The online racing simulator
I don't see a reason why someone couldn't start an engine sound thread over in the files section somewhere, so people can trade .eng files and such. If we're not going to hide access to the feature anymore we might as well make use of it.

To people with clipping, isn't there a global sound volume adjuster for the engine, so you could turn that down, kill the clipping, and not affect the sound. It's the one that goes up to 6, can't recall the name atm. Of course you'll have to back off the air intake and gearwhine sounds accordingly to keep everything balanced.
I have just had a quick mess with some of the cars and im not sayin they sound 100% realistic but just better in general.. i know there is sound clipping on some of the cars.

u need to extract these files to /data/engine

then load each one for the car one your ingame

opinions are welcome
Attached files
XRG_NICE1.zip - 1.7 MB - 787 views
Quote from Becky Rose :Bleh - I once played paintball, I can take you on!

Just before we do I need to ask, to get the last bullet out of the gun, the one that is in the chamber - this is after killing you of course - I do just cock the gun again right? And that expels the last bullet? Or should I just fire it into your bleeding corpse to get rid of it and make the gun safe again?

H O L Y S H I A T ! :bandit::bandit::bandit:
Is the default exhaust pulse sound available? I would like to apply a mild overdrive distortion to the default wave to make the race cars sound a bit more beefy, without resorting to clipping.
#80 - nilo
Quote from jamesgp2viper :Is the default exhaust pulse sound available? I would like to apply a mild overdrive distortion to the default wave to make the race cars sound a bit more beefy, without resorting to clipping.

Just click on the small "S" buttons on the right to export the default sounds.
Quote from nilo :Just click on the small "S" buttons on the right to export the default sounds.

Thanks! I somehow didn't notice it was that simple! illepall

This is a real breakthrough, there really is nothing stopping us from making killer engine sounds
#82 - Vain
Quote from jamesgp2viper :This is a real breakthrough, there really is nothing stopping us from making killer engine sounds

There are still some sound-sources missing.
Listen closely to onboard footage and you'll hear the engine sounds which we can approximate nicely, the gearwhine which sometimes fits, sometimes doesn't, and some other influences, most propably resonance from the chassis, and of course the obvious noise sources of things in a racecar that rattle, the occasional burp from the engine when off the throttle, squeaking brakediscs and dampers, etc.

Just a wild guess, but I think a simulated plain metal sheet (linear differential equotation of second order of three variables) with the correct constraints would propably deliver good results as a resonator. Though it'd propably need a lot of work to deliver something lifelike...

Vain
Quote from Blas89 :Well as it's not that official i wont use it I use to destroy everything xD

You could just create a copy of your original LFS folder and use it for testing.
ONE WORD, WOW!!

(I am happy)
Quote from Vain :By the way, the comparison of real life versus LFS makes me think that LFS's gearwhine is a bit off. I can hit the right pitch and volume, but it still sounds very monotoneous. No matter the muffler-settings.

my best guess is that the main problem is that all of lfses sounds are still sample based ... based on very short samples but still
this will nescessarily lead to some looping which is either audible if the sample is long (earlier u patches had that issue with the gear whine) or a very monotoneus sound if the sample is short
If you set gearwhine to max and turn muffling off, it's slightly better but still sounds so much like a jet engine. But now it's possible to turn the whine off from road cars.
I think we should consider this: Something that was supposed to hidden was exposed. The orginal developer of it, instead of blowing his top, has essentially said "well, you found it. Have fun with it!"

Bottom line is, Scavier puts ALOT of faith into us, and this really show that we as the players of the game, are so very important to them. Instead of trying to wipe out this thread, and to silence the ones who know it, Scawen just leans back and sees what happens. So for anyone who keeps crabbing about when S3 is to be released, before you send a reply, think of this thread, ok?

I know this wont last forever, but WOW! I am having fun with this!
Scawen said he didn't release it to us because we would all go and spend alot of time making our LFS sound nice and then a new patch comes out and pretty much voids all of your sweet sounds. So I guess we would have got it at one point.

And I don't think there is any way they could silence everybody who knew about it, I mean RSC and other forums have all been told about it so there would be no way of stopping this (from the devs anyway) so they done the smart thing by letting everyone find out in a way that they could have stopped but didn't.

I think that some of the cars don't sound a whole lot better once you've unleashed the editor on them as the samples arn't to good, but it's more than likely than someone will get better samples and release a pack at which you can easily edit the bits you don't like.
AM I DREAMING??
Completely OT but wow, loads of STCC drivers around! Can't wait to see you guys racing again! Wonder if someone is going to be able to stop Redman!
Looking forward to the next broadcast!!!
Quote from DaveWS :AM I DREAMING??

:woohoo:
Dave, Dave, .... he's our man - if he can't do it, ........ no one......... can.
:static: :static::static: :static: :static::static::static:
hey jason... your sig is wrong :P it's 1680x1050 I just got myself an acer 22"
22"wide1650x1050 CHEMEI LCD
Its the NGES version "NeverGetEnoughSleep" - have you not seen these out yet? Get back to work - LOL
OT and e-penis, but i have to tell the world of my undieing love for my Dell 24" @1920x1200

I love my 8800gts almost as much, my only problems are bad vision from my eyes orgasming constantly
lol nice... bet you didn't get yours delivered to your door for under $500 AU though :P

anyway, sorry for OT
Even better mate, XMAS PRESSY from my lovely girlfriend

Doesnt let me use my pc but thats another story
Woohoo!!
great
wohoo, let's do some fine tuning to some sounds. it's great
Fire breathing F08, etc

Real-time Engine Sound Editor
(221 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG