweet - and there will be newer versions of cdtp shortly etc.
#5 - ajp71
Quote from deggis :F1 2005 CTDP mod for rFactor?

Horrible waste of space. Don't know if any of the other F1 mods for rF use the full potential of the ISI engine (which is a lot more than the average mod).
Crammond's GP4 is said to have the most advanced AI. Good wet racing too. I played it when it came out but it was very resource hungry, haven't tried it since, but all the GP range had good AI and covered the whole F1 race weekend thing really well.

Plus you could save mid race and therefore continue a whole season at your leisure.
Yea, GP4 has awesome AI from what I remember and the wet weather is probably still leading the way. You can pick up GP4 dirt cheap and download the mods: http://www.grandprixgames.org. GFX look awesome with some hires cars and tracks.

Track editing was made possible just over a year ago so there are also new tracks

Thats the best dedicated F1 game your going to get for a long time...
The last formula 1 game I played was called just that Formula 1, it came with my old ATI 8mb card. but its damn good when it comes to realistic racing. I'v never seen any racing game play like that. Not bad graphics either, for a game of its time.
I"ll be taking a look at GP4 + mods, looks like it's the best option for what i'm looing for (good AI + full season and full racing weekend's action), thanks guys.
#10 - DeKo
GP4 is probably good if your into graphics, but imo its just a train simulator, unfortunately.
Quote from DeKo :GP4 is probably good if your into graphics, but imo its just a train simulator, unfortunately.

It's the only F1 game that I can think of that has good AI. The AI actually fight you and attempt to pass. The wet weather is still probably the best available.

You can make GP4 more interesting if you turn off all the driving aids
I remember when I had GP4 the replays were gorgeous to watch, it was the closest a game has ever come to simulating TV style coverage of a real F1 race. Wet weather was also stunning back when it was released, cant remember any game beating it to date, maybe gtr2 gets quite close.

It was only a shame that GP4 didnt support multiplayer over the net! its the only reason why i migrated to f1 99-02

mad

btw... if someone posted some stunning screenies it would help him
#13 - DeKo

can take a while to get it up to scratch, but once you do it looks amazing

(these are not my screens, just copied them from RSC)
So.. those screenies are from "f1 99-02"?

That's the name of the game?
What mods are used on those?

Please help a brother out.... hehehe
Being a little more specific (game, mods), i"ll go after the rest of it.

Does this "f1 99-02" have a good AI?
#15 - JJ72
those are gp4,dunno which mod though.

f1 99-02's ai is alright...just a bit boring.
F1 challenge 99-02 has a very good AI and it is adjustable by a slider to 20-120% if I remember correctly. An average driver will have a very good time at 80%, a hard time at 90% and above 100%, well...

So for Single Player, F1 Challenge is very good, you certainly will find a level that really challenges you no matter how good driver you are.

The graphics are very good and there are many mods for it too.
Quote from DeKo :can take a while to get it up to scratch, but once you do it looks amazing

(these are not my screens, just copied them from RSC)

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow! Man that does look good. Yesterday I ramaged through my cds to see if by chance I didnt have GP4 and in the end I managed to find it. I also downloaded some of the mods but could you advise me which ones I need to get it looking that good?

i've been to www.gp4db.com to tge the 2006 beta mod but I dont think it comes with 05 tracks so that I still have the default tracks in game with default textures... just downloading the 05 trackpack though and the 05 season mod.

Mad
Let's just wait for DeKo.

F1 99-02 has good ai too then?
Nice.

I've been hearing that GP4 has the best one yet tho.
Anyway, i guess this weekend i"ll grab me a copy.

Just please direct us to the mods...
i think the bad thing with gp4 was, you were not able to use other tracks then the default one. which made it a flop in my opinion... allthough i was a gp fan since gp1

anyway the replays were like TV
#20 - DeKo
Quote from Meanie :Let's just wait for DeKo.

F1 99-02 has good ai too then?
Nice.

I've been hearing that GP4 has the best one yet tho.
Anyway, i guess this weekend i"ll grab me a copy.

Just please direct us to the mods...

its GP4 yeah. those screenshots arent from me (as i said in the post), although i wasnt far away on my old geforce 6800, im yet to try it with my X1900XTX. I imagine it will look rather sexy.

grandprixgames.org told me pretty much everything about modding the game, and has a very active mod community.
#21 - Gunn
I've always like Crammond's GP games. GP2 was great, GP4 is quite good too. F1 Challenge is rubbish.
Quote from DeKo :its GP4 yeah. those screenshots arent from me (as i said in the post), although i wasnt far away on my old geforce 6800, im yet to try it with my X1900XTX. I imagine it will look rather sexy.

grandprixgames.org told me pretty much everything about modding the game, and has a very active mod community.

But, do you have any idea which mods are used on those screenies?
Does the guy tell you that?
Where exactly did you get those?

I want to know what he's using, mod-wise

Thanks man.
Quote from Meanie :But, do you have any idea which mods are used on those screenies?
Does the guy tell you that?
Where exactly did you get those?

I want to know what he's using, mod-wise

Thanks man.

It appears that he is using the F1 2005 season mod

You can get the mod and other mods + tracks for Grand Prix 4 from www.gp4db.com

hope that helps

Mad
Quote from Fischfix :i think the bad thing with gp4 was, you were not able to use other tracks then the default one. which made it a flop in my opinion... allthough i was a gp fan since gp1

anyway the replays were like TV

If you read my post you would have realised that track editing was made possible by L02k and now is probably one of the easiest games to make a track for...
Quote from keiran :If you read my post you would have realised that track editing was made possible by L02k and now is probably one of the easiest games to make a track for...

Really? hmmm I will look into this myself, I considered creating a track for rTactor but I really dont want to waste my money on it. GP4 I have had for ages and if now you can make your own tracks... man thats great.. Still waiting for the DTM mod that is due to be released....

mad

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG