The online racing simulator
is the g25 worth it?
(37 posts, started )
Quote from Gunn :...One thing I've learned about game controllers over the years is that no matter how good the manufacturer tells you the device is, it is always wise to carry some spares.

I have to laugh just a little bit on this comment. Why? I bought my first wheel, the Thrustmaster T2 in 1996. Nine years later I retired it and bought the Momo in 2005, hehe. I actually pulled the T2 back out of its retirement and it is clamped at the other computer as I type this where my daughter plays. She's not doing LFS at the moment, now she is into Cabella's 4x4 Adventure 2.

I don't carry a spare. If my Momo would break, it would probably be a pretty big fight with the 6 year old to get her wheel from her, LOL.
Definitely worth it. It's not really that much dough in the grand scheme of things and it actually a steal for what you get at that price IMO.
lol ure a bit of a nut man lol do ya need that many spares lmao

Quote from Gunn :A two year warranty would have made me feel better about the monetary outlay. One thing I've learned about game controllers over the years is that no matter how good the manufacturer tells you the device is, it is always wise to carry some spares.

#29 - Gunn
Quote from Hurts2bStock :Lol..no wonder you think the g25 is overpriced, you bought the 2 pack...lol

I think it is overpriced based on what you actually get for your money. I still believe the G25 is the best wheel that Logitech have ever made and is head and shoulders above the Momo and DFP. Despite the leather and steel there are some very cheap components inside.

- The best value of the package would have to be the pedals (even though they are not ergonomic), they are a move in the right direction from Logitech.
- The best feature of the package would have to be the twin FFB motors (though for many consumers these have problems or have failed completely), they offer smooth and very responsive feedback.
- The best novelty of the package would have to be the shifter (though Logitech could have made this item better in quality and functionality at little extra cost or weight gain), it adds a new skill to racing and is fun to use.

Things that I consider to be shortcomings are the lack of buttons on the wheel itself. Four buttons minimum are required for me to consider it a good design. They have mounted the buttons on the shifter to save money, no other reason. Also note there are no LEDs on the wheel, another cost-cutting move and although it isn't a big deal, it would have been smart designing to put user-configurable LEDs on the wheel itself. Maybe next time?
I think the shifter is robust enough to get the job done but needs a longer throw. I've been toying with the idea of using small magnets to provide more resistance when changing from gear to gear, this might also eliminate the chance of accidentally knocking the shifter into neutral which is something that happens occasionally.

I love the G25, but I still think the price is a bit rude.

** @mrodgers: the Madcatz wheel pictured is still going strong after twelve years (with some minor repairs and maintanence). I doubt the Momo or G25 will be able to make that claim.
I have to say yes !

If I said anything else, I would be lying
They should have added a handbrake... cause you use it alot during racing
hahah actually just so i could use it rarely when drifting
#34 - Jakg
Shifter in sequential - pull back for handbrake!
Quote from staticxposition :They should have added a handbrake... cause you use it alot during racing

Maybe now and then on the muddy bits of rallyx... or if I`m spinning and want to end up pointing a certain way, but that`s about it.

Anyway, another vote for yes. I love this wheel.

Minus points - The grinding noise is a bit annoying around certain chicanes, but only when the volume is low at night. The angle of the buttons on the shifter is a bit strange too, but works great for me if the shifter is mounted lower down and at an angle so the buttons are vertical. Could do with at least two more buttons on the wheel. Cheap little microswitches behind the paddles.

Plus points - I like the shifter, a lot. I love the pedals. They feel great to me, especially compared to previous plastic pedals I`ve played with. Since I`m pretty big and strong, I don`t like plastic wheels/pedals, as I never hammer them for fear of breaking/snapping them. With the metal parts on the G25, I have no hesitation stomping on the pedals, or wrenching the wheel. Also, they seem to have a much better design than other logi pedals, and I can`t see them developing the really annoying sideways movements/spiking/calibration thing.

The FFB is way more than I`ve felt before in other wheels (possibly due to the two motors), so now I can turn it way up and fight it, rather than worrying I`ll wreck the single (weak) motor from previous wheels.

All in all, I`d say definitely worth it, especially as like someone else mentioned, You could easily head out on the piss for one night and spend that amount, and only end up with no cash and a bad headache the next day.

Cheers.
#37 - Jakg
Actually, when dicking about on the CLC server, h-shifter, 720 degrees is fun, but handbrake turning it is bettter

I just wish that i could um...i forget

is the g25 worth it?
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG