The online racing simulator
Possible virtual "dyno"?
(14 posts, started )
Possible virtual "dyno"?
Basically what I'm planning to do is write an application that works alongside LFS tweek that shows a "dyno" graph of your tweeked car's output.

It should be easy for me to write the app (probably in VB) to extract the values from LFS tweek, such as:

Car Type (formula, sallon, GT etc etc)
Engine Size
Turbo on/off
boost
general HP
etc ec and other values in LFS tweek.

Now LFS must use a formula to create the engine physics for these specific values etc.

Without knowing that my plan kinda falls at the first hurdle. Is this somethat thats available etc? Cause with it I think it would be handy for all the tweekers to see there power and torque graphs IMO anyway.

I'm up for coding it as I've not got much on at the moment but that all depends if developers wish to share the engine physics engine?

Many thanks

Simon
#2 - Phill
i think your main problem is going to be actually getting the car physically off the ground to allow the user to run the engine and in turn the wheels, without having traction which would move the car.
Bob Smith's Gear Ratio Calculator?
Quote from Phill :i think your main problem is going to be actually getting the car physically off the ground to allow the user to run the engine and in turn the wheels, without having traction which would move the car.

I dont think you had a clue what I mean there. I'm going to be generating a whole virtual garage when you can sit around and drink tea while your car is on the rollers....

Quote from duke_toaster :Bob Smith's Gear Ratio Calculator?

Not heard of it mate? linky linky maybe please?

Also if the mods could move this to the programmers forum that would be cool

thanks
Quote from SimonT :Not heard of it mate? linky linky maybe please?

Also if the mods could move this to the programmers forum that would be cool

thanks

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=16961

That's the new version of GRC (now called Setup Analyser as it has a fair few bits) - it's still in alpha and unfinished. GRC is on the site linked to in his sig.
Many thanks
Unfortunatly this doesnt "live update" with the change in figures from LFS tweek which is what I wanna do.
Yep, those graphs are approximations of the LFS curves, not actually read from LFS memory. What you propose is significantly different.

As stated, you could do it either by driving the car and collecting outputs, then building the graph from data points (that's how I got the info in the first place), or read the engine variables from memory and generate it using the same equations.

The first approach will work, but is slow and tedious, and won't really help when creating tweaks as you are intending. The second approach would be great but good luck simulating an engine or reverse engineering the LFS code.
Quote from Bob Smith :but good luck simulating an engine or reverse engineering the LFS code.

Thanks for your input bob. And that brings me back to my original problem!

LFS engine physics engine! I doubt without the info needed my little project would get off the ground... who knows the LFS developers may decided to help out here! Then again maybe not...

I'd like to do it would be a good challenge though!
Quote from redneck_fury :i would have to say a dyno would be bitchin? who would be driving tho the computer or us?

Comments like these show a huge lack of understanding about how dynos work, and how to use them.
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
Quote from Wenom :I hope you make a S2 license checker in that program so demoracers won't get any satisfying feelings when using it instead of buying the full game.

My understanding is:

The latest LFS tweek only works on patch Q. There will not be further releases.

LFS tweek only works on the demo cars (XA, XR and XRT).

So licence or not surely that doesnt matter?

Like I said I wanna do it purley for personal interest and to increase my programming skills.
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
Why?
It's giving more to demo users who already got a lot from the LFS demo. This is also one of the reasons why, for now, LFS Tweak development is halted.
Quote from Bob Smith :It's giving more to demo users who already got a lot from the LFS demo. This is also one of the reasons why, for now, LFS Tweak development is halted.

Ahh I see what you mean.

What I propose to do is more of graphical bolt on - it doesn't give you the ability to change things just a graphical display - nothing more.

Besides I love driving my 600bhp 4wd XRT on patch Q - the game itself feels totally different on Patch V.. but thats going off subject!

If the developers of the software are willing to help me out then if they could let me know via a pm or email it would be appreciated...

...otherwise I'll have to spend my time working on statistical VB applications for my employer and I really dont wanna be doing that! :ouch:

Possible virtual "dyno"?
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG