The online racing simulator
Ingame Lights, and possabilities around this.
What are the odds that the game can be improved with light capabilities.. so the user can add modified light objects to a model, or to the car itself ingame.. Add custom light objects, with 16k or 256k color chart ? .. Would be nice.. im currently on a Cops&Robbers server, and i'd love to see some flashings lights in my mirror when chased. I don't know what 3D engine this game runs on.. but it seems very smooth.. so therefore i guess there would be a chance to add this feature At least.. i hope for an answer

Greetings from Cold Norway

Espen aka. Firsty
#2 - R1K89
Thanks m8 .. but that's not what i mean ? ..

I want to have a light engine ingame. That can create a flashing light, visible in mirrors, and actually on shadows.. like for example the lights in nfs?. On the roof, and in the frontgrille. and maybe in the backwindows.. Or just the ability to modify the gamemodels myself, to use a lightening engine.. Because i don't think that is implented in the 3d engine yet ?. since the headlights and rearlights are just textures..

Like this.
http://home.no.net/djfirsty/files/Lightsystems.jpg
#4 - bbman
I'm sorry, I don't want to race/drive next to a neon sign... So -1 from me...
Lol actually.. This picture is meant on the Cops&Robbers server lol.. on other servers.. well, headlights and taillights would be the only neon sign you'll see

Also. it could be implented in a external skin file..when you opened for example Police.jpg ingame.. it would also open a Police.txt file, which enabled the lights options in the garage? .. so the player could chose the extra lights on the car..
It would only be as easy as this..
Upgraded Lightsystems, removed the headlight texture, and taillight texture. adding a glowlight instead of texture
also added options for policeskins, to add extra policelights on cars running a policeskin.

Easy.. and no abuse of it.!
#6 - filur
Basically, if it doesn't add anything to racing, it probably won't be added to the racing simulator. Just my guess, of course.
well, the possability to use another more flexible light engine.. gives the racing simulator more realistic feel. With real lights. and other light objects.. imo of course.. and that also, means that ppl actually creating mods to the game. have a little more flexibility with light's ingame,... and in future mods/skins.
imo it would be a great lift to the game
I wouldn't mind seeing and RB4 with a light bar (and possibly two-tones) for use as a safety car (and possibly for CNR for those who want it as well).

BUT no map - I wouldn't want to race against people covered in flashing lights - inappropriate hazards get me annoyed. Use hazards when you are heavily damaged and returning to the pits.
Well, as i stated.. the meaning was not flashing lights.. unless using a police skin.. who does a race with a police skin.. unless its a Cop&Robber game ?.. Well.. the meaning would be to give the head and taillights a facelift.. with more realistic lights. Glowmaps.. and for the ones who play on different servers.. cars using a police skin.. could be able to enable special options regarding that skin. to add more lights and colors to them. Agree?
Once upon a time, i created a modification, cooperating with the creators.. for Street Legal Racing REDLINE.. and we made the lights much better. and a modified lightbar was created to add upon cars ingame. The cars could Not use the lightbar unless they had a skin called Cop.png.. The game then executed pngcop.txt whitch made the program execute the additional Options for that specific car.. then again.. adding the bar was possible.. The bar contained 4 light object whitch could be painted to glow the color it was painted in.. And the lights glowed two and two.. leftside -> rightside.. and this option was only used by ppl who wanted it.. So it was not an MUST.. that annoyed ppl.. only the ones who wanted it.. used it The freedom to choose Right ?
Quote from Firsty :Glowmaps.. and for the ones who play on different servers.. cars using a police skin.. could be able to enable special options regarding that skin. to add more lights and colors to them. Agree?

It depends if they are disablable by server admins and/or users. Server admins should be able to ban glowmaps, and users should be able to disable glowmaps if they are permitted on the server.

However, IMO, a version of the RB4 with a light bar and possibly two tones (RBL) would be better.
Look at the image.. of course! Admins could allow/diable the skins this option is attached to!

For example.. the FX0 can use the Police.jpg skin, whitch calls the fxopolice.txt.. that txt file enables the option.. Well, now the admins could disable the call function of the txt file. for an example

an easy enable/disable Lights options on advanced skins button could be applied to the Server creation screen ?
+1 from me for a real lighting engine, so we can have night races and stuff

BUT!!!

first we need a good aero model (bended wings shouldn't have a use like they do now) and a better damage model (fall-off parts)
Fischfix:

Ditto

EDIT: on my rb4, i made my lights red and blue, no one can see it, but it looks cool.
How about an Ute in LFS! Its main purpose could be a pace car, but also be able to race it. All you have to do to add lights is hack the d3d8.dll, im pretty sure.
Actually.. a better and more economical way to d this would be to simply 'add' another car to LFS....

... but this car should have a pre-built siren beam attatched to it's roof and a built in behavior for 'animating' the beam.. and the, you could simply map you own skin to it's body and use the color controls for customizing the flashy light colors!

And like a convertable LX4, you could also have a option to take it off....

This way.. the same model designed for Pacear's (a corvette would be nice) can be used as a cop car on you own skin!

This would also give skinners a cance to build League specific pacecars and also the 'so called towtruck drivers' !

Also... theis would give you the ability too share garage setups for pacecars and optimizing performance for cop cars.. and could eventually spark the "My Cop Car is Faster than Your Cop Car"! or "My PACECAR will beat YOUR pacecare anyday)
Quote from R1K89 :I dunno if that is possible but it would be funny

Email a copy of your COP skin and I will use 3D studio to modify a car for you.. It won't run in LFS but it would make a nice render. I will add a siren beam to the top of it...

... but I can do a nice render of you copcar with police lights if you want...

Email your cop skin to CM[AT]Thecmsite.net.
#20 - ukg
I think Firsty's idea is really good, and there should definately be an option for this especially as Cops and Robbers is getting bigger.

I also think there should be a much better model in LFS for damage, full off parts, smashable lights etc. Then there would ACTUALLY be a need for saftey cars, if there was debry on the track etc.

LFS is a great game, but there are alot of improvements to be made
Quote from wheel4hummer :How about an Ute in LFS! Its main purpose could be a pace car, but also be able to race it. All you have to do to add lights is hack the d3d8.dll, im pretty sure.

I'd rather have an RB4 as a safety car due to the fact they are so easy to drive. The worst thing in a league race would be the safety car spinning. AFAIK if that happens in the STCC there is a red flag ...
LFS is developed in a building block fashion. Untill there is night there is no need for lights.
Well, i hope they create a night-mode next time then Would be great...And hopefully many new users I know alot who will be willing to play it, if theres a more real-life feel to it weather-night time driving-lights.. =) We can only hope.. and hope that they read this from time to time
-1 to this initial idea.

+1 For Safety car model variants of all the cars, with the roof lights etc
well i really wanna see a good police lightbar and some grill lights makes it much more clear what car the police car is or safety car!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG